Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we return in 2021?

2 festivals I've seen cancelled for this summer now - and there may be more.

Boomtown festival is the big one - especially as they received a significant amount of Government funding. Wasn't even due to take place until August.

Also saw a local festival on the Isle of Wight - Rhythymtree (July) has cancelled too.

Apparently there may well be more over the coming days, mainly because they can't get insurance should the event be unable to proceed due to Coronavirus.

Well, yesterday I started emailing every couple who have booked me, just to confirm Date and Venue to ensure my records were 100% correct.

So far, out of all the replies I have received everyone is confident on going ahead as planned - even the late June and July dates.

At least we know there is public confidence, let's hope it materialises
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Hi all

between 17th May and 21st June can we provide Disco entertainment with people dancing indoors or outdoors? I had an enquiry for a 40th Birthday party on 22nd May in a pubs garden but cannot find any clear guidance apart from up to 30 people. Not sure what to do with this?
    What are your opinions?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Max View Post
    Hi all

between 17th May and 21st June can we provide Disco entertainment with people dancing indoors or outdoors? I had an enquiry for a 40th Birthday party on 22nd May in a pubs garden but cannot find any clear guidance apart from up to 30 people. Not sure what to do with this?
    What are your opinions?
    Thanks
    I think the general consensus on this is that what we do (i.e. loud music and dancing) isn't going to be allowed until 21st June at the earliest. That's certainly the way most people I know are interpreting the rules.

Best best is to contact your local Environmental Health dept and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I think the general consensus on this is that what we do (i.e. loud music and dancing) isn't going to be allowed until 21st June at the earliest. That's certainly the way most people I know are interpreting the rules.

Best best is to contact your local Environmental Health dept and see what they say.
    Cue enquiry this morning from "Paddy" (no lie) for Disco, Dancefloor and singer in a marquee for 100 guests on the 17th of May

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Max View Post
    Hi all

What are your opinions?
    Thanks
    You will need to contact your local authority as each one has different restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    2 festivals I've seen cancelled for this summer now - and there may be more.

Boomtown festival is the big one - especially as they received a significant amount of Government funding. Wasn't even due to take place until August.

Also saw a local festival on the Isle of Wight - Rhythymtree (July) has cancelled too.

Apparently there may well be more over the coming days, mainly because they can't get insurance should the event be unable to proceed due to Coronavirus.
    OK - the big festivals NEED insurance backing....a lot of money is at stake on those. I totally get why they're cancelling (and I can sort of see why the government won't do the underwriting because at the end of the day, they really don't know much more about this thing than we do (or do they????)

And yet, over in Spain (much worse than us for infections etc.), they've recently run a music event with 5,000 people and only 6 positives as a result (and four of those are believed to have contracted Covid from elsewhere) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...sLDVgWWs8coA4Y

OK, they wore masks, but social distancing wasn't required. They were also tested before and after the event.

It'll be interesting to see what the Liverpool nightclub tests throw up (without masks) next month....after all, it's THAT event in particular which is going to dictate what WE do. Bear in mind that most of the attendees will be under 40 and will not have had any sort of vaccine...

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Well, yesterday I started emailing every couple who have booked me, just to confirm Date and Venue to ensure my records were 100% correct.

So far, out of all the replies I have received everyone is confident on going ahead as planned - even the late June and July dates.

At least we know there is public confidence, let's hope it materialises
    I haven't dared to email my July clients...yet. I'm sure at the moment they think their weddings will be going ahead with 150+ in attendance though (because let's face it...that's what the current rhetoric says). We'll have to wait and see what the test events show.

The general public are getting braver and back to what they know as normal. As an example, until the most recent easing of restrictions I was taking a van of groceries on the road at just under a bag of sugar under its legal weight each and every night and delivering until 11:30pm. Since the last easing, online deliveries have died a MASSIVE death and we're normally back in the yard at between 8pm and 9pm (certainly no later than 10pm)....they're going in and doing it themselves!

I'm driving past beer gardens and seeing punters with no masks, talking and shouting at each other over a pint without a mask...it's refreshing but frightening at the same time (sorry....I'm a little nervous of this type of thing at the moment).

Let's face it, daily deaths are in the teens, infections have remained at around 2.5k per day....it looks like things are stabilising.

It's all looking very positive (and I need to speak to my employers about changing my shifts soon...but it's like when I first went full time and I haven't quite got the nerve because I really can't see normal as we knew it a couple of years ago for a while yet).

I'd truly LOVE to be back to doing what we do for a living come June 21st (oh....trust me....I REALLY would). Having spoken to several of my lockdown job colleagues recently, can we see it happening this year? Absolutely not.

There WILL be the requirement for negative tests or vaccinations before and after weddings. Add to that the international travel bans and in my heart of hearts , I can't see a lot happening this year. Who want's a party with a face mask after all?

Just my thoughts and rantings after another very long and boring shift of driving Prosecco and Avacado's around but that's how I think it is for this year

I think the general availability of lateral flow tests is what will allow a return of 'normal'.

For example, folks heading to the Scottish islands where healthcare facilities are minimal are being urged (but not forced) to take two tests before travelling and calling off their trip if they test positive. Latest stats show these things giving false positives around 0.1% to 3% of the time depending which study you follow, and when general transmission rates are as low as they are, I think this is an acceptable trade-off. You can just walk into a pharmacy and pick up a pack of these for free, or order them online for home delivery.

Given a few more weeks and I reckon small-ish informal gatherings (ie not 1000+ crammed into a small room) will be allowed with a recommendation that every attendee does a couple of these tests in the days leading up to the event and avoiding going if they show positive. Yes, it relies on folks' goodwill to some degree and there will be a handful that ignore the advice or show positive but turn up anyway, but with the most vulnerable folks fully vaxed up by then I think the risk will be deemed acceptable.

I haven't dared to email my July clients...yet. I'm sure at the moment they think their weddings will be going ahead with 150+ in attendance though (because let's face it...that's what the current rhetoric says). We'll have to wait and see what the test events show.
    I've got a public booking early July for over a hundred folk. Theoretically. Confirmed , as we speak. Weddings in June, although some are 30 or less.

The general public are getting braver and back to what they know as normal. As an example, until the most recent easing of restrictions I was taking a van of groceries on the road at just under a bag of sugar under its legal weight each and every night and delivering until 11:30pm. Since the last easing, online deliveries have died a MASSIVE death and we're normally back in the yard at between 8pm and 9pm (certainly no later than 10pm)....they're going in and doing it themselves!
    Since we were jabbed, Jeanette's back to using Tesco, and I'm allowed to make my pilgrimages to Lidl again, with the " Middle of Lidl" treasure trove.
    I'm driving past beer gardens and seeing punters with no masks, talking and shouting at each other over a pint without a mask...it's refreshing but frightening at the same time (sorry....I'm a little nervous of this type of thing at the moment).

Let's face it, daily deaths are in the teens, infections have remained at around 2.5k per day....it looks like things are stabilising.

It's all looking very positive (and I need to speak to my employers about changing my shifts soon...but it's like when I first went full time and I haven't quite got the nerve because I really can't see normal as we knew it a couple of years ago for a while yet).
    Mainly due to the vaccination programme, I feel. I read the other day that currently, we 'd reached " Herd Immunity " level, so that's good news, and seems to be in line with the numbers.

I'd truly LOVE to be back to doing what we do for a living come June 21st (oh....trust me....I REALLY would). Having spoken to several of my lockdown job colleagues recently, can we see it happening this year? Absolutely not.
    Bog off, Cassandra!
    Actually, that's a moot point, I feel. On the one hand, I reckon: ( price thread alert! ) there will be loads of work about, but much of it at " lower than optimal rates ", so although Wayne's probably right that drawing a living wage from discos and related work isn't possible, making a reasonable additional income will be.
    There WILL be the requirement for negative tests or vaccinations before and after weddings. Add to that the international travel bans and in my heart of hearts , I can't see a lot happening this year. Who want's a party with a face mask after all?

Just my thoughts and rantings after another very long and boring shift of driving Prosecco and Avacado's around but that's how I think it is for this year
    Technically nobody. However, there's a pent up tsunami of parties about to hit, and I'm manning a lifeboat. It's yellow, and it's full of disco kit, for the first time in forever.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    I think the general availability of lateral flow tests is what will allow a return of 'normal'.

For example, folks heading to the Scottish islands where healthcare facilities are minimal are being urged (but not forced) to take two tests before travelling and calling off their trip if they test positive. Latest stats show these things giving false positives around 0.1% to 3% of the time depending which study you follow, and when general transmission rates are as low as they are, I think this is an acceptable trade-off. You can just walk into a pharmacy and pick up a pack of these for free, or order them online for home delivery.

Given a few more weeks and I reckon small-ish informal gatherings (ie not 1000+ crammed into a small room) will be allowed with a recommendation that every attendee does a couple of these tests in the days leading up to the event and avoiding going if they show positive. Yes, it relies on folks' goodwill to some degree and there will be a handful that ignore the advice or show positive but turn up anyway, but with the most vulnerable folks fully vaxed up by then I think the risk will be deemed acceptable.
    Yep, I agree, testing looks likely to be the way forward, HOWEVER will people be truthful. You do these tests at home, record your results manually, then chuck it in the bin.

What will the likelihood be of a best man, bridesmaid, parents etc testing positive, isolating for 10 days and missing a wedding ? Maybe I am cynical but can't see many - in fact if honest, when back to work if I got a positive test, I would sure as hell do more till I got a negative.