Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Storage units

Default Storage units

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at getting a lock up to make life a lot easier keeping everything in one place.

My only concern is keeping all the electrical items in one over winter.

Does anyone have a unit or container? Have you put insulation in to better protect them in the winter or left as is?

Cheers!
    Nathan.

Mine's always been kept in one of those containerised storage yards with no problem.

The container itself has had a wooden floor put into it by the owners with insulation under it, and the ceiling's been lagged with polystyrene. The walls are the bare steel but it's surrounded on three sides by neighbouring containers.

There are several companies on the same site as me storing anything from books and paper to greetings cards so damp's not a real issue.

Never had any problems other than just a little bit of mildew from time to time (not a lot) on protective bags and to be honest, most of that's probably where they've got damp during loading and unloading.

The only downside (for my unit) is the lack of electricity. It means if I want to do any testing/repairing, I have to drag the stuff home. Other than that, it's always worked really well for me. Oh...and the lack of lighting at silly A.M, especially when you've forgotten to charge up the torches

Something else to consider....what's the security like where you're looking? Shipping containers themselves are fairly easy to break into with the right tools. The place I use have what's known as "lock boxes" over the padlocks (takes a professional locksmith half a day to get into one when they've needed to), monitored CCTV, access cards so they know who's been in and all sorts of other stuff. Something to consider and may actually be a condition of getting gear insured when stored as well.

If it's a fairly small room you need then I'd look at the safestore, storeking etc. type of places. Might seem a bit pricey but it's safe and secure.

Garden sheds and the things like that will need damp proofing really and you've got the security issue too.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

In terms of 'self storage' type facilities, there seems to be two types.

One is the containerised storage, with a bunch of containers in a yard. The other is a large warehouse with small rooms inside.

I'm currently in one of the named brand warehouses with small rooms inside. I say rooms, they're more like cupboards!

But I've been really impressed with the consistency of temperature within the entire warehouse. It's never been cold in winter, nor has it been hot in summer. So I've always felt very comfortable. When I was on the Isle of Wight, the storage there did get quite cold in winter, and I was worried things were getting very slightly damp.

My main considerations were:

24 hour access (not everywhere offers this)
    Security for me when unloading at night. Not all places have a yard with a gate on it. I like that when I'm unloading at 2am, I'm in a secure yard, with a gate that is locked and only those with an access code can get in.
    Relatively close - I didn't want a big diversion at the end of the night

Final tip. It is absolutely essential to use shelving units. It's all about using the height in the cupboards. You want to get the absolute smallest possible unit you can, because you are paying for size. So squeeze everything in, and use shelving units to maximise how you use the space - you'll save what you spend on them in that you will be able to use a smaller unit (plus they are really easy to sell on in the future).

Not much to add, have visited a couple of units the same colour as my van on many occasions for daughter, and also other DJs. Nice places, but as stated, rooms can be very small.
    If you're looking at shipping containers circled in a yard ( there are a few near me ) polystyrene is your friend. Lack of power stops you adding frost free heaters and the like.

Alternatively, look at home storage, if that's possible. I built a shed myself with insulation and electricity, but I've not had a need to use heaters or dehumidifiers yet.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks for all your feedback and experiences

The one I'm looking at this week is gated with CCTV, user key codes and 24 hour access so security is as good as will be.

Insurance and shelving will be arranged if/when I sign on the dotted line for a unit.

There's units nearby wanting £70 for 35sq ft , so a 20ft container is the better value option at this moment in time.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Thanks for all your feedback and experiences

The one I'm looking at this week is gated with CCTV, user key codes and 24 hour access so security is as good as will be.

Insurance and shelving will be arranged if/when I sign on the dotted line for a unit.

There's units nearby wanting £70 for 35sq ft , so a 20ft container is the better value option at this moment in time.
    I'm currently paying just under £100 per 4 weeks for a 25 sq ft 'room'. And actually, it's plenty big enough - I don't even have shelving in it this time round (didn't get round to it), so unless you have dancefloors etc to store, it's more than adequate for a disco. I have the full disco in there, and even all the empty boxes from the equipment, and with shelving I could still get loads more in there.

My first unit was 15sq ft - that one was a bit of a squeeze to get all the disco in, but it certainly did fit just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm currently paying just under £100 per 4 weeks for a 25 sq ft 'room'. And actually, it's plenty big enough - I don't even have shelving in it this time round (didn't get round to it), so unless you have dancefloors etc to store, it's more than adequate for a disco*. I have the full disco in there, and even all the empty boxes from the equipment, and with shelving I could still get loads more in there.

My first unit was 15sq ft - that one was a bit of a squeeze to get all the disco in, but it certainly did fit just fine.
    * To misquote Mr Blair ( Eric**, not Tony ) " not all discos are equal". Nearly 100 sq ft, shelving galore, and it's not big enough.

** For those who didn't know, George Orwell, author of Animal Farm ( a book everyone should read ) was born Eric Arthur Blair.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    * To misquote Mr Blair ( Eric**, not Tony ) " not all discos are equal". Nearly 100 sq ft, shelving galore, and it's not big enough.

** For those who didn't know, George Orwell, author of Animal Farm ( a book everyone should read ) was born Eric Arthur Blair.
    150 sq ft this end () at the princely sum of £125 a month, and it's OK for storing stuff (yes, it's racked up) but my Gawd if I need to swing too much stuff around it can become complicated and tight.

I've got a small storage room built into the side of my house (a lucky by product of adapting a room for my daughter) and it's 9ft x 6ft (54sq ft). That's carrying 4 PAs, 3 photobooths, 2 booths and all of the playout and lighting kit. It does have the occasional issue with mildew because it's a small space without a lot of ventilation, so I run a small dehumidifier in there 24x7 and it seems to do the trick.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography