Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I would suggest there probably is, I've not heard of cases in the entertainment industry, but should you travel abroad against government advice, your travel insurance company will refuse any claims (unless an exception has been specifically included in your policy)
    Government advice is very clear for travelling abroad. The FCO issue very specific advice, and will advise against 'all but essential travel' for example.

This advice has not been like that. Spain has been very clear about their lock down and what you can and can't do.

This is unchartered territory.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

A venue near me has, according to rumour and innuendo, postponed all March, April, May & June weddings. I trust the guy who told me, but at the same time I cannot see why this venue would start postponing May & June already.

My current count is three postponements, all moved to later on in the year. I have an inkling that there will be a much harder lock down at the end of this week that will last, I reckon, two weeks. I'm DJing one wedding during that period (they're adamant that they want to crack on) and photographing as a second shooter at another. For me, personally, if there was to be a two week lock down, now would be the ideal time to do it (your mileage may vary).

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    This advice has not been like that. Spain has been very clear about their lock down and what you can and can't do.

This is unchartered territory.
    And THIS is the major problem. Had the information been "YOU WILL NOT ATTEND GATHERINGS, THE PUB, CLUBS" etc. as opposed to "We advise", the situation would have been a lot more clear cut.
    I'm actually hoping the advice will change in the coming days so that we know exactly how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    A venue near me has, according to rumour and innuendo, postponed all March, April, May & June weddings. I trust the guy who told me, but at the same time I cannot see why this venue would start postponing May & June already.

My current count is three postponements, all moved to later on in the year. I have an inkling that there will be a much harder lock down at the end of this week that will last, I reckon, two weeks. I'm DJing one wedding during that period (they're adamant that they want to crack on) and photographing as a second shooter at another. For me, personally, if there was to be a two week lock down, now would be the ideal time to do it (your mileage may vary).
    I'm currently at two postponed weddings, 3 cancelled school discos and a couple of cancelled kids birthdays. I've offered the three remaining adult parties between now and the end of April their deposit back if they want to cancel. To be honest, for the sake of the £150 it's going to cost me to do that, I'd rather not be exposed if at all possible. It's not what's in my contract, but I'm trying to play fair and give people the opportunity to back out in these uncertain times rather than thinking they need to go ahead or lose money.

I've seen venues reacting in a range of ways. Some have been adamant that they're closing shop and cancelling bookings. The venue for this coming Saturday and my gig on April 4th took this stance, I know of at least 3 local community halls that have closed doors and I'm sure there's more out there. Another is "open until someone tells them otherwise" but my customer for Sat 28th cancelled on them instead amid concerns for the welfare of his guests...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

I know of quite a few round me who have done this.
    Reason is, it is cheaper for them too close rather than buy stock etc and risk it being ruined, plus any temp staff can be laid off.

End of June seems to be the new target to start getting back to normal
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I know of quite a few round me who have done this.
    Reason is, it is cheaper for them too close rather than buy stock etc and risk it being ruined, plus any temp staff can be laid off.
    Very true. With most staff on zero hours contracts, it can be relatively cheap to mothball a venue for a few months.

The real issue is the staff on zero hours contracts, most of which have little more than enough money for a few days.

Today was the first I've heard official sources talk about literally paying money directly in to our bank accounts. Right now, that is what is needed to keep roofs over people's heads and mouths fed. I don't think the population will look too kindly on multi-billion pound bailouts of airlines etc if the staff don't see any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    End of June seems to be the new target to start getting back to normal
    Yes, that matches up with the timeline for Spain.

That's an incredibly long time for the country to be locked down. We've not even really entered the real 'lock down' yet. More restrictions to come - this is going to get worse by the day, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't remember this reaction to SARS though. Just what is it about this virus that has led to measures being taken that they are literally prepared to decimate the world's economy for? It must be *very* bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I don't remember this reaction to SARS though. Just what is it about this virus that has led to measures being taken that they are literally prepared to decimate the world's economy for? It must be *very* bad.
    I was in the Far East at the height of SARS and Bird Flu, with body heat scanners at all airports, and everyone wearing masks. With these it was pretty obvious who had it and so who was infectious, so it was easier to contain. For things like Ebola, the same applies but add in a high death rate and that helps stop the spread (a disease shouldn't really kill the host if it wants to propagate). Someone with COVID-19 can, at least initially, be completely asymptomatic but still infectious and spreading it. The WHO described it very early on as "the worst enemy you can ever imagine" but everyone, especially the UK government*, was too slow to react. It has now weaponised children against their grandparents. Not to mention the economical impact. There's light at the end of the tunnel...but it's a very long tunnel.

Anyway, I sense yours was maybe a rhetorical question as you'd have to be living under a rock not to know this but... I felt a rant coming on!

*Note to moderators: I'm allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Absolutely. You don't want to be going out and doing those discos, where all those germ ridden folk are invading your personal space. I'd stay at home, and pass 'em on to some poor unsuspecting Herbert.
    Well, my one remaining booking in March, a charity ball for a friend, has been skidded to October. My one and only job (a wedding) in April is wobbling, so that won't make it. And then, who knows what.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Wayne, I hate to admit it, but you were right about the severity of the effects of the virus. In the short term, it looks like it's no work at all.
    Seriously, though (reaches for tin hat and hides behind the sofa), are you not classed as elderly with underlying health problems, and should be locked up?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 19-03-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Seriously, though (reaches for tin hat and hides behind the sofa), are you not classed as elderly with underlying health problems, and should be locked up?

I've been biting my tongue and so nearly typed the exact same words - but didn't in fear of the ban hammer and a stern phone call

This is where I'm at just now: https://www.scotlandspartydj.com/corona-virus-update

Not to sound insensitive but everything I'm seeing on the FB groups etc... falls into 3 types of category:

- Impending wedding that the venue has cancelled.
    - Impending wedding that hasn't been cancelled and couple are carrying on.
    - Quite frankly selfish people who have weddings way down the line trying to reschedule already before any venue shut down or government advice AND being indignant that suppliers and venues are trying to continue as normal until told otherwise whilst maintaining a healthy cashflow to keep the business afloat.

The latter group are the equivalent of your 80 rolls of bog paper hoarders imo so I'm going to be mercenary for anyone "rescheduling" unless the venue has shut or the wedding is in the next 2 months.