Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Research

Default Music Research

Other than scanning music pools or checking the charts - Where do you regularly go to find music that could be popular and could be added to some of your playlists? Basically places to find what's hot and not for different styles of music not just pop but hip hop, rnb, dance etc I'm just looking for a place I can go to where I can discover more music that might go down well on the dancefloor!
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

For mainstream stuff, keep an eye on what commercial radio is playing.

Capital and Kiss for younger adults and Heart for an older audience.

Also, themed stations like absolute 80s and kisstory are good for knowing what older songs are still testing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post
    Other than scanning music pools or checking the charts - Where do you regularly go to find music that could be popular and could be added to some of your playlists? Basically places to find what's hot and not for different styles of music not just pop but hip hop, rnb, dance etc I'm just looking for a place I can go to where I can discover more music that might go down well on the dancefloor!

I'll caveat this with saying 98% of my work is weddings, the other 2% is corporate so I don't need to be super up to date on a massive range of genres.

I listen to radio 1 in the car on the way to work and back simple as that, over the years I've got quite adept at sussing out what I should pick up, most of it is short lifespan stuff - see Dance Monkey and the new Weekend tune, some have a bit more longevity but you're talking a handful of new songs per year I pick up and keep. The rest (baby shark anyone?) I'll keep until it's run its course then bin.

I like going back to tracks that were stone cold essentials some months ago but now are played out.
    Dance Monkey is a good example.
    I then go looking for a good remix (Soundcloud?) that injects life back into it.
    See recent discussion in Music thread for other examples.
    Another example for the ‘toe tapping’ phase of the evening when you are just getting folks in the mood to dance is the Fleetwood Mac Dreams remix by Psychemagik - old song, new twist.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudswiper View Post
    I like going back to tracks that were stone cold essentials some months ago but now are played out.
    Dance Monkey is a good example.
    I then go looking for a good remix (Soundcloud?) that injects life back into it.
    See recent discussion in Music thread for other examples.
    Another example for the ‘toe tapping’ phase of the evening when you are just getting folks in the mood to dance is the Fleetwood Mac Dreams remix by Psychemagik - old song, new twist.
    Thanks, I will take a look at the other thread. Interesting what you say about the remixes via SoundCloud. I've never used that for DJing only for radio shows I also do. What sort of material can you get on there (do you have any links), are they all good to playout quality and legality wise and in comparison to record pools do you get similar intro/outro mixes?

I've heard a few say how djs can use SoundCloud but I've never looked into it for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'll caveat this with saying 98% of my work is weddings, the other 2% is corporate so I don't need to be super up to date on a massive range of genres.

I listen to radio 1 in the car on the way to work and back simple as that, over the years I've got quite adept at sussing out what I should pick up, most of it is short lifespan stuff - see Dance Monkey and the new Weekend tune, some have a bit more longevity but you're talking a handful of new songs per year I pick up and keep. The rest (baby shark anyone?) I'll keep until it's run its course then bin.
    Thanks, not the dreaded baby shark. Are you still playing this very often nowadays? I've not listened to radio 1 for a good few years. Guess I'll have to try and get back to it even though it's not aimed at my age demographic it will be for those who book me. I'm more local radio myself given I'm also volunteer presenter for radio shows. Listening to other stations can then be considered going to the dark side!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    For mainstream stuff, keep an eye on what commercial radio is playing.

Capital and Kiss for younger adults and Heart for an older audience.

Also, themed stations like absolute 80s and kisstory are good for knowing what older songs are still testing well.
    Being a presenter on local radio the last few years I haven't tended to listen to some stations like like radio 1. I've tended to go radio 2 or even internet stations via the Alexa device from around the World. I have flicked through DAB in the car. Those Absolute ones are pretty good. I find Heart and Capital highly repetitive with the same 20-30 songs on rotation all day. I guess they are ok to dip in and out of every so often.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 09-03-2020 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Merged posts
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Being a presenter on local radio the last few years I haven't tended to listen to some stations like like radio 1. I find Heart and Capital highly repetitive with the same 20-30 songs on rotation all day. I guess they are ok to dip in and out of every so often.
    I'm not suggesting listen for your own pleasure. I'm saying to listen because Heart and Capital are bang on the money with the music they play.

They spend a lot of money on music research. This thread is about music research - and none of us are going to actually be able to spend the money Heart and Capital spend on music research.

Capital and Heart play a small number of records because they test well and are what the listeners want. It's for the same reason that at weddings and most mainstream mobile gigs, the best DJs will typically play from a small pool of music - we're playing the bangers that the punters want to hear. It really is that simple.

Although my work is slightly more varied, I too am finding that as a lot of modern music isn't as dancefloor friendly as say the 90's dance a lot of us are being asked for now, I can often go a long period of time without playing any hip and happening tunes, even though I may have a lot of them through subscription sites.

I'm not suggesting listen for your own pleasure. I'm saying to listen because Heart and Capital are bang on the money with the music they play.

They spend a lot of money on music research. This thread is about music research - and none of us are going to actually be able to spend the money Heart and Capital spend on music research.
    Knowledge is power.

Capital and Heart play a small number of records because they test well and are what the listeners want. It's for the same reason that at weddings and most mainstream mobile gigs, the best DJs will typically play from a small pool of music - we're playing the bangers that the punters want to hear. It really is that simple.
    Heresy! Burn him! Pass me my pitchfork!

OK, levity over. Shades of Rex Bob Lowenstein here, sadly. Gavin has a valid point of course, lowest common denominator. Give the people what they want. The Sun isn't a great work of literature, but it sells millions of copies every morning. Cha Cha Slide isn't Beethoven's Fifth, but it's being played at many more gigs on a Saturday night.
    And of course, there will be the backlash, of brides asking DJ's to play " anything except the normal wedding songs", cos they're sick of them.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Re Soundcloud

Some tracks have links to free downloads or places you can buy the track.

To be frank I often rip the tune I want to try out then listen to it for a week in the car or in a quite moment.
    If I like it I then search for somewhere to get a legitimate copy to play out. If it fails the test I delete it.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

...I've never used that for DJing only for radio shows I also do.
    I'm more local radio myself given I'm also volunteer presenter for radio shows.
    Being a presenter on local radio the last few years I haven't tended to listen to some stations like like radio 1.
    I feel like that there is something that you are trying to convey in your post, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I am the same and admit all I do really is download the charts from DMC every couple of months which covers most eventualities. Working regularly helps me keep up to date with what is needed - downloading on the fly is invaluable - together with taking song requests before the weddings.

Even then, half the songs I download in the charts I rarely use.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk