Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: jingles?

Default jingles?

Would it be 'right' to drop a few jingles into a Retro music night?......

Been asked if we could do it!

Cringe

That said, for Retro nights I've been known to drop in old TV ads and themes (where appropriate).

What sort of jingles exactly?

Retro TV theme tunes work really well, especially when it's a decade specific night.

I think they are talking about tv themes and not "and now its, back in time to the 1970s" type ones!

Waiting for a reply from them

I used to be well known in a certain town for my use of 'interesting drop-ins'. Amassed from all kinds of sources from films to adverts to music factory toolkits they could add a certain 'something' to a set.

For retro nights, clips of old ads, films & theme tunes can really help you take things up a notch. The key, as always is in knowing how much & when to do them. It's all too easy to overdo it!

For a birthday party I did a few years ago, a little birdy told me the birthday girls favourite TV show as a teenager was Fraggle Rock... Well stone me if I wasn't prepared to make a nice edit just to help her roasting..

For background sections definitely... For dancing time.. it'd be a no unless they're either 'clean' (voice only) or very short.. or something they could dance to.

total agree...

"".....it'd be a no unless they're either 'clean' (voice only) or very short.. or something they could dance to...."

ah.....so what words/sentences???

difficult one this!

I used to do it all the time when I did dedicated 'retro' nights and it worked well.
    Another thing I did (which I am sure many on here have done too).....If it was (for example), an 80's night and there were some in fancy dress, I would play the TV theme for that person.
    Again (for example), at the last one I did, nearly everybody was in fancy dress and as each guest turned up, I would play their TV theme. I was lucky in the fact that I had a number of TV / Film themes on CD from when I was using CD's and looking back, it was a good decision to rip all of them, even if they weren't going to be used that often.

From memory, I think the only theme I didn't have on that occasion was Banana Man.

Apologies for going slightly off topic there. I think certain 'jingles' and sound effects can work well at the right time. Although saying that, I did have a couple of CD's back in the day (which I also ripped to digital) which had lots of jingles and effects on them (for example, the 'toilet of doom' etc...), but they weren't great and dare I say it, very cheesy.

I did use the 'Countdown' clock quite a lot though (the 30 second one from the quiz show) and that always got a good response.

Have them ready, doesn't mean you have to use them. Play it by ear on the night.

Personally I think "cringe" when I hear them, but it's about your crowd and not what I think .
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I've always had some compilation jingles stored on my play out system. Some voiceovers, happy birthday, special occasions and tv themes. I only ever really used to use them for children's parties. One I recall using was the Benny Hill theme for games I used to include with the disco. Also for the younger parties I would play I'm Forever Blowing bubbles alongside my bubble effect machine. There were a few others but I rarely used them at weddings or adult birthdays etc.
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Would it be 'right' to drop a few jingles into a Retro music night?......

Been asked if we could do it!
    If you have been asked, presumably by your client "if we could do it", then the answer is "yes" (assuming you can). I have run a few 70's and 80's nights in the past and used the cheesy "remember this golden classic" and the like. It all adds to the retro atmosphere.