Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I fear that you may be correct. This situation will also make people reevaluate their wedding day. Do they really want such a 'flashy' wedding day? Most weddings I see were unaffordable for the people buying them. I can see that changing very quickly. As I've told many brides, *everything* after the ceremony is optional.
    I think 'quality over quantity' will be the new norm. More sophisticated and less tat - however we never know haha.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    As I've told many brides, *everything* after the ceremony is optional.

Everything apart from the ceremony is optional. That's my view . If someone wants to wee money down the drain that's completely their own business.

Well that's just secured my place at the "will never win a wedding award" table . I just don't believe in 'the industry,'. A lot of it is literally just flogging TAT

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

Well that's just secured my place at the "will never win a wedding award" table . I just don't believe in 'the industry,'. A lot of it is literally just flogging TAT
    I've won a few awards and been nominated for others, I'm probably as anti-industry as you can get whilst still being in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I'm forever amazed by the stuff people rank as more important than the evening entertainment. I had a conversation with a make up artist yesterday who had a deposit, but no signed contract and was struggling to get a response from the Bride. It wasn't clear what industry she was in so my first comment was "you're clearly not a DJ, otherwise you'd be used to this level of engagement "

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm forever amazed by the stuff people rank as more important than the evening entertainment.
    It's partly because their general experience of DJs is probably not great so as long as they're not terrible, all is good and partly because shiny flashy things make their wedding seem better than their pals, work colleagues etc... How many candy carts have you seen still full to the gills at the end of the night and I'm sorry, if I want a prosecco, I'll buy a bottle at the bar and pour my own - I really don't need to pick up a flat no doubt warm glass of it from a little wall display

When I first got into the game there was a few guys, 3 or 4 of them really, that were WAY out there in the wedding game up here. One in particular just oozed class and was really great at what he did from promo to his website to his branding and so on plus he was a genuinely nice guy with no ego.

In the early days I really aspired to be like him. A few years back he had a family emergency and asked if I'd cover a wedding for him, which I did. I was surprised by the fee because it was actually lower than what I'd started out charging when I was aiming to be like him but hey, it's his business if he's happy to charge that.

Then I turned up they had crammed the most tat I've seen into a venue ever

Love Letters
    Mr and Mrs letters
    candy cart
    chocolate fountain
    candy floss machine
    photobooth
    moodlighting
    massive led dancefloor
    confetti shots
    led lights on the ceiling

I'm sure there was more stuff crowbarred in. They must have at least 5 times the amount on that stuff that nobody actually remembers compared to one of the best wedding DJs out there. Madness, pure madness.

Interesting, in the past 24 hours I've secured 2 dates via facebook and had to knock 2 back who were chomping at the bit to book ( I usually land only 1 or 2 per year) at my new (as of January, foresight and all that ) fees I wouldn't even have thought possible to land under normal circumstances at the end of last year before going for it.

Maybe, and again I stand to be proven very wrong, maybe not everyone is going to be going for cheap and cheerful - the fact brides are aware 2021 and possibly 22 are going to be crazy busy for good suppliers creates a sense of scarcity which drives demand which drives prices...

Just a musing.

I think demand will be very high for premium dates in the Summer of 2021.

People are either carrying over bookings to 2021 or have deferred any plans this year. I suspect demand will be high and this may drive up prices, given that many DJ's would have given up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Maybe, and again I stand to be proven very wrong, maybe not everyone is going to be going for cheap and cheerful - the fact brides are aware 2021 and possibly 22 are going to be crazy busy for good suppliers creates a sense of scarcity which drives demand which drives prices...
    Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    I think demand will be very high for premium dates in the Summer of 2021.
    You also have to remember that not everyone is worse off. For some saving has become easier, and I imagine for those with a target (i.e. big wedding to pay for) will find it even easier.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Market yourself towards the deal chasers, then your customers are the ones that will be hurting the most right now.

Those providing a service for a 'recession proof' clientele will still have clients coming in.

Has anyone heard anything about the VAT threshold being temporarily raised next year ? I can see this being a big problem for a lot.

Turnover will increase but profits will be down for many, not just DJs, but in general. I know it is something I am having to look really closely at, as taking off vat on top of other expenses will mean all this 'extra' work may not be worthwhile.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk