Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elusive Feedback

Default The Elusive Feedback

Bit of a bee in my bonnet. I am starting to get really pd off with the amount of effort and great weddings I am having, only to have zero feedback afterwards.

So, I have started emailing a few afterwards – offering congratulations, check everything was ok etc etc, and still nothing.

Yet, currently around half my private bookings are coming via recommendations or from people who had attended a wedding so must be doing something right.

Has anyone got any sort of ‘plan’ they use to try and get that illusive feedback, similar to when someone enquires and we chase up the enquiry ?

There are many with plenty feedback and reviews, but most (not all) is false and this doesn’t interest me, I only want genuine feedback
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

The amount of people I've had hanging on my arm at the end of gigs promising to send me the most favourable reviews imaginable is huge.

The reviews received, well I'll let you guess.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Make it as easy as possible for people to leave a review.

In your case, Chris, send them to https://search.google.com/local/writ...kgRs6GAvNCNwF0

Peter: https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/review

Have these on QR Codes if you like (everyone's used to them, now).... point at them when the drunk happy folks are all over you at the end of the night... just don't have them prominently on display or you'll get regular reviews from folks whose requests you didn't play!

You can take a horse to water and all that.

That said I can only speak for myself but I never leave reviews after people bug me for them. If I get above and beyond services I'll search them to leave feedback but otherwise I won't bother. I think most folks are the same. You start to sour things if you try and strong arm them into doing so I think.

I've had countless amount of clients who emailed to say thank you etc... where can I leave a review? I always try and point them to google but also link to facebook....and yeah they never do.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

We're getting pestered, harangued and HARASSED to give feedback about all sorts of services now so I'm not surprised people aren't falling over themselves to leave reviews. Buy a flipping pencil from Amazon & they'll send you emails NAGGING you to wax lyrical about how amazing the experience was.

Anyway, they came up to thank you for a job well done as you were packing down, ISN'T THAT ENOUGH?

Seriously though, I don't have any answers here. A mate of mine tried a certain seminar giving DJ's tips on getting clients to worship the ground you walk on. No discernible change in customer behaviour. "Oooo free stuff! That's nice....".

Maybe the key is to not just exceed customer expectations but 'blow them away'. This probably varies from simply showing up on time to saving a bride's parents' life while leading a conga around the venue handing out free drinks.

Some gigs, I'm glad I didn't receive reviews for . Imagine last week's bride had left one including the snide comment about them having picked ,'most of the music'. Noooooo! :Lol:

It bugs the life out of me how two of my mates in particular don't just get reviews. They get multi paragraph tomes from couples basically outlining how god-like they were. Unprompted apparently. And yet, they're not doing that different a job to me. Different people in slightly different demographics though..... Mind, both do have such a gift of the gab.... You've either got it, or you don't?
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 03-10-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Here's a thought.

What about a body worn camera to record the "end of the night pat on the back" - a quick check afterwards to make sure they're happy for you to use it and wham! Video testimonials that cannot be faked.

Or am I just being a ?

Made a big response on my phone but it's disappeared

Have you considered that you just might not be very good?

Someone has already hit it on the head - you make it as easy as possible for them to do it - if it was you, would you go to the effort of writing out an e-mail for all of the suppliers you were happy with, even when prompted?...

The day after the gig I send them out an e-mail thanking them and with a link courting feedback, good, bad or indifferent that literally takes less than a minute to complete.

2 multiple choice questions:

How did you rate my service prior to the booking? (contract, communication, website etc...)
    How did you rate my service during the event? (performance, equipment set up, attire etc...)

The choruses are:
    Excellent
    Good
    OK
    Poor

2 open questions:
    Do you have any feedback comments?

Is there anything I could do to improve my service?

Then I don't mention the link but I send over their video within a week or two so I'm fresh in their mind and if I haven't heard back, I send them a reminder a month after the wedding.

The vast majority of clients respond - since adopting this tactic halfway through 2018, so when you take COVID of the equation, around 2 years worth of gigging feedback, I've got 66 returns and 22 with none and some of those are very recent so I'd expect them to respond in the coming weeks 75% is pretty good if you ask me and there's also people who just go direct to Google and FB so it's probably closer to 85-90% response.

I put all comments on my website, they range from the screeds of effusive bumming up to literally - "you were great" and I've got 100% "excellent" responses for the multiple choices and given my feedback goes back for years and there's hundreds or examples on the site, I doubt anyone things I'm desperate enough to make it all up.

The 'not good enough' aspect has crossed my mind a lot more than once believe me.

But if your mic work with the first dance & cake etc got the desired results, the dancefloor was not only heaving all night but bouncing, you played all their requests even the crap ones , then got them a rousing sendoff at the end what more do they want?! What more could you have done? You don't just turn up either, there's little emails checking all's well before the event, wishing them all the best the day before, congratulating them again the next day...

Generally, I get at least one half of a couple thanking me profusely at the end as I'm packing down. To me that indicates I did a good job. Worthy of a review, hinted at in an email with direct links to Google & Facebook review leaving pages? Possibly. So why do less than half bother & even those only write a sentence or two? . Now it may be that to leave a Google review you need a Google account & to be signed in. I know for a fact they're on Facebook because they've liked my page... So what's the deal?

It might be that they just don't like me as a person. Heck, I don't even like me as person half the time

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    The 'not good enough' aspect has crossed my mind a lot more than once believe me.

But if your mic work with the first dance & cake etc got the desired results, the dancefloor was not only heaving all night but bouncing, you played all their requests even the crap ones , then got them a rousing sendoff at the end what more do they want?! What more could you have done? You don't just turn up either, there's little emails checking all's well before the event, wishing them all the best the day before, congratulating them again the next day...

Generally, I get at least one half of a couple thanking me profusely at the end as I'm packing down. To me that indicates I did a good job. Worthy of a review, hinted at in an email with direct links to Google & Facebook review leaving pages? Possibly. So why do less than half bother & even those only write a sentence or two? . Now it may be that to leave a Google review you need a Google account & to be signed in. I know for a fact they're on Facebook because they've liked my page... So what's the deal?

It might be that they just don't like me as a person. Heck, I don't even like me as person half the time
    It can be baffling mate. While counting up my returns I was surprised to see that what I regard as my best ever gig didn't send feedback.

This is despite the whole wedding being incredible - I felt like a famous club DJ it was going off that much.
    The couple in question recommended me to another handful of their friends over the past few years and always make a point of catching up when said weddings roll round.
    I bumped into them weirdly picking up a hire car for my work a few years ago, I didn't even recognise them since they weren't dressed up but they were like 'JIM!!!! how are you? Hey sales dude, this guy is the best DJ EVER!!!! Get his number incase you ever need a DJ!!!"
    A DJ pal of mine sent me a message a couple of years back - "I'm in the bowling club across from Ibrox and this guy won't shut up about how good the DJ at his wedding was when I told him I was a DJ. I asked and it turns out it was you. He said hi and he likes you even better now knowing you're a Bluenose too."

I suppose it's just a case of you can't win them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Have you considered that you just might not be very good?

Then I don't mention the link but I send over their video within a week or two so I'm fresh in their mind and if I haven't heard back, I send them a reminder a month after the wedding.

The vast majority of clients respond - since adopting this tactic halfway through 2018, so when you take COVID of the equation, around 2 years worth of gigging feedback, I've got 66 returns and 22 with none and some of those are very recent so I'd expect them to respond in the coming weeks 75% is pretty good if you ask me and there's also people who just go direct to Google and FB so it's probably closer to 85-90% response.

I put all comments on my website, they range from the screeds of effusive bumming up to literally - "you were great" and I've got 100% "excellent" responses for the multiple choices and given my feedback goes back for years and there's hundreds or examples on the site, I doubt anyone things I'm desperate enough to make it all up.
    I had actually considered maybe I wasn't impressing enough - but to then get enquiries saying I DJ'd at xxxxx wedding and they gave them my details, makes me question it more lol.

Ahh, giving away a free service (ie video) will make a massive difference. To be honest I think I must be one of the minority of DJs not to do night time photography for free (or in simple terms taking 100+ decent photos and giving them away for free), but maybe something to look into but I am simply there to play music and make a few announcements.

Maybe it is a case of ask, then maybe ask again, just more emails etc to send.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk