Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    we will take requests by text
    There's an app for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Great stuff- How do I get it Marc?

Great stuff- How do I get it Marc?
    TBH, I'm unsure if it's in a useable / production states. Let's just say it's still in beta right now. If you set up an "ask" subdomain on your main domain (e.g. ask.mydomain.co.uk) and point the A record at 83.223.98.172 I'll see if I can setup a useable instance for you (free of charge - no warranty or liability - you're essentially a guinea pig!).

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Terms & Conditions need to be a 'living document' updated when there's a need to. All Discos should have one.

I recall back in 2007 when the smoking ban became law, some clients ignored it for functions on private land such as marquees. I altered my T&C and worked with the clients and had no problems. But the 'belt and braces' approach i've found helpful and have served me well.

By including a clause in my T&C I am not only protecting myself but as you rightly say also my clients. In fact, I've taken many future bookings since lockdown where the client has sought my reassurance that I won't following them around the venue v

The point is, that the client signs the contract, and the behaviour of guests according to the contract remains their responsibility, the same time, threatening or abusive behaviour would also breach the T&C's. I've ended 3 functions over my 37 years of DJ'ing, 2 for abusive behaviour and the other 1 breached health and safety of my guests.

Social distancing is here for some time to come, and I think the deliberate breaches to comply with the law/guidelines would be more than reasonable to stop any event. Communication to the stakeholders is key both beforehand and at the event to avoid unnecessary issues, and for us to mitigate issues such as using a stage where possible, stating that we will take requests by text, marking out an area to comply with the law/guidance.
    What does your T&C's say about Measles?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    What does your T&C's say about Measles?
    Good point

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm working on September for getting back out there.

The following is about to happen within the next few weeks:

Airlines will be running foreign summer holidays, with full planes with no social distancing on the plane
    Pubs and restaurants will be soon reopening
    And they are looking at decreasing the 2 metre distancing to 1 metre.
    What I have bolded there is what has been niggling at me the most. I've predicted a return in October but have accepted 2020 being out for the count.

However...

With pubs and restaurants opening, I really cannot see the justification of only allowing a "reported" [insert pinch of salt here] ten person ceremony and then no reception afterwards. If you are allowed to eat and drink in a public place (with a bit of distancing), why can that not happen at a wedding? What is the distinction?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    What I have bolded there is what has been niggling at me the most. I've predicted a return in October but have accepted 2020 being out for the count.

However...

With pubs and restaurants opening, I really cannot see the justification of only allowing a "reported" [insert pinch of salt here] ten person ceremony and then no reception afterwards. If you are allowed to eat and drink in a public place (with a bit of distancing), why can that not happen at a wedding? What is the distinction?

My thought is that things are going to reopen quicker than we're giving credit for purely through economic and social pragmatism.

You've already pointed out a major flaw in the phase logic, people are already fed up and the longer things go on, the more things are just going to have to get done.

Our kids are due back in school in under 2 months. The planned set up just now is very intense and even with the best intentions - it's simply not going to be workable long term so exceptions are going to have to be made, restrictions loosened and dare I say, the odd blind eye turned to minor infringements. If I had to put a bet on it we'll start seeing the set up being slackened by the October holidays providing there's no increase in infections.

Same for businesses including venues - there's a tipping point whereby they simply won't be able to reopen which means more unemployed which is a bigger strain on the social plus harder to get the economy running when half the folk are on the brew and the other half don't have anywhere to go out and spend their money. If social distancing is reduced to 1m then just about every venue going will be able to reopen under the assumption that people will self regulate.

Just to add a curveball to this though...

I know a few people who work for the NHS. The general consensus from doctors is that they are very worried about the current quick 'unlocking' of the economy.

They are deeply worried about a second wave coming soon.

If that does arrive soon, and the 'R' rate increase quickly, the action the Government does or doesn't take at that stage will start to determine how quickly we get back up and running.

Even if it does pick up, I can't see them doing a second lockdown. But nothing is off the table these days!

I know a few people who work for the NHS. The general consensus from doctors is that they are very worried about the current quick 'unlocking' of the economy.

If that does arrive soon, and the 'R' rate increase quickly, the action the Government does or doesn't take at that stage will start to determine how quickly we get back up and running.

Even if it does pick up, I can't see them doing a second lockdown. But nothing is off the table these days!
    Funnily enough, a lot of my supermarket grocery deliveries in my new found "career" are NHS doctors and nurses, some of them right on the front line of dealing with this thing! The conversations on the doorstep run along VERY similar lines to what you've said Gavin - they're scared that it's going to blow up again.

Talking to non medical customers, it's divided opinion. Around 80% of them seem to think things are going too fast and it's all going to end in tears, whilst the other 20% are ready and raring to go. Now if 80% of my very small survey are too scared about the speed in which things are moving....how many of them are going to want to go to a nice crowded and sweaty village hall?

Will we be locked down again? Who knows. The threat is there (even on a local level). Can the country afford it? Probably not. And the other thing to consider, will Joe Public will be quite so obedient about it a second time around?

I've been trying to follow this after reading about fears about spikes after certain things (eg VE day, protests etc) & so far there doesn't seem to have been anything massive - some speculation about local spikes in cases after gatherings but nothing proven yet. The medical profession have good right to be cautious - as do any of us, but we also have a right to try to withdraw from our lockdown. Without dragging politics into this thread, there's definitely a possibility that profit is being put before lives (que sera there, folks) but is there just a little too much caution being applied sometimes? I don't know the answer but one thing is clear - the people in power said that we'd only arrive at certain stages if we'd met specific criteria - and there doesn't seem to be very much evidence of that.