Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Live - how?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Can you not just run it off you're phone or laptop?

My bro and cousin have streamed sets this weekend no bother and we're looking at doing a collective thing later in the week - I'll either be phone or 2nd macbook filming and don't see how that would be a problem - No one cares and FB is going to condense the out of your AV quality any way so no idea why you're looking at using a DSLR or the like....
    Laptop webcam doesn't work. Phone audio is crap no matter what the phone is & besides I DON'T want to have to blast music out (I don't own small speakers anymore lol).

There's little point streaming anything that doesn't look & sound like the dog's danglies especially if it's for promotional reasons IMHO.

The working webcam I DO have looks like it's been taped on VHS & copied a few times once the light level it's presented with descends to less than bright sunlight.

To use a phone I think you really have to plug audio into it - especially for a live DJ set.

Also streaming directly from a phone/ tablet you can't easily overlay a logo, or any text.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Laptop webcam doesn't work. Phone audio is crap no matter what the phone is & besides I DON'T want to have to blast music out (I don't own small speakers anymore lol).

There's little point streaming anything that doesn't look & sound like the dog's danglies especially if it's for promotional reasons IMHO.

The working webcam I DO have looks like it's been taped on VHS & copied a few times once the light level it's presented with descends to less than bright sunlight.

To use a phone I think you really have to plug audio into it - especially for a live DJ set.

Also streaming directly from a phone/ tablet you can't easily overlay a logo, or any text.
    I've been doing some testing myself. Still not convinced I want to actually go live and risk being cut off by the Facebook police, but still contemplating it.

I've done my tests from a slightly different angle though....

I'm not keen on seeing fat blokes twiddling knobs for a couple of hours, so my approach has been to use my iMac webcam pointing straight at me, with a couple of old fashioned light screens for background (I'm thinking more along the retro route if I do actually go live). The effect is my smiling happy chops in front of a retro show (of sorts), rather than seeing the gubbins that make the sound.

For audio - I've got it 100%

Bit complicated because of the cables I have to hand, but going from controller to a Xenyx mixer, and from that into an iRig (normally used for picking up the sound for the light show) and into the back of the iMac. Broadcast all of that with OBS and it's actually working quite well.

If going live is too fraught, you could record a show with OBS then upload it to somewhere like Vimeo & share it. It removes a possible interactive element though

A lot of DJs streaming live sets aren't caught out by Facebook's copyright detection algorithms because the tracks they're playing generally aren't on major record labels.

One DJ in the north east did a live stream of party cheese from his driveway, clocking up over a million views on Tik Tok (also streamed on Facebook live) & scoring a mention in the Daily Mail. You just can't buy that sort of publicity

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    One DJ in the north east did a live stream of party cheese from his driveway, clocking up over a million views on Tik Tok (also streamed on Facebook live) & scoring a mention in the Daily Mail. You just can't buy that sort of publicity
    If only people were able to hold events and therefore book DJs right now

I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go.

I've got the light screens here for background, I've tentatively stuck it on my FaceAche page (don't want a huge audience for the first time).
    The theme? An hour of Cheefully Choonful Cheese

Well....I did it!!!

Got cut off twice in the process (probably more due to bandwidth limitations than anything else). Lots of love from those that found me - I didn't actually advertise it anywhere
    MY GOD IT WAS SCARY! Put me in a room full of 100+ complete strangers any day of the week!

A few niggles to iron out but I think I might have to try again soon. Now....just the small matter of I don't know how many disputes from greedy publishers to deal with....don't they realise there's a war on?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Well my inept and amateurish searches say: No.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well...I've done a couple of these now (both sitting down at a desk due to space problems but that will change tomorrow now I've been and collected a booth from my lockup without the Gestapo stopping and questioning the reason for having the van on the road....)

I'd still rather be in front of 100+ heads bobbing around on a dance floor, but this FB live thing (when it doesn't get cut) is actually proving very good for "Social Proof" and therefore Google rankings - I've seen an improvement already

There's still MUCH to improve, for example my "office" is being turned into the UK's smallest night club tomorrow (8ft x 6ft) to give me a more natural environment to work in with space to move around and have everything in a more convenient position. I've found that it's really boring playing to yourself, but the comments and feedback I'm getting are making me stick with it for now because let's face it, there's not a lot else to do! It's actually like running a pretend radio station, and if I'm honest, I'm starting to adopt the attitude of the stereotypical radio jock by talking a lot more than I normally would.

Of the two I've done so far (and I'm only doing an hour at a time from 3pm to 4pm because it's sort of convenient to me)

Tuesday - Cheerfully Choonful Cheese got 558 viewers
    Thursday - 80s vs 90s got 1019 viewers! The ad for the slot which was only posted on my business page and then shared by followers was seen by 586 people (my "normal" post reach is around 100)

Saturday will be different - 8pm to 9pm with Old Skool Ibiza floor fillers (how hard can that be?). I'll be trying to use some lighting as well for that one but need to test that as not convinced it adds to things by the time the camera's have captured it and the streaming services have compressed it. I'm actually (shamefully) considering going down the Paris Hilton route of pre-recording the mix to make it perfect and just pretending to twiddle knobs for the stream!

Coming up will be a 70s disco set, a strictly 80s set, and possibly a 60s/Motown set. It seems that the easier listening/cheesier stuff I normally tend to avoid is going down better because people are listening to it whilst getting on with their lives. What I was planning on doing was recreating a previous wedding - but if you look back at what was played on the night, it's very disjointed unless you were there at the time so I'm not going there.

All future streams will also be recorded locally and dumped onto YouTube as a mini-set and used for advertising as to what I can do.

On the note of cameras because I know Justin was struggling with this one - I'm streaming via OBS Studio which works nicely, but has an add on to turn your phone/tablet into a camera too (it's something like £15 but works really well). Turns out the camera on the iPad is a LOT better and clearer than that on my 2013 playout (I was switching between the two today). Now looking to use the iPhone and the iPad as cameras to do the visuals and not use the laptop camera for that purpose at all!

I've also found two important things from feedback:
    * Although I'm assuming the viewers are listening in the background, they DON'T want to see pictures of the controller/decks and would prefer to see the face (I don't know why but I've had several comments along those lines!)
    * It's important to respond to comments on the stream - it wins big Brownie points on "social proof". Even if it's after the set's finished and the video is uploaded to your timeline.

I'm now looking at a way to stream to Facebook without going direct through Facebook. Going to cost me £15 a month if it works, but if it's keeping my name out there for the duration of what's happening so I can hit the ground running when we're back, it's got to be worth the investment.

By the time I've done a few more of these, plus done Tony Winyard's free course (see you there Justin ), 2021 is finally going to be my year

Whenever I see the word 'free' I read 'of little value'. Also, wherever DJs tend to congregate on Facebook I see little but negativity & bad vibes (DJ groups) - which is likely why I hadn't heard about this 'free course'. I've even quit the (initially very useful & positive) playlist group. Like the Pro Mobile conference.. I'd have enjoyed it all a lot more had it not been for all the sodding DJs.

Whoops! What I (maybe) meant to say was ..

Oh really? I didn't know anybody was offering a free course for DJs on social media stuff..

But y'know.. I'm in a bit of a rut of late. Can't think why!
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 03-04-2020 at 12:45 AM.