OK - for some reason I can't post, reply or do anything in the Business Matters forum???

So...new post time.

In a nutshell.....I have a big and expensive problem.

My beloved 20 year old Hiace Powervan passed her MOT this year, but with a LOT of advisories and I've been told in no uncertain terms to replace her before the next one becomes due. Basically, the rear end where the suspension joins the body is less than ideal and will need so much welding to pass next time that she's become unviable. The chassis itself is going rotten and whilst it will last for another 12 months.....(I know enough about cars to know that's fatal )

I trust my mechanic. He's never lied to me, he has nothing to gain from this (he doesn't sell vans and in fact, it'd make him more money to charge me for the welding). Add to this, he apprenticed on these particular vans and knows what he's looking at and it's not good news.

So....I'm in the market for a new disco bus. As those of you who follow me on Facebook will already know.....it's not ideal timing (I haven't yet completed a year self-employed and can ill afford to go splashing out on new wheels). But....needs must.

I can't really look at leasing or loans. For one reason or another (mainly stabilising Liz's health with epilepsy, which touching a lot of wood is now under control and I'm taking on a lot more bookings again), my first year's accounts being fully self-employed only just show a profit. We expected that and have contingencies in place, it's not a big shock and were prepared for a sparse year (not quite as sparse as it's been....but her health is more important).

Thankfully, 2020/2021 is finally starting to look a hell of a lot healthier (but it's still hard work!)

So, the money for any new transport is going to have to come from personal savings and the disco will pay it back as and when (the joys of being a sole trader, eh!)

I need something of a very similar size. I don't want to go along the lines of Vivaros, Transits and the like - they're too big and bulky. The majority of my gigs don't fill the Hiace if I'm honest. I don't stack stuff in there because it'll just fall over. A smaller van might be better for most gigs.

So, looking at the moment at a reasonably priced Nissan NV200 (2009 model, FSH etc.). It's not cheap, the cargo bay is a mess as it looks to have been owned by a decorator, but will be taking a proper look over the weekend (there goes any profit from 2019 ).

The Hiace sadly, due to the advisories on the last MOT will in all likelihood be scrapped (I'll get about £50 for her from the local scrappy....who will then turn it into thousands after taking it to bits panel by panel ), so there's no real trade-in value to be had. I'm starting from scratch on the van front.

Anyone got any real world experience of these vans?

Looking at the Honest John website, they appear to be reliable and trustworthy. I know what to look for mechanically and body-wise, but any real world usage advice would be really useful.

Or if there's something of a similar size?

I've got to admit, I could possibly squeeze 99% of gigs into something like a Transit Connect or a Vauxhall combo. For larger shows such as the Retro setup or LOVE letters, I own a box trailer and having a tow-bar fitted to a smaller van could be a possibility.

Open to ideas....what are YOU using?