Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I work with a barbers, and they too are hoping to be able to re-open in July.

Both staff and the customer will wear face masks, and they'll only be cutting hair (no beard trims etc).

The top example you've detailed works fine, as social distancing can be maintained, and the area cleaned between clients.

It's the babrers that all work in on small environment that will struggle, as there will be a limit to how many can work at any one time, due to the social distancing requirements in place.

However, 2 x barbers and 2 x staff in a shop is still very different to 100 x people in one room at a wedding.

That said, don't expect much notice for weddings to be back on. If it's anything like estate agents, they found out at 9pm one evening that they were back in work the next day.

So it could be very short notice from sitting around, to going back out.

Now here's the twist: if venues do get permitted to hold weddings again sooner than expected, how many venues will suddenly be getting the couples to put their wedding back to the original date?!
    Oof! If anyone is under the illusion it's gonna be business as usual when hospitality reopens again in July, they might well be very mistaken. Just because a wedding is being allowed to happen, it doesn't necessarily follow that it'll be without social distancing rules. Call me a rank pessimist but I doubt we'll see dancing events being allowed til October at the earliest & that's IF the blessed R number stays low enough in the interim. All bets are off!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Just because a wedding is being allowed to happen, it doesn't necessarily follow that it'll be without social distancing rules. Call me a rank pessimist but I doubt we'll see dancing events being allowed til October at the earliest & that's IF the blessed R number stays low enough in the interim. All bets are off!
    Now this is where contracts come in and get complicated.

Couple are booked for September. Wedding is on, but with severe social distancing restrictions in place. Venue can accommodate that, so couple can't cancel their wedding.

As you're booked, and can still perform (it's easy for us as DJs to socially distance), then we still need to turn up - otherwise the client is cancelling.

So we turn up and do a socially distanced disco (with no one dancing).

Those first few gigs could be a bit soul destroying, but we'll end up doing them more through contractual reasons than anything else.

Just my prediction.

So we turn up and do a socially distanced disco (with no one dancing).

Those first few gigs could be a bit soul destroying, but we'll end up doing them more through contractual reasons than anything else.

Just my prediction.
    Sadly though, that's one possible outcome (and it's something I've seen one of the wedding industry "bodies" lobbying for just today - complete clarification on what's what when it comes to taking the brakes off of weddings)

I'm a little more pessimistic though - I can't see anything this side of Christmas, or indeed Easter. They may well decide to allow weddings, but will possibly then stipulate that it's ONLY the wedding and no mass gatherings or entertainment as a part of it.

This is the very reason I've now gone and got a job. If nothing else, it's relieved a hell of a lot of pressure from worrying about what's going to happen in the future for now.

Default I give up!

Just had an email from one of my few remaining brides (mid August).

The venue have been in touch and it's all systems go. No mention of reduced numbers, social distancing or anything. They're assuming the attitude of business as normal and expecting a big switch to be thrown

I feel so sorry for the bride - she's sitting there planning a wedding which she knows isn't going to happen but there's nothing she can do about it.
    Makes me so angry!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Oof! If anyone is under the illusion it's gonna be business as usual when hospitality reopens again in July, they might well be very mistaken. Just because a wedding is being allowed to happen, it doesn't necessarily follow that it'll be without social distancing rules. Call me a rank pessimist but I doubt we'll see dancing events being allowed til October at the earliest & that's IF the blessed R number stays low enough in the interim. All bets are off!
    I have heard through various sources that the main reason for allowing weddings so soon are for the terminally ill etc. Yes, if people want a 'just the 2 of us' wedding they can, but as far as the majority of weddings it is still a no-go. Can't see it really affecting us much and still think this year at a minimum is out.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The venue have been in touch and it's all systems go. No mention of reduced numbers, social distancing or anything. They're assuming the attitude of business as normal and expecting a big switch to be thrown
    Maybe one for the unpopular opinion thread, but the venue is just following current guidelines. If the Government really plan on opening hospitality services from July, is it really unfathomable for a wedding to go ahead 6 weeks or so later?

[Note that this is not my view, as my many posts in this thread will attest to]

Personally, I feel incredibly sorry for venues - as much as I do our clients. At the end of the day, they are the ones who are going to get most of the brunt of everything and for the most part, we only get involved when we receive an email saying "We've moved our wedding to X date!" (some exceptions have occurred). Imagine being as empathetic as you can be whilst having to negotiate with highly emotional clients and telling them that their Saturday in August Wedding will now be happening on a Thursday in April and if they want a Saturday next August, chances are that they will have to make up the difference. Comparatively, I'd rather stick to my position on the totem pole.

Due to my position on the totem pole, I've ended up losing four bookings due to postponements but I have found them alternative DJs to take my place, which means that I have become (albeit, temporarily) an agent - something I have never wanted to be! Again though...would still rather stick with where I am over being a wedding coordinator at a venue at the moment.

And when we are in a position to go back to work, it's going to be venues that will have to take the hard stance with clients who are still unsure whether they should go ahead now or kick the can down the road. It'll be venues that will kick start this industry again and whatever your opinions are on how they do business, we are just the tail on this dog.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Boris: "Well...this is a bit of a bleep storm this week. I need a distraction. I know - I'll suggest that pubs could open sooner than July."

Benny: "I guess that my remaining July & August clients won't be making a postponement decision today."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Boris: "Well...this is a bit of a bleep storm this week. I need a distraction. I know - I'll suggest that pubs could open sooner than July."

Benny: "I guess that my remaining July & August clients won't be making a postponement decision today."
    If you thought lockdown presented some issues with regards to events being postponed, contracts, deposits and payments, just wait until what is around the corner.

Up until now, everything has been a bit black and white. Venues where weddings were held were closed. And that was it.

As things move forward, they will start to become more nuanced. Starting with what is expected to be 'very small weddings'.

But as pubs and hotels re-open, if there are social distancing measures still in place, what happens then? Do you have to accept a postponement? Or is that a cancellation, with full fee due as per cancellation terms?

What about when 'localised lock downs' kick in. If the wedding is in Hampshire, but half the family are in Birmingham, and they are in lock down, what happens then?

Everything is about to become a whole lot more complicated.

Bizarrely, we're coming to the end of 'the easy part' in terms of managing this.

If you thought lockdown presented some issues with regards to events being postponed, contracts, deposits and payments, just wait until what is around the corner.

Up until now, everything has been a bit black and white. Venues where weddings were held were closed. And that was it.

As things move forward, they will start to become more nuanced. Starting with what is expected to be 'very small weddings'.

But as pubs and hotels re-open, if there are social distancing measures still in place, what happens then? Do you have to accept a postponement? Or is that a cancellation, with full fee due as per cancellation terms?

What about when 'localised lock downs' kick in. If the wedding is in Hampshire, but half the family are in Birmingham, and they are in lock down, what happens then?

Everything is about to become a whole lot more complicated.

Bizarrely, we're coming to the end of 'the easy part' in terms of managing this.
    Totally agree and think the pub announcement is just a smoke screen.

"you can go to the pub, but you can't visit friends and relatives" lol

What would be the difference between socially distancing in a pub with 100 people, and socially distancing at a wedding with 100 people ???

A lot of the pub DJs seem to think it is going to be business as normal in a few weeks - they don't seem to understand the business and economics behind all this. Pubs can only run at a small % of people to what they normally do, hiring a DJ will be the least of their priorities. I have heard a lot of pubs looking to open but still keep staff furloughed, personally I think all staff should be off furlough before being allowed to spend on things like entertainment etc.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    A lot of the pub DJs seem to think it is going to be business as normal in a few weeks - they don't seem to understand the business and economics behind all this. Pubs can only run at a small % of people to what they normally do, hiring a DJ will be the least of their priorities. I have heard a lot of pubs looking to open but still keep staff furloughed, personally I think all staff should be off furlough before being allowed to spend on things like entertainment etc.
    Not sure if I've shared this previously: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busine...-bar-look-like