Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Rokit standby driving me nuts!Auto sound/tone generator program or App needed

Default Rokit standby driving me nuts!Auto sound/tone generator program or App needed

I have got my dj controller and Windows laptop system hooked up to my KRK Rokit 5's. My Rokits are switching themselves to standby when I let music run for a period. I've heard that there could be a way to get around this by getting a program to automatically run a tone or sound every 25 minutes to prevent the Rokits from going into standby. I've searched online and tried 1 suggestion but haven't got very far and now I can't find anything.

Looking for suggestions so this doesn't drive me even more nuts during lockdown!? I just want to have my Rokits continually on while I have music playing through them at any volume. As it stands they switch off then you have to turn the volume knob to trigger them to come back on.

Anyone got Rokits and found or know of a solution to this?
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post
    I have got my dj controller and Windows laptop system hooked up to my KRK Rokit 5's. My Rokits are switching themselves to standby when I let music run for a period. I've heard that there could be a way to get around this by getting a program to automatically run a tone or sound every 25 minutes to prevent the Rokits from going into standby. I've searched online and tried 1 suggestion but haven't got very far and now I can't find anything.

Looking for suggestions so this doesn't drive me even more nuts during lockdown!? I just want to have my Rokits continually on while I have music playing through them at any volume. As it stands they switch off then you have to turn the volume knob to trigger them to come back on.

Anyone got Rokits and found or know of a solution to this?
    I have the Rokit 6 and have found the same issue.

I'm not aware of a solution to it though. They just go into Standby mode when they aren't receiving a strong enough signal which is a really good idea unless you just want it to be that loud.

This? https://janeisklar.net/2018/10/03/ro...with-software/

And to think, Rokits are basically the defacto standard for many wanting decent monitor speakers. I think I'll pass.

From what I've been able to find out about it, the speakers need at least -50dB input before they'll come back on again without touching the volume control & people are saying that's pretty loud. Also from what I've gleaned, that program which sends a loudish 10Hz signal to the speakers every 25 minutes probably relies on the Windows audio device being the one connected to the monitors - as opposed to say, your controller (unless that is you can configure the program to use the soundcard in the controller at the same time as your DJ software). So to get it to work you might need a cable between your PC audio output & a spare line input on your controller/mixer.

That's pretty short sighted The HK Nano kit came with a similar feature, but it could be disabled using a switch on the back of the system.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    That's pretty short sighted The HK Nano kit came with a similar feature, but it could be disabled using a switch on the back of the system.
    My Phonic speakers came with a similar feature, which didn't appear to be intentional, wasn't acknowledged by the sellers, and couldn't be disabled.

Swapped them for more expensive ( paid the difference ), worse speakers.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I remember my Mackies had this feature too (with a defeat switch which I left engaged permanently). Why the heck anyone would even want such a thing in a studio or PA situation I'll never fathom. Ahhh the genius of product designers.

If you're of an electronic bent, you might be able to modify the Rokits so they never turn off. I've read somewhere that a faint 'click' can be heard when they go on & off so.. that would indicate they use a thing called a relay to do the switching. A relay is essentially a switch controlled by electricity - using power from one thing to switch between other things. It could be a simple ten minute job to bypass this. Or the idiot product manager could've had them add a $0.20 switch instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    This? https://janeisklar.net/2018/10/03/ro...with-software/

And to think, Rokits are basically the defacto standard for many wanting decent monitor speakers. I think I'll pass.

From what I've been able to find out about it, the speakers need at least -50dB input before they'll come back on again without touching the volume control & people are saying that's pretty loud. Also from what I've gleaned, that program which sends a loudish 10Hz signal to the speakers every 25 minutes probably relies on the Windows audio device being the one connected to the monitors - as opposed to say, your controller (unless that is you can configure the program to use the soundcard in the controller at the same time as your DJ software). So to get it to work you might need a cable between your PC audio output & a spare line input on your controller/mixer.
    That's the website I went to but didn't get anywhere.

I'm not too technical minded to configure programs. I was just wanting to see if there was a work around with an App or program.

Like you say Rokits are supposed to be the leaders in monitors but as much as you can see why they may include this standby thing built in they should at least give you the option of disabling it when you want. I'l have to put up with it by the looks as I'm wanting to purchase loudpeakers at some ahead of any home studio monitors.
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post
    Like you say Rokits are supposed to be the leaders in monitors but as much as you can see why they may include this standby thing built in they should at least give you the option of disabling it when you want. I'l have to put up with it by the looks as I'm wanting to purchase loudpeakers at some ahead of any home studio monitors.
    I have a suspicion that they have been forced to include the feature because the speakers fall into a category of consumer electronic goods and have an idle current draw that goes over a mandated threshold.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I have a suspicion that they have been forced to include the feature because the speakers fall into a category of consumer electronic goods and have an idle current draw that goes over a mandated threshold.
    Maybe, but they're supposed to be - and are sold as studio monitors. Arghhh!

I found a repair video (EEVblog) where poor Dave fixed a fault on one but later became exasperated trying to get rid of the amplifier's inherent hiss. If I remember right the hiss comes from the crappy (his words) amplifier chip they've used. There was me (until a while ago) thinking they must be the mutts nuts since they're so popular.

Anyway none of this helps Pazz here. I downloaded the program, unzipped it, ran the exe file.. and it's simplicity itself to use.

By default it's set to play a half second 10hz tone every 1500 seconds. It starts up, minimised to the windows taskbar. It uses the default Windows sound playback device, so if you're using your controller you'll probably have to wire your computer's audio into a spare channel on your controller (and have it faded up) for it to work - or plug your controller's line level audio output into your computer's line input. It's not as elegant a solution as flicking a switch but potentially better than being annoyed by your speakers powering down.

Why are people still buying this stuff?

Edit: I just found out how it's possible to disable the speakers muting, permanently.. just send the speakers & £100 to me, care of Stop The Annoying Silence, PO box 1234, Co. Durham & in a few days you'll have them back, modified to never go into standby again

Another edit: If their inputs are mixable - ie you can use the RCA and Jack/XLR at the same time, just wire your PC's sound output to the RCA jack on each speaker & run the little program. Should do the trick!
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 13-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.