Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Has anyone thought about how they'd work with their clients if weddings end up being 'phased' in?

For example, weddings are restricted to 50 guests, but the original guest list is 250. Do you postpone?

Would you do the same with a 100 guest limit, but the original guest list is 110?

What if mom and dad live in Spain? We can have an unrestricted wedding, but flights are still a no go.

I think what we're dealing with now is very black and white compared to what may be coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Has anyone thought about how they'd work with their clients if weddings end up being 'phased' in?

For example, weddings are restricted to 50 guests, but the original guest list is 250. Do you postpone?

Would you do the same with a 100 guest limit, but the original guest list is 110?

What if mom and dad live in Spain? We can have an unrestricted wedding, but flights are still a no go.

I think what we're dealing with now is very black and white compared to what may be coming...
    Already had those thoughts several times Benny, and it's a little more black and white than you think

I think that when we do eventually get let loose again that the restrictions on numbers will be a definite for a while (I'm guessing probably at around 50)

But then, it gets a little clearer. We're still able to provide the party (unlike now), so it'll be business as usual - either postpone (and I've always allowed that just out of customer service - and Karma), or cancel and lose whatever the contract says. If they've invited more than are allowed, it's up to them to reduce their numbers accordingly. It's no different from inviting 200 guests to a venue with a 100 guest capacity.

As for the flights one - they'll be back quicker than you could imagine

What I do think we'll see once we're allowed back out on the road is a decline in numbers (people aren't going to want to be in a room full of strangers), and those that do attend will probably be wearing face masks. They're already doing logo'd ones in the USA that the DJs over there are considering buying to provide as part of the service

Whatever happens, it's a while off yet and things are going to be very different.

I feel a lot of this is out of our hands as DJs. If restrictions start to be lifted but place limits on numbers (which to be honest is very likely) - then venues give clients the go-ahead - that's very likely their last chance after having already had one postponement. Most venue contracts I've looked at say the client gets one shot at rearranging & then they're in defaulting territory.

Is having a reduced headcount better than no wedding at all? Would it be reasonable or fair for a client to try to postpone again to get exactly the event they originally wanted? I guess it all depends on a load of different factors & by the time we hear about it, it could be too late to sway any client.

Reducing from 250 to 50 is a bit of a leap - would a venue knock money off for the reduced headcount? Would the client be happy with the headcount reduction? Would many of those 50 who made the cut actually show up? Trying to put myself in their shoes I wouldn't take a reduction of 200 on the chin - especially if I still had to pay for the 200 ghost guests. 110 to 100 would be a much easier call to make. A 100 to 50 reduction.... gah.. it's gonna be a mess!

I'm convinced that not every rescheduled wedding will occur in exactly the way it was originally intended. I'm sure that not all original suppliers and possibly even venues will be available on every rescheduled date. I can foresee the grand marquee wedding for 250 guests becoming something far smaller and less formal in the back room of The Ferret And Aardvark, for instance. I think flexibility will be the keyword, certainly for us.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm convinced that not every rescheduled wedding will occur in exactly the way it was originally intended. I'm sure that not all original suppliers and possibly even venues will be available on every rescheduled date.
    That's already happening if you frequent the local wedding pages on Faceache - they've managed to reschedule most of their suppliers but not all and does anyone know of a [insert service here] available for my date.

The later we get into the year (I've still got 2 for August and three for September that are convinced things will be going ahead as planned, mainly because their venues are waiting for them to cancel rather than the other way around), the harder they're going to find it rescheduling everything as is for a different date because we're ALL taking bookings for next year.

I can foresee the grand marquee wedding for 250 guests becoming something far smaller and less formal in the back room of The Ferret And Aardvark, for instance. I think flexibility will be the keyword, certainly for us.
    Yes in some cases, but....

I think weddings and indeed pretty much any gathering will be different for the foreseeable, although hopefully not in the back room of the local boozer (if such a thing still exists by then!).
    Couples will still have a dream of their perfect day and there are some that the function room of 20 odd years ago just isn't going to suit (I really don't miss working in a lot of those places)

What I can see is that yes, they'll be smaller and more likely to be DIY stylee in a tent in the back garden. There's also a fair few "blank canvas" venues here (think field in the middle of nowhere where for the right fee you can put up a tipi/marquee/PT Barnum's circus tent, get the guests to camp out on the night either in tents or lodges....), and I think they'll also do very well. These are the customers I've always tried to attract and I'm not planning on changing that in the future.

I think the big venues (permanent marquees, stately homes, castles and the like) are going to struggle with smaller numbers because they have to charge a certain amount to pay the business mortgage and staffing.

I may of course be very wrong. People have very short memories and when/if a vaccine becomes available, this thing will be forgotten in terms of social distancing and hand washing every five minutes very quickly.

I'm convinced that not every rescheduled wedding will occur in exactly the way it was originally intended. I'm sure that not all original suppliers and possibly even venues will be available on every rescheduled date. I can foresee the grand marquee wedding for 250 guests becoming something far smaller and less formal in the back room of The Ferret And Aardvark, for instance. I think flexibility will be the keyword, certainly for us.
    Maybe this is going to mean people will re-evaluate what a wedding 'should be about' too. You know, bringing the emphasis back on romance etc rather than stuff.. who knows. Now if you'll excuse me I have to make good my exit before the mob catches up with me for blaspheming..

I think people will go ahead as long as their important guests will be able to attend. If you're cutting a 250 guest wedding down to 50 then you'll still need a DJ. The grey area is when you have as mentioned parents or important guests who live abroad and can't make it but technically the wedding can still go ahead and what their venues stance will be on that.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes on the way.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

There is an ancient curse that I have quoted over the last few weeks that I think is incredibly relevant to now: may you live in interesting times.

The origin of that curse? I'll leave you to Google that and discover the irony.

There is an ancient curse that I have quoted over the last few weeks that I think is incredibly relevant to now: may you live in interesting times.

The origin of that curse? I'll leave you to Google that and discover the irony.
    Some of us already know the origin, since we're fond of quoting it. Can't find any of the instances, as the search facility doesn't make it that easy.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Can't find any of the instances, as the search facility doesn't make it that easy.
    Ah, but Google search does...