Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favourite Light Ever?

Default What's Your Favourite Light Ever?

During lockdown I've been reflecting over my 37 years of DJing which where my favourite DJ lights.

I've decided that 2 were particularly good.

My favourite was the Abstract Extreme XP 5 Pro. These were virtually the same as the Mad Powerflower but with slightly different colours & gobos. I think the XP 5 Pro was fairly rare compared to the popular Powerflower. Total room filler, but these were 14kg from memory!

The other would be the Constella Pro-Twin. This was similar to the Abstract Twin FX, a twin lens moonflower (no Gobos) but I thought it was better and built like a tank. It was cheap at £150 and I used it for 14 years, and changed the 250w bulb only once. Gave me great reliable service, super vibrant colours, and excellent spread of light.

I've never been one for hoarding flashy shiny boxes but I loved my ADJ Jelly Domes.

Amazing how simple but great they could look with a bit of DMXing, I'd still be using them but one went on the blink and they appear to be discontinued.

My favorite set up from when I was still going out regularly was (Martin) 4 x MX4's + 2 x Acrobats with a single Synchrozap in the middle, unfortunately it weighed a ton, and needed trilite trussing a power-drive tripods to get it up in the air safely. Thank goodness for LED lighting.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Acme Firebird for me - still use one for backup and certain events - think it is about 14 years old now and still as good as the day I bought it.

Most missed lights, if not for the weight would have to be the Datamoons - such a simple yet brilliant controller and great light, just a shame they were so heavy
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Effects wise - for me it'd have to be the Optikinetics Solar 250 projector clone I had. By far the most versatile bit of kit I've ever owned. Yeah so it relied on loads of different stuff being shoved into it or onto the front of it but that's what gave it its versatility. The first 'modern' light I ever bought was a Twister 1 back in 1992 & it still worked last time I checked on it. I gigged it hundreds of times & although it's got a bit rusty over the years (I wouldn't dream of taking it out!) the original lamp is still going.

Anything else though, give me wash lighting before any other fixture. You ain't got wash, you ain't got nowt!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I've never been one for hoarding flashy shiny boxes but I loved my ADJ Jelly Domes.

Amazing how simple but great they could look with a bit of DMXing, I'd still be using them but one went on the blink and they appear to be discontinued.
    Still got mine and still using them alongside other fixtures ADJ sold them for about 2 years before they discontinued them, but they show up on eBay every now and then for peanuts. I keep meaning to buy a pair to use as spares, if they broke I'd be forced down the derby/shard route

Back to the OP - I've always been in awe of the Martin Acrobat's. I didn't own one, but I used to work in a club that had a pair and they were basically a compact version of the wizard (they had a 250w halogen lamp, combined colour/gobo wheel, reflector dish and barrel in a scanner/barrel size box).
    Last edited by DJ Jules; 23-05-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    My favorite set up from when I was still going out regularly was (Martin) 4 x MX4's + 2 x Acrobats with a single Synchrozap in the middle, unfortunately it weighed a ton, and needed trilite trussing a power-drive tripods to get it up in the air safely. Thank goodness for LED lighting.
    I really liked the look of the Martin Acrobats & Synchrozap but never owned one.

I saw a new Acrobat on Ebay for over £400

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    I really liked the look of the Martin Acrobats & Synchrozap but never owned one.

I saw a new Acrobat on Ebay for over £400
    I've still got the Acrobats, MX4's and the later Martin Mania version of the Synchrozap, I can't bare to part with them.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I've still got the Acrobats, MX4's and the later Martin Mania version of the Synchrozap, I can't bare to part with them.
    Was the Martin Mania version of the Synchrozap the EFX 800?

My favourite light, although it was effing heavy, and could eat lamps, cost me £300 way back when. It was a moonflower, which swung the flowers sided to side, and rotated them as they went. Real room filler.

And on the opposite side of the cost spectrum, the good old Vasto. 50w of cheap moonflower, but mine were indestructible, outlasting Martin Twister 1s.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk