Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Post COVID - what's the future going to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Yup, been saying that for a while. It's now clear that we are going to be literally the last to return, and it's quite possible that all of the custom we think has rescheduled, might still be lost as the functions might be forced to go ahead without us. We've hit a point now where people are getting impatient and are either just doing what they're allowed to at the moment, cancelling or just quietly going ahead regardless. Guides for Brides keep posting about micro weddings and split functions, neither of which help us at all. I've also seen photographers post quite a few pics this weekend of weddings and celebrations that are 100% outside the current guidelines that suggests some people are happy to completely ignore the rules.

My Xmas season was booked to a Theatre and they cancelled last week as they're now definitely not planning a return this year. I'm waiting for this weeks announcements before I contact a couple of proms that a hotel (optimistically) booked for early Sept. Not hopeful. All of the rhetoric in the news at the moment suggests that we're about to take a step backwards in lockdown measures (probably at a regional level) as schools return.

I'm pretty sure Benny has lost his bet for Oct.

Julian
    I really think a LOT of weddings will go ahead with whatever restrictions are in place. Yes, quite a few 'bend the rules' but this still won't be enough to sustain a business, even if you were prepared to go along.

Short term, I have quite a few Oct/Nov weddings still and they haven't postponed as early as other months. Expectations are high that they can go ahead as planned, however if this isn't the case I can see a lot simply going ahead without an evening reception.

Xmas - 2 of my residencies have already said they aren't doing Xmas parties with exception of any private bookings. Will we be allowed to supply a disco by then ? Who knows. The back of my mind I think yes, however so much depends on the current situation and also threat of a surge in Winter.

The local lockdown has been a real worry for me. Not only do I supply discos in other areas, I also have to consider that a lot of couples/families travel from other areas - will the risk be too great ?

Split functions - NEVER going to happen, move on and if you are relying on them I think you need to have a good hard think.

The future - I think weddings have definitely changed for good. I have always said 80% of what couples spend on a wedding is a total waste of money. I have even seen venues reducing prices as lets face it, for a standard 3 course meal the costs were horrific.

Saving grace for us is I can still see discos being in demand eventually (I am talking summer 2021 at the earliest). The people I think will struggle are the non essential addons - venue dressers, dancefloors, love letters, and all the other stuff people waste money on.

The wedding industry is apprehensive to see what announcements are made this week and majority are only campaigning for receptions to be allowed for 30 people. This just is NOT ENOUGH, especially for ourselves. There will be the odd exception, but apart from those already booked, if weddings are only going to be allowed for 30 people not many will be paying full price for suppliers. Some suppliers seem ignorant to this and so long as bookings are in the diary they are happy - perhaps why so many have struggled to get anything from SEISS etc (myself included in that).

Moving away from weddings - I think the bubble will burst with pubs/clubs having entertainment too. Social distancing is here for a long long time and although they are enjoying swift trade at the moment once bad weather arrives (putting a stop to outdoor events) and the real job cost of all this sinks in, many will struggle. A lot seem to have forgot how much they struggled before.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I think there will be a vaccine by early next year and by summer 2021 we'll be back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    I think there will be a vaccine by early next year and by summer 2021 we'll be back to normal.
    hope

BUT - what will be normal by then ?
    Wedding trends quickly change. As I say I don't think we will be affected too much, but almost certain weddings as we knew them will be a thing of the past with exception of those already underway with planning.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Short term, I have quite a few Oct/Nov weddings still and they haven't postponed as early as other months. Expectations are high that they can go ahead as planned, however if this isn't the case I can see a lot simply going ahead without an evening reception.
    I have a September wedding who is "waiting for the next announcement" - this is after I've told him that numbers are definitely not going to be relaxed until at least Oct. I'm waiting to see if he's going to be one of the rule breakers, if he is, I won't be there.

The local lockdown has been a real worry for me. Not only do I supply discos in other areas, I also have to consider that a lot of couples/families travel from other areas - will the risk be too great ?
    This is the biggest problem - who wants to plan any kind of function and take the risk of advertising costs and lining up suppliers if there is a high chance that it could be cancelled by the government with no notice at all.

Split functions - NEVER going to happen, move on and if you are relying on them I think you need to have a good hard think.
    I think I mentioned this on this thread before, the couples I've had go for a split function (marry now, party later) have got married and then cancelled the party. If I were them, I'd be doing the same, especially if I've already had to plan and re-plan my wedding twice.

Saving grace for us is I can still see discos being in demand eventually (I am talking summer 2021 at the earliest). The people I think will struggle are the non essential addons - venue dressers, dancefloors, love letters, and all the other stuff people waste money on.
    Based on how B&G's tend to perceive these items we could find that DJ's are the things that are considered "a waste of money" and are the first to go....

Moving away from weddings - I think the bubble will burst with pubs/clubs having entertainment too. Social distancing is here for a long long time and although they are enjoying swift trade at the moment once bad weather arrives (putting a stop to outdoor events) and the real job cost of all this sinks in, many will struggle. A lot seem to have forgot how much they struggled before.
    There's quite a few clubs around here who seem to have suddenly become bars. Fair enough, they have adjusted how they operate and now limit numbers and offer table service for drinks, but I still can't see them being particularly safe places to be when they're open 10pm to 5am!! Most of them ditched pre-booking after the first week and are now happily accepting walk-ins, so I'm guessing that they're not filling all the seats.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Hmmm....just had a very interesting conversation with my mechanic whilst picking up the disco bus from it's MOT.
    He was under the assumption that because weddings were sort of going ahead and that pubs were open again, that I was back at work behind the decks.

Just goes to show that even Joe Public don't understand what we're going through at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    hope

I'm not going to make a flippant response to that, merely that I would agree with Gavin.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm pretty sure Benny has lost his bet for Oct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Don't think he specified a year.
    I'm less confident on that prediction happening, but I haven't fully written it off yet...

Well I've actually picked up a little work - power and lighting for an outdoor theatre show that's being held for the last 2 weeks of August in some woods behind a venue I regularly provide exterior lighting for. Won't be a huge amount of money in it but I'm really looking forward to actually doing some work. Just hope I can remember which end of a cable is which.

I've just read an article about an event being held for a couple of months at a large country house where they've set up a stage and LED screen across a river from where they've set up an audience area for up to 500 people with benches and umbrellas etc, clearly marked to keep groups separate. Looks like they're having a mixture of bands, film screenings, 'pop up pub' nights etc, but one of the photos clearly showed a DJ on the stage. I'm not aware of any regulations/recommendations that specifically prevent DJs performing, but there's certainly no group dancing allowed which is where everyone on this forum will suffer. I've yet to approach any of my existing clients suggesting that I come along and spin some tunes for them plus 4 of their family/friends (total 6!), although thinking about it that's not such a crazy idea in these wierd times...

The owner of one of the marquee companies I regularly work with asked me about providing a PA for his daughter's wedding, casually saying they were planning on '30 people plus kids'. My suspicion is that was going to mean 45 people, plus kids, plus staff etc and I can't imagine any way people would be keeping 2m apart by 11pm. In some ways I can't blame them for pushing the boundaries and getting on with their lives, but there's a reason the government has put a limit of 30 people rather than '30 people plus kids plus a few extras plus staff plus whoever else happens to be there'. I did turn his request down, mainly because I know they'd crank it to 11 and I'd have roughly a 50% chance of getting the kit back with no damage.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but Mark Drakeford The First Minister here in Wales has had a few things to say today.

It was particularly noteworthy what he said when he was describing the perfect conditions for where the coronavirus thrives...

Someone asked when nightclubs can reopen (10mins 15secs of link below)... his reply was

"Nightclubs are not yet on the list of venues that can be reopened safely"

"Important for us to remember what conditions the virus thrives in..."

"Thrives in the indoors rather than outdoors, thrives in the dark as opposed to the light"

"Where ventilation is not part of the way a venue operates"

"And in a way I'm describing a nightclub..."

Also in reply to someone asking "when djs and other entertainment will be allowed in pubs and wedding receptions"... He said "the virus thrives not just in places where it's cold or dark or damp or where there isn't ventilation but the virus thrives in places that are loud and loud music makes us shout to be heard..." (see 27mins 35 secs).

That on top of him answering a question about when people can start singing (44mins 10secs) where he describes about someone wanting to sing at a funeral and said "We are going to have to go on a bit longer where singing is off the menu".

https://www.facebook.com/welshgovern...9363271439962/
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS