Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you say when you're busy?

Default What do you say when you're busy?

I've been mystery shopped by a friendly party (it's a good thing for once) and they gave me some feedback. Unluckily, they submitted an enquiry through my website for a date that I'm already booked and I gave a fairly brief response to that effect and my mystery shopper felt that I could probably have been a bit more "friendly" and my response may be leaving customers with a negative impression of my business.

I turn away about 80-100 enquiries a year because I'm already booked so I have a standard template for my reply to save me time and I think I need to rethink it.

How do you respond to enquiries for dates when you're already booked? Do you give them any information? Or keep it brief?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've been mystery shopped by a friendly party (it's a good thing for once) and they gave me some feedback. Unluckily, they submitted an enquiry through my website for a date that I'm already booked and I gave a fairly brief response to that effect and my mystery shopper felt that I could probably have been a bit more "friendly" and my response may be leaving customers with a negative impression of my business.

I turn away about 80-100 enquiries a year because I'm already booked so I have a standard template for my reply to save me time and I think I need to rethink it.

How do you respond to enquiries for dates when you're already booked? Do you give them any information? Or keep it brief?

Julian
    I keep it brief along the lines of "sorry, I'm already booked for that date so am unable to help on this occasion" (I also use that when I don't fancy the gig either). Not had any complaints yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I keep it brief along the lines of "sorry, I'm already booked for that date so am unable to help on this occasion" (I also use that when I don't fancy the gig either). Not had any complaints yet.
    I do exactly the same and my mystery shopper says that felt very blunt and we should at least congratulate them before we tell them to off

I'm going to go and find some heart gifs to make my response more fluffy.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

Hi [name]

Thanks for getting in touch.

Sadly, I am already booked for [date].

If there's anything further I can help you with for your wedding, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards

[Your Name]
    Last edited by rth_discos; 30-08-2020 at 09:48 AM.

I've been mystery shopped by a friendly party
    I think I know the background to the reason for mystery shopping...

I would suggest that the mystery shopper is therefore not a typical client and is over analysing.

Unless you get any feedback the same from actual potential clients, then I wouldn't read too much into this.

There's nothing you can do about dates you are already booked for, and most clients just appreciate a quick, honest response so they can move on to another option.

I would focus on the dates you are available for that you're not converting, rather than this.

I'm sure you know exactly where this has come from I agree with what you're saying, but they may have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I would focus on the dates you are available for that you're not converting, rather than this.
    As they say in sales, every contact is a potential customer (even if they may not be one today).

Julian

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    There's nothing you can do about dates you are already booked for, and most clients just appreciate a quick, honest response so they can move on to another option.
    Incorrect, because you can offer an alternative.

In the email, put in some details of some who you would recommend. Even better, go that one step further - ask those who you would have recommended if they are available. If they are, send the client an email saying that unfortunately I'm not available but one of my trusted colleagues are. Would you like me to make an introduction? 99% of the time they will say yes, then you can reply with the other DJ copied in with a short blurb about how they are the knees of the bee.

If none are available, at least you'd reply with that you tried but unfortunately I cannot offer you an alternative that I would put my name to. If you do continue to struggle to find a DJ, you could try a service like Need A Disco. I cannot speak intelligently on the quality of suppliers on there but if you're running out of options, it may prove to be a lifeline for you.

The gig isn't yours to win anyway, so just use it as an opportunity to earn some karma. It's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Incorrect, because you can offer an alternative.

In the email, put in some details of some who you would recommend. Even better, go that one step further - ask those who you would have recommended if they are available. If they are, send the client an email saying that unfortunately I'm not available but one of my trusted colleagues are. Would you like me to make an introduction? 99% of the time they will say yes, then you can reply with the other DJ copied in with a short blurb about how they are the knees of the bee.

If none are available, at least you'd reply with that you tried but unfortunately I cannot offer you an alternative that I would put my name to. If you do continue to struggle to find a DJ, you could try a service like Need A Disco. I cannot speak intelligently on the quality of suppliers on there but if you're running out of options, it may prove to be a lifeline for you.

The gig isn't yours to win anyway, so just use it as an opportunity to earn some karma. It's what I do.
    Thats pretty much what I do.

I'm not available but if you'd like I can check with some trusted colleagues who will look after you.

Most are appreciative of it and there's a small network of guys up here that we all do the same for each other.

I've been mystery shopped by a friendly party (it's a good thing for once) and they gave me some feedback.

Julian
    LOL - just twigged who the mystery shopper was

I had a couple and seemed to get by without any negative comments (hence the Highly Commended)
    Alan was ALWAYS going to be in the bag for the top place on that one though.

VERY surprised that I came a very close second! (literally just a couple of points in it!)

As been mentioned if you can think of any suitable suppliers you can suggest then include those. I'd personally rather someone just say sorry we're already booked rather than pad it out with small talk.

My thought is though, if you're turning that many away think of all the extra revenue you could be making, going multi op for example (this is tricky but if you're sensible and smart it's good way to go).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk