Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Storage units

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    I've had my container unit for a few months now and so glad I went for it. It makes loading/uploading so much easier!

I've got a mix of shelving (similar to the link a few posts ago) along with pallets which came up for free on Facebay days after taking the unit on.

Still not got everything quite all finished, but even being half done and some shelves in pieces on the floor ready for assembly there's plenty of room.

Even got space for a work bench and a couple of chairs when doing routine checks etc on kit.
    The acid test is coming though with the cold and that......
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Absolutely. When I was on the Isle of Wight, I was in a professional storage unit in a building, but it had a very thin roof and got quite cold in there - and I was surprised just how cold and damp the equipment got. Fortunately, it was only one winter, and the unit I am back in since moving back to Berkshire has a much better temperature year round - it never gets too hot in the summer, nor cold in the winter, and I'm confident the equipment is much better off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Absolutely. When I was on the Isle of Wight, I was in a professional storage unit in a building, but it had a very thin roof and got quite cold in there - and I was surprised just how cold and damp the equipment got. Fortunately, it was only one winter, and the unit I am back in since moving back to Berkshire has a much better temperature year round - it never gets too hot in the summer, nor cold in the winter, and I'm confident the equipment is much better off for it.
    Obviously you can't do anything about a building, and you'd be limited in containers as to how much you could do, but insulation is your friend. My storage shed has 50mm of insulation between two 20 mm timber skins. It's never hot in summer, and never cold in winter. I planned to fit a frost thermostat and heater, but haven't needed to. I can remember when I had the old trailer for storage, onw cold winter, basically having to wait for the Cortex to thaw out and reach full operating speed!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I've had various storage containers on the same site for nigh on 15 years now. They're shipping containers at heart, but the site owner clads the floors in plywood and the ceilings in 50mm polystyrene (Heaven forefend me putting something away too warm or indeed one of the neighbour's classic cars or speedboats catching fire ), and the containers are in huge rows so the neighbours insulate me from the sides and the rear against the worst the British weather can throw at me.

It gets too hot to comfortably lug stuff around in on a hot day, it gets a "bit" chilly on the cold winters days, but it's NEVER let me down in the functionality of the kit.

I'm still doing the sums on having my garage converted to a kit store. It'd pay for the building work within about 3 years from my calculations and have the added benefits of electricity and not having to do a 20 mile round trip to collect/store the kit (the cost of diesel to collect/drop off the kit is as important as the price of renting the container)

Got the shelving units part set up and they feel mega sturdy.

Waiting on the upgraded padlocks and hasp to arrive (hopefully tomorrow) before I put the kit in and finalise where the shelves are going to sit bit I'm very impressed for 60 odd quid.

It looks like their might be cavity insulation but I'm going to look into putting insulation up between the joists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    It looks like their might be cavity insulation but I'm going to look into putting insulation up between the joists.
    A wise old man said earlier in this thread, that insulation is your friend. Without using tradenames, and giving Mr Jacksons employer an advert, you want the coated stuff, not plain polystyrene. The wool/fibreglass type products can be a pain to use, and can also cause allergic reactions/irritations.

Also, with insulation, beware rodents. They are your biggest enemy. They love insulation. And Peanut Butter/Chocolate in traps, humane or lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    A wise old man said earlier in this thread, that insulation is your friend. Without using tradenames, and giving Mr Jacksons employer an advert, you want the coated stuff, not plain polystyrene. The wool/fibreglass type products can be a pain to use, and can also cause allergic reactions/irritations.

Also, with insulation, beware rodents. They are your biggest enemy. They love insulation. And Peanut Butter/Chocolate in traps, humane or lethal.

Dinae worry pal as well as handsome and quite good at thexold Djing, I'm reasonably handy

Now, what would Johnny HMRC say if I did my loft with the remaining material?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Dinae worry pal as well as handsome and quite good at thexold Djing, I'm reasonably handy

Now, what would Johnny HMRC say if I did my loft with the remaining material?
    There won't be any left over, Jim. You know how to use a tape measure.

What, you mean, your supplier has a minimum quantity purchase? How inconvenient.

Almost finished getting it set up. Insulated the roof the other day, no idea if it'll make a difference tbh but it's worth trying.

Going to finish building the shelving tomorrow now the gear is in it I can play around and set it up the way I want.

I've got a shed alarm to install and I'm going to add a deadbolt to the top of the door so it's well dubbed up.

It's actually a bit of a pain in the arse to get into already with the keys so hopefully any wrong un will have no chance.

Getting there. Insulated the bottom shelf to give a bit of protection from the concrete in the winter. Going to cut up a pallet and insulate that for sitting the booth and bar bag on. Might wrap the wall around the shelves or get some MDF on the sides of the shelving at the walls and insulate them.

Name:  IMG_20220918_173705606_HDR.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  44.8 KB

Got a little yale alarm installed too. Works good in daylight will need to test it later when it's dark. I'm sure my neighbours will love me.

Couple of local urchins popped their head in to see what I was doing and asked if they could come in to the lock up.i

I said no and they shouldn't be talking to me because I'm a stranger. They took this as their cue to rundown the street shouting "THE MAN IN THE GARAGE IS STRANGER DANGER!!!"