Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Strobe Lighting

Default Strobe Lighting

When I first started DJing in the early 80's I used a basic but effective strobe light. It looked good at certain points of some songi.e. Thriller etc

Since then I haven't bothered with Strobe lights and don't use them even when strobe is built into effects.

I became increasingly wary of people who have health conditions such as epilepsy.

Maybe they have a place or I'm missing out.

Anyone else use them for parties/weddings?

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    When I first started DJing in the early 80's I used a basic but effective strobe light. It looked good at certain points of some songi.e. Thriller etc

Since then I haven't bothered with Strobe lights and don't use them even when strobe is built into effects.

I became increasingly wary of people who have health conditions such as epilepsy.

Maybe they have a place or I'm missing out.

Anyone else use them for parties/weddings?
    I've not used a strobe since the 90s.

However, the 'effect' at the right time in a song can be brilliant, and I use a similar effect through my lights that whilst nowhere near strobe frequency, gives enough of a 'feel' to be effective, without the issues you can get with a strobe.

Here's an example of where I use the effect during a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_OCoD6z84c

For your typical disco, I'd avoid. Like you said plenty of people are light sensitive so it's not really worth the risk.

If you're doing a big outdoor event or teen/prom then it has it's place for sure.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I used strobing (not strobes) at all kind of events, and then not for very long - typically only for 'the drop' on certain tunes (where the light sequence is triggered by a point of interest in the track). Some DJs say guests never notice the lights, but done right, at the right time they can make a big difference. But the guests would probably still say they never noticed it

Is it worth the aggro of all the additional programming though? That's debatable & maybe only a matter of pride. One thing's for sure - I used a bit of heavy flashing from time to time but it was always when I wanted it so on balance probably less than 20% of the time most modern lights left to their own devices do it
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 25-06-2020 at 02:52 PM.

I have a pair of 1500W strobes that get hired frequently along with a controller, enabling them to adjust the output level and frequency of strobing + select several inbuilt chases. These are popular with teenage/20s parties. IMO they're NOT suitable for weddings, family parties, and similar events. Unlike many disco lights with an inbuilt strobe function, they never go unnoticed, 3000W of strobes is an 'in your face' effect if there ever was one, I do make a point of warning clients to be sure their guests are fully aware and warned of their intended use of strobes in case any of them suffer from photo epilepsy, and they should keep the frequency of the strobe to below 12Hz. (most strobes designed for the entertainment industry are factory regulated at, or below this)
    Last edited by Pe7e; 25-06-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire