Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    One part of me says " even that would be a licence to work, and very very welcome", but the cautious part of me is thinking " well yes, but at current infection levels, is it actually safe? I mean safe enough, safe"?

Yours, confused Old Git.
    I think the key here is being realistic. Much as I would love to get back to work, if social distancing does indeed spread this virus, it would be stupid to allow dancefloors to reopen. Let's face it, a few pints of stella and nobody social distances and realistically what will happen if you try and tell everyone to stop singing along to Oasis ?

The main problem I find at the moment is the 'bending of the rules'. Karaoke has been mentioned, but I think Sheila screaming down the microphone to Grease will cause more problems than anything else. This 30 rule is a but silly as well - it is as if they are saying 'it is ok for 30 people to spread the virus each time, but no more than 30'.

I still maintain a stricter lockdown was needed, for much longer, then by now we should be seeing the light instead of darkness ahead.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    This 30 rule is a but silly as well - it is as if they are saying 'it is ok for 30 people to spread the virus each time, but no more than 30'.
    I think the idea of the rule was 'for those who really want to do get married you can. They needed an upper limit - and I think 30 is fair to enable your closest friends and family to be with you in a socially distanced way (based on the guidelines that come with it).

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I still maintain a stricter lockdown was needed, for much longer, then by now we should be seeing the light instead of darkness ahead.
    Spain had a much stricter lockdown - and look what has happened.

The reality is the genie is out the lamp. When we are locked down it reduces, but it is near on impossible to eradicate completely, so every time we come out of a lockdown the numbers will increase. Hence the 'new normal' of living with the virus in a way that it is manageable, rather than trying to eradicate it.

I can see pubs being closed again soon after the kids go back to school. The leisure industry is not going to be in a good place at the time this virus is around.

I've had three goes at replying lately, and got sidetracked every time. Basically, I think Gavin has got it just about spot on, and Chris isn't too far wide of the mark, either.
    Sadly, I think we're going to be viewed as " frippery" more than an essential need, and I believe we're going to be the last ones back to work.

Our job tends to make transmission easier, and for no discernible gain ( other than our pockets ). It's going to get worse before it gets better. I've already noticed some suppliers having big problems, so it's affecting the whole industry, not just the mobile jocks.

In the words of Sam Cooke, " A change is gonna come ". Blimey, but I've seen a few in my time, and this looks like being the biggest.

Yours, Methuselah.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've already noticed some suppliers having big problems, so it's affecting the whole industry, not just the mobile jocks.
    In terms of perspective, I'm pleased I have a single mobile disco, that doesn't cost a huge amount each month to keep stored in a lockup (and if I *really* needed to, could bring it back and store in the garage).

I have a friend who runs an events company - we're talking stages, sound and lighting for the big festivals. That comes with a lot of storage, which will have a high monthly cost, as well as any other costs of running the business (when you run your own building, there's insurance, rates, maintenance and security costs to all be factored in), whilst all that equipment just sits there with no sign of it coming out again soon.

So in many ways, the best out of a bad situation is we've come off more lightly than others, in that we can go and do a 9-5 job instead to pay the bills, and the disco aspect for most of us won't cripple us with its ongoing costs whilst it's hibernating. For many larger businesses, it's those ongoing costs that will collapse the business completely.

Sorry, it's the only slim 'positive' I can find from our current situation.

As an additional thought - I came back into this industry back in 2014/2015 and basically purchased all the kit brand new on credit card, knowing I could get enough bookings within 12 months to pay off the cost of the equipment. It never crossed my mind at the time that something like this could occur.

In the words of Sam Cooke, " A change is gonna come ". Blimey, but I've seen a few in my time, and this looks like being the biggest.

And there we all were not 12 months ago worrying about the changes things like Spotify were bringing to the table

I don't think ANYBODY could have foreseen this one coming in their wildest dreams. Let's face it, we were all expecting it to blow over after 3 months or so.

I'm now thinking seriously about the future. I can keep things "ticking over" for around £1k p.a (that's storage, insurance and website hosting). Everything else is gone for now. I can keep it ticking over for as long as needs be, although if I'm honest I'll be looking seriously at jacking it in if we're not back this time next year.

IF/WHEN we do go back, it's unlikely to be full time for me as much as I loved everything that came with that route. I have a backup now which (sort of) pays the bills and it'll be useful as a buffer should something like this ever happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

I don't think ANYBODY could have foreseen this one coming in their wildest dreams. Let's face it, we were all expecting it to blow over after 3 months or so.
    In March, I couldn't countenance September bookings being at risk. Silly me!

I'm now thinking seriously about the future. I can keep things "ticking over" for around £1k p.a (that's storage, insurance and website hosting). Everything else is gone for now. I can keep it ticking over for as long as needs be, although if I'm honest I'll be looking seriously at jacking it in if we're not back this time next year.
    I'm thinking similar things.

IF/WHEN we do go back, it's unlikely to be full time for me as much as I loved everything that came with that route. I have a backup now which (sort of) pays the bills and it'll be useful as a buffer should something like this ever happen again.
    I wasn't full time, although all my income comes from self employment. My cunning plan was to ease off The Day Job, and put more into the Disco. Blimey, but I have some stupid ideas!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I wasn't full time, although all my income comes from self employment. My cunning plan was to ease off The Day Job, and put more into the Disco. Blimey, but I have some stupid ideas!
    Ironically, I was just starting to plan how I could try and ditch one of my jobs. Not possible now.

Ive just gone back over the reopening road map again and realised that the next 1st October date is specifically focused on business events and conferences with relaxation on gatherings planned for Nov 'at the earliest'.

Hmm. I still have a prom booked for the 4th Sept who are refusing to cancel yet. I'm not sure what kind of miracle they're expecting in the next 10 days.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

In March, I couldn't countenance September bookings being at risk.

Guess what......

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Guess what......
    It's nearly September, and I can't see March bookings going ahead at the moment

It's nearly September, and I can't see March bookings going ahead at the moment
    I thought it would be interesting to look at the early part of the thread (where naturally, we would all be optimistic about this situation passing quickly)...

MY own personal view...this will be done and dusted by around June and will actually be treated similar to the average seasonal cold or flu.

Who knows, the tail end of 2020 could make it a bumper year