Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Hybrid View

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

I'm surprised that this isn't a thread already.

So this morning, I had my first client concern from a client about the Coronavirus. At the time of my reply, there were rumours about the Government restricting gatherings above a certain number. To me, that suggests mass gatherings as opposed to sub-200 people at the local wedding venue. If they were to ban smaller numbers, they would have to close a lot of pub and restaurants and the news would be dominated by landlords talking about the death of the industry akin to when the smoking ban was implemented.

I know what I have replied and what my contract terms are. This is a birthday party client and essentially I have said that if the Government dictates that you need to postpone your event, then we'll postpone. If it's on a date that I am available before the end of 2020, we'll just move the date. If I'm unavailable, then I'll have to refer to the cancellation fees (which, at this point, is full fee) but if I can resell the date, then I'll give a full refund.

This is the most 'middle ground' that I feel that I can achieve but when it comes to weddings, this may be a bit of tricky situation as dates later on in the year may not be available. As much as we try to prevent otherwise, we may fall foul of force majeure here.

Yes, we have the same problem. 3 events have been cancelled in April, and they said looking to change the date for later in the year. These are not wedding booking but award and corporative events

I've had my first cancellation today as a result.

Waiting for the schools to close now and then the school discos will disappear too.

We're in for a hell of a tough year watching the news at the moment. They're saying the "peak" will be in around 3 months time.....just in time for Wedding Season starting properly.
    As for contracts there's a video on Facebook from a solicitor who does a LOT of stuff in the wedding industry, and what she says happens in different circumstances is frightening to say the least.

Aaaand there go another two

So far only one cancellation - before cancellations became a thing.

The first cancellation was a bit tenuous - it was a 007 black tie ball, that was scheduled around the date of the new 007 movie release.

With the movie being put back due to "careful consideration and thorough evaluation of the global theatrical marketplace", it seems they were ahead of what was happening.

Naturally, the black tie ball needed to be postponed too.

And I've had an email today from a client asking about their wedding in April. It seems they are keen for it to go ahead, but want to understand what happens in the event they are forced to postpone their wedding.

So in both cases, a postponement, rather than cancellation.

Fortunately, I've been focusing my attention on other areas over the past 24 months, and this was the first year where I've reduced my bookings as the income from my other venture has come in to replace it, so I've been fortunate in that respect.

But a bumpy year ahead (this will have a knock on effect for months, possibly years).

As a simple little soul, I have one main question.

Do we keep taking bookings? Is there a point, if we're possibly going to have to write them off later?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk