Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

** EDIT **

Based on what we're seeing in Italy, etc, the number of deaths are going to keep the registrars very busy. I can't see the registration of weddings (civil ceremonies) being back for a long time because of that. I think that could be the factor that delays weddings the most, as there could be a big backlog of death registrations to get through.
    I'd never even though of that but you may be on to something depending on how it affects people putting in their M10s. I dunno about down south but the vast majority of weddings now are done by humanists imo as opposed to ministers or registrars so it might NOT be that bad but certainly folk may need to be a bit pragmatic even if that means going through the whole shebang they've booked and paid for then getting the legal stuff sorted later on.

On the upside I've taken a couple of more completely new bookings this week so when this does blow over, things will hopefully be looking sweet.

I recently bumped my prices up quite a bit and I think (I could be wrong) that it'll be the guys in the £3-600 bracket that end up feeling the pinch when this blows over as the cheaper guys will always find work and folk who are still stable financially and have dough to throw at their wedding will want to go big with the suppliers.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 31-03-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'd never even though of that but you may be on to something depending on how it affects people putting in their M10s. I dunno about down south but the vast majority of weddings now are done by humanists imo as opposed to ministers or registrars so it might NOT be that bad but certainly folk may need to be a bit pragmatic even if that means going through the whole shebang they've booked and paid for then getting the legal stuff sorted later on.
    I've only seen one humanist wedding (I work in the South) and that was more because of the location they wanted to get married (not licensed). So they did the paperwork the day before.

But even on that basis if you don't know when you can get legally married, it's another reason to hold off.

Sadly, bad news all round.

** EDIT **

Based on what we're seeing in Italy, etc, the number of deaths are going to keep the registrars very busy. I can't see the registration of weddings (civil ceremonies) being back for a long time because of that. I think that could be the factor that delays weddings the most, as there could be a big backlog of death registrations to get through.
    I have been hearing that a lot of registrars are refusing to take weddings until after 1st September AND THEN only taking rescheduled weddings, with new bookings not being taken until 2021.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I am really tempted to email every client until the end of August and just say "Stuff it, you're all released from your contracts. If you want me for your new date, just let me know and we'll start again."

I've accepted that 2020 is written off. I'm just gonna focus on saving 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I am really tempted to email every client until the end of August and just say "Stuff it, you're all released from your contracts. If you want me for your new date, just let me know and we'll start again."

I've accepted that 2020 is written off. I'm just gonna focus on saving 2021.
    I've already emailed them Benny. Most of them at the moment are still blindly holding on to the hope that things will be back to normal by then (mainly dare I say it, because their venues aren't playing very fairly). On the other side of the coin, some registrars that I've heard from are saying weddings are unlikely until September at the earliest because they're anticipating the paperwork for so many deaths

Curiously, September's couples seem to be more on the ball and are making the first move before I've contacted them. Alternative arrangements are pencilled into the diary "just in case" for all bar two of them. I'm starting to get calls and emails from October now as well

What worried me yesterday was something that was let slip in the daily briefing from Downing Street. It was mentioned some form of social distancing (I heard it as gatherings, pubs, clubs etc) will be needed until after the flu season next winter to prevent another possible spike on the health service. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Christmas/New Year happen this year due to that, and the fact that a lot of the corporates aren't going to be able to afford to actually DO anything.

I too have pretty much written off 2020, which took a while to come to terms with because it was the first year where I was actually going to be able to make a living from this. We have enough of a buffer to weather the storm, plus Liz works (hence no Universal Credit), so I'm going to be rebuilding ready to come back ahead of the game next year.

Everything might now go quiet for a bit.

Furloughing seems to have kicked in. Many venues have now shut down, closed the doors and furloughed their staff.

That means they aren't taking any enquiries for weddings or managing existing clients. So any existing client that wants to re-arrange a new date with the venue won't get very far right now.

I had an enquiry from an old work colleague about a new wedding in October or November. Gave him some dates I was free. He went off to phone the registrars.

Came back to me about 5 hours later to say the registrars are not taking any new wedding bookings for 2020. They are gonna be concentrating on deaths! They did say try calling back towards the end of the year!

Everything might now go quiet for a bit.

Furloughing seems to have kicked in. Many venues have now shut down, closed the doors and furloughed their staff.

That means they aren't taking any enquiries for weddings or managing existing clients. So any existing client that wants to re-arrange a new date with the venue won't get very far right now.

That appears to be what's happened at my venue. I picked up from Facebook that the hotel, leisure facility and golf club have all closed furno. Not one e-mail or phone call from the venue, from whom ALL of my work comes.

I had one booking on 18 April that moved to 17 April 2020. Then, I have a weddings booked there on 2 and 26 May that, in theory, as I have had no notification, are still taking place. Gloucester Old Spots anybody?

They have never been noted for their communication skills but it is, in my mind, even in these unique times, extremely rude and unprofessional not to even let your supplier know what the situation is.

And just to twist things even further, the last e-mail I did get from them was a booking for a wedding in September!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    That appears to be what's happened at my venue. I picked up from Facebook that the hotel, leisure facility and golf club have all closed furno. Not one e-mail or phone call from the venue, from whom ALL of my work comes.

I had one booking on 18 April that moved to 17 April 2020. Then, I have a weddings booked there on 2 and 26 May that, in theory, as I have had no notification, are still taking place. Gloucester Old Spots anybody?

They have never been noted for their communication skills but it is, in my mind, even in these unique times, extremely rude and unprofessional not to even let your supplier know what the situation is.

And just to twist things even further, the last e-mail I did get from them was a booking for a wedding in September!
    18th of April was one date I'd had literally umpteen enquiries for - I was originally booked almost a year ago to play at the hotel where I do most my work - then the couple cancelled with 6 weeks to go in favour of a 'DJ who sings' (aka crooner with a Macbook, I assume). I was disappointed & was tempted to chase up the folks who'd originally enquired - then this whole virus thing started breaking out here.

Yes it'd be lovely if all venues were perfect examples of how to conduct business with suppliers. I'm really lucky to have such a great relationship with a nice venue. The only time I've ever been messed about - was when a customer had cancelled me 2 months before their wedding day, then changed their mind on the day - TWICE. By all accounts I dodged a bullet with that one

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    To be fair, staff won't be given much notice of Furlough.

They will be told one day that they are on furlough, and that's it. No time to really communicate. The best you'll get is either a notice on the website explaining the situation or an email auto-responder.

And that even applies to people wanting to book with the venue - they won't be able to (unless they've left one member of staff on to manage those enquiries). A friend of mine is getting married next year and the venue furloughed all of the staff the day before they were due to receive the contract and pay the deposit. So they now have a reserved date, but can't actually sign the contract and pay the deposit until they are back at work again!