Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training funding opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Looking in to it, it does seem to talk a lot about 'employment' - there's no mention of self employment. It might be worth clarifying that.

That should be your priority. Quite frankly, regardless of what training you undertake about your performance right now, it's not going to attract any bookings coming in.

I know that because when I got back in to this game a few years ago, I didn't even own a single piece of equipment whilst I started getting bookings. No point worrying about the DJ'ing if you can't find the work!

Spend your time and focus on getting the work in.

To do this full time, at best, this industry is about 4 days a week working on the business, marketing it, dealing with emails and putting in place initiatives to get more bookings, 1 day doing the actual work (eg, Sat night, sometimes Fri and Sat night) and 2 days off (Sun and Mon). Although you'll soon find the paperwork kicks in on Monday too.

If you spend the time marketing it properly, you've got a chance. But learning how to use a ddj800 isn't going to get you a booking.
    Thanks for the comments. Definitely checked it out. It's all pretty straightforward to apply when I'm ready.

As I've mentioned in other posts I'm not quite ready to get out there and take bookings. I dont actually have any speakers yet + I dont intend only doing this full time as my only form of income to begin wih at least.

It's going to be a process. An 8 week training course is not really going to derail me. It'll probably be several months before I get hold of decent speakers to get me going out there again. In the meantime I can do prep and other things ready.
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Definitely checked it out. It's all pretty straightforward to apply when I'm ready.

As I've mentioned in other posts I'm not quite ready to get out there and take bookings. I dont actually have any speakers yet + I dont intend only doing this full time as my only form of income to begin wih at least.

It's going to be a process. An 8 week training course is not really going to derail me. It'll probably be several months before I get hold of decent speakers to get me going out there again. In the meantime I can do prep and other things ready.
    You don't need speakers to take bookings.

As I said, I started taking bookings before I bought any equipment.

10 x booking fees at £150 really helped with the cost of buying the equipment...

Prove you can get bookings before you start buying any equipment. Especially in these uncertain times. Established DJs are struggling at the moment. There will be very few parties happening over the coming weeks, and possibly months, so you really don't need any speakers at the moment. Get the marketing live, and get the bookings in.

You don't need speakers to take bookings.

As I said, I started taking bookings before I bought any equipment.

10 x booking fees at £150 really helped with the cost of buying the equipment...

Prove you can get bookings before you start buying any equipment. Especially in these uncertain times. Established DJs are struggling at the moment. There will be very few parties happening over the coming weeks, and possibly months, so you really don't need any speakers at the moment. Get the marketing live, and get the bookings in.
    Some proof I can get bookings is from the feedback and number of bookings I have had from when I was previously dj'ing particularly around my locality. I know a lot of time has passed but I also know (before this situation) that there's still call for gigs I used to perform at (community events, schools and parties).

In normal circumstances I couldn't see me getting enough deposits that would be enough to cover the one item 'I need' (a booking would be upon me and I'd not be ready) and given these exceptional circumstances it'll be pretty impossible to get any booking fees. I could start the marketing and go live but, as you say, there's unlikely to be many/any bookings because of the current situation. A lot of marketing is going to incur costs and that is also something that isn't very doable right now as I'm limited on the cash side. Even though that sounds a bit negative I do agree that marketing is a good idea and I do appreciate the comments - any tips on LOW COST marketing to begin with are appreciated - particularly on the website front (recommendations welcomed) as I will try to be a bit proactive by doing something (no matter how small)

In your first message:
    I am able to get funding for this but one of the criteria I will need is to prove how much business I can get once I am back up and running.
    Proof of being able to get bookings is simply by getting bookings. I can't make it any clearer. Getting training on how to use a DJ controller won't change how easy/hard it is to get the booking in the first place.

Some proof I can get bookings is from the feedback and number of bookings I have had from when I was previously dj'ing particularly around my locality. I know a lot of time has passed but I also know (before this situation) that there's still call for gigs I used to perform at (community events, schools and parties).

In normal circumstances I couldn't see me getting enough deposits that would be enough to cover the one item 'I need' (a booking would be upon me and I'd not be ready) and given these exceptional circumstances it'll be pretty impossible to get any booking fees. I could start the marketing and go live but, as you say, there's unlikely to be many/any bookings because of the current situation. A lot of marketing is going to incur costs and that is also something that isn't very doable right now as I'm limited on the cash side. Even though that sounds a bit negative I do agree that marketing is a good idea and I do appreciate the comments - any tips on LOW COST marketing to begin with are appreciated - particularly on the website front (recommendations welcomed) as I will try to be a bit proactive by doing something (no matter how small)
    All you've done is talk yourself out of being able to get any bookings. You've actually highlighted that you might struggle to get bookings.

This is the reality. When it comes to getting bookings, when you focus on actually getting the gig, you soon start to understand whether it's viable or not.

I highly recommend putting together a business plan. What equipment are you planning to buy? How much will that cost? How many events will you need to do to cover the cost of the initial equipment outlay? How much will it cost to get those bookings (marketing costs).

After you've taken off the marketing costs and equipment costs, how much is actually left? Once you've got that number, then you'll know if it's viable.

If you're looking to be self employed, these are the sorts of questions you'll be asked.

In your first message:

Proof of being able to get bookings is simply by getting bookings. I can't make it any clearer. Getting training on how to use a DJ controller won't change how easy/hard it is to get the booking in the first place.

All you've done is talk yourself out of being able to get any bookings. You've actually highlighted that you might struggle to get bookings.

This is the reality. When it comes to getting bookings, when you focus on actually getting the gig, you soon start to understand whether it's viable or not.

I highly recommend putting together a business plan. What equipment are you planning to buy? How much will that cost? How many events will you need to do to cover the cost of the initial equipment outlay? How much will it cost to get those bookings (marketing costs).

After you've taken off the marketing costs and equipment costs, how much is actually left? Once you've got that number, then you'll know if it's viable.

If you're looking to be self employed, these are the sorts of questions you'll be asked.
    Why do you think I've been thinking I won't get bookings right now? Djs on here are are saying about cancellations and that's all I hear about is gigs and festivals cancelled, social distancing etc etc

I know I got a good chance of getting gigs as I can approach certain people I know who put on events and have booked me before. Yes I know I still got to physically have the people book me and deposits for the actual proof but theres nothing wrong in being confident (albeit not now because of the climate). I got to get my T&C's, booking forms prepared so it's all things I can work on. I still don't get why you are against the training. I know I dont NEED it to be able to get out there but there's nothing wrong with still giving it a go especially as it wont be costing me anything.

I am learning a lot about the equipment daily too. Having been a mobile dj before for a number of years and was getting a lot of bookings from marketing I was doing and word of mouth I know I can drum up the interest. So I do have confidence I can do it again but will just have to wait until all this dies down before going LIVE.

There's plenty to be done in the meantime as I can still work on the business plan with costings and thanks for some of the tips. It's only the last few weeks I was gifted the laptop and dj controller (few less costs there) so before then I was miles away from getting back to dj'ing.

EDIT: I Should also state I have some good gear including lights with rigging from before. Yes I'll want to get one or 2 others and as I've already said speakers are top of the list.
    Last edited by Pazz; 18-03-2020 at 11:56 AM.