Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unspecified Venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Abut how on earth can you have a definite date for a wedding when you don't have a venue?

I just don't get it.
    It may be that a date is something that is required in the form they are completing, so isn't as definite as the enquiry looks.

However, I think it's great that we get an opportunity to give them information on pricing that early in the process so they can budget appropriately for the entertainment.

I'm glad someone resurrected this as it reminded me that I should give an update.

NaD saw a big increase in 'venue not specified' during the pandemic as people couldn't get hold of venues to discuss terms / make bookings because they were closed. Since "normality" has returned however the number of VNSs hasn't fallen back as far as prior to the pandemic for some reason.

Prompted by this thread a little while back, we added an additional question to the quote form for anyone choosing VNS and ran this against a small percentage of random enquiries over the course of a couple of weeks until we have a few hundred responses.

The reasons given for VNS were surprisingly varied and included:

Windowshoppers - made up mainly of folks at the early stages of planning an event wanting to gather costs and availability for suppliers they like the look of (or can afford) before making any commitments

Dreamers - folks with nothing better to do than fill in forms online with no real intention of going forward (thankfully not too many of these!)

Undecideds - folks with several "irons in the fire" when it came to venues (good for DJs to be considered so early on) so can only specify the rough area

CBAs - those who know which venue they are using or already have a shortlist in mind, but can't be typing it in or selecting it from a lengthy drop-down list

No ideas - folks genuinely looking for help pointing them in the right direction re: venue recommendations and looking to professionals in the industry to help out

Worriers - those who know exactly which venue they're using but choose not to share the information publicly - examples here ranged from "not wanting the ex to find out where the wedding will be" to "concerned that the supplier will bump up the price when they find out it's a decent / crappy venue"

If the proportion of VNSs remains stubbornly high once we get through the Christmas/New Year enquiries I'm inclined to consider looking again at the questions we ask to try to eke a bit more information out of those that choose not to tell us at the enquiry stage. The problem is that every additional question/input in a quote request form has a negative impact on the number of completed enquiries. So we have to tread a fine line and ensure that every question delivers maximum value.

In the meantime I stand by my previous advice; maybe have a handful of favourite venues to recommend at various price points and offer to make this list available to anyone responding to a quote. I wouldn't send it out by default personally as there will be those that will then cut you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post

In the meantime I stand by my previous advice; maybe have a handful of favourite venues to recommend at various price points and offer to make this list available to anyone responding to a quote. I wouldn't send it out by default personally as there will be those that will then cut you out.
    Hmmm Martin, that's gloomy reading to me. The only crumb of comfort I can take from it is more work for me initially. Seems I should now create a document of " Venues I know and love" to go out with my quotes, broken down by towns ( or even counties. I get around a bit ).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    II'm inclined to consider looking again at the questions we ask to try to eke a bit more information out of those that choose not to tell us at the enquiry stage. The problem is that every additional question/input in a quote request form has a negative impact on the number of completed enquiries. So we have to tread a fine line and ensure that every question delivers maximum value.
    This is the bit I think is tripping people up:

I know which venue I will be using
    What is the first part of the venue's postcode?

Has it always been that way? I couldn't tell you what the first part of the postcode was for any venue I work at even. And for people on a phone, it's a faff to try and Google it in a new tab.

So I would hit the "I'm looking for a venue" button instead.

That's the bit I'd recommend re-working somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    This is the bit I think is tripping people up:

So I would hit the "I'm looking for a venue" button instead.

That's the bit I'd recommend re-working somehow.
    How about a question "do you have a specific venue booked"? Would add some certainty to the event, even if they don't disclose it to all and sundry. I've seen many enquiries where it's given in the " extras " at the end, and not the header.

All my quotes come to me directly (not via Needadisco etc) and I tend to find the only ones that don’t include a venue are ones that know it is upstairs, no parking etc.

I will always reply that the quote is personalised so I can’t quote with out a venue. Some will reply quoting the venue. If I have chosen not to play there again I say I am unable to quote as I can’t play the venue because and give the real reason. If they reply with a suitable venue then I quote with a suitable price.

I had one recently that didn't even have a date (well they had narrowed it down to 2024) for the wedding never mind a venue. Hard pass from me.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    All my quotes come to me directly (not via Needadisco etc) and I tend to find the only ones that don’t include a venue are ones that know it is upstairs, no parking etc.

I will always reply that the quote is personalised so I can’t quote with out a venue. Some will reply quoting the venue. If I have chosen not to play there again I say I am unable to quote as I can’t play the venue because and give the real reason. If they reply with a suitable venue then I quote with a suitable price.
    ^^^ This!

I deal directly with the client...they come to ME. My "booking software" won't allow me to produce a quote or booking agreement without the venue name supplied - simple as that. If there are problems with the venue such as an oversensitive sound limiter, awkward access or awkward staff...the client is made aware. Being truthful is the only way the relationship between me and them is going to work.

To all the honourable gentlemen who have pointed out that they are in the fortunate position of being inundated with clients direct from their own websites, and have no need for spurious or incomplete enquiries from third party sites, after lengthy consideration, I feel I can now make a considered response.

The above response may perhaps be coloured by the client who has just filled a gap in I've been keen to close. She was uncertain of the venue, and promised to book once she'd got a definite. So, she gets a venue, says she wants to book, and guess what? You park in a supermarket car park, and trundle the kit in through the beer garden.

OK, seriously: I think I'm going to add a rider to quotes. ( It would have been a caveat, but that's a breach of Rule 23, so I can't use it. ) Something along the lines of " Please note that if you haven't haven't specified a venue, this quote is not binding, as certain venues pose logistical problems we are not happy to deal with".

If you have a better wording, please feel free to share it here, that's straight off the top of my head. Thanks.

I have a very simple approach to pricing for challenging venues. My fees are high enough that, if a venue turns out to be challenging, I'm OK with it. If the venue turns out to be easy, then even better.

Back on topic though, I get regular enquiries through a bridal website where the venue isn't specified. In nearly every case the couple have either neglected to enter their venue into the site or have forgotten to personalise the message sent to me to include it. At the moment I'm getting enquiries for 3-4 weeks time with no venue selected and I refuse to believe that anyone hasn't got at least an idea of the venue this close to their wedding date (if only because there are legal things that have to happen to be able to get married, and most of them take more than 4 weeks in England!!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography