Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those that do all day weddings...what do you eat?

Default Those that do all day weddings...what do you eat?

Definitely a problem of my own making because I don't insist on being fed like photographers etc., but the offer's always "nice"

However, I've done a LOT of all-day weddings this year where the subject of feeding me during the day hasn't even been discussed. Some have, and it's been appreciated (it's a long day after all). Some have asked me after the event if I'd been fed (some caterers deserve to go to Hell for forgetting I'm supposed to be fed), and most just haven't bothered. It's actually been the same for a few of the photographers I've worked with as well.

It's no sweat to me...after all, someone who works in an office or factory takes their own lunch with them...don't they?

BUT...especially during the current run of hot weddings when it's hard to keep stuff cool in the van (even in a cool-box, what do you take with you?

I tend to eat junk. I go for fatty and sugary stuff which is going to give me a quick "hit" to get me through the day and sadly end up visiting a 24hr Ronalds or similar on the way home for yet more sugar. It's not doing me any good and it's certainly not healthy, but I personally find there isn't the time during the day to take and eat something a little more healthy.

What's everyone else doing?

Ah yes, this hoary old chestnut. I'm broadly in line with you on this, Wayne. Depending on timings and location, it's usually grab a Meal Deal on the way, and get Jeanette to pack the coolbox.
    This year, I've had all sorts of experiences. Being forgotten is leading the way, although at the last one all suppliers joined the buffet line to partake of exactly the same splendid food as the guests. I've also had a little box of comestibles left in the site fridge for me at one wedding.

Re caterers, Wayne I hear you. One client had specifically ordered and paid for food for all on site staff, as he'd realised we'd be a tad peckish, ( It explained why I could see bar staff discreetly liberating packets of crisps from the stylish stand they were on ) but none were forthcoming. Wouldn't be the first time I've known clients pay to feed hungry togs and DJs, but caterers " forgot". And to be fair, some caterers are absolute stars.

Anyway, to answer the question Wayne, fatty and sugary aren't really on my list, due to the person packing it, my health conscious wife Jeanette. However, against all the advice of health professionals and nutritionists, if I haven't been able to raid the buffet at a gig, I too am a regular at the Golden Arches emporia. Their coffee is still cheap, and tastes better than the big names, in my humble opinion. Their burgers however just don't do it for me, even the special Limited ones, so it's always a chicken product for me.

It would be nice if clients considered us a bit more in this respect. Perhaps Wayne, we're victims of our pricing policies? So may times I've seen from lead generation sites a low, low fee, but with the rider " feel free to partake of the buffet ".

And at the risk of resurrecting two long dead threads which led to some very frank exchanges of views, do guests just expect that we'll dive in unbidden anyway?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Definitely a problem of my own making because I don't insist on being fed like photographers etc., but the offer's always "nice"

However, I've done a LOT of all-day weddings this year where the subject of feeding me during the day hasn't even been discussed.
    It's really simple - I do the opposite. I absolutely insist on being fed a hot meal.

I don't hide it away in my terms and conditions (it is in there), but it's also a question on my planning forms. "Details of hot food being provided for me". That way, I know I've been accounted for because they've detailed what I'm getting. I've not had any objection to it.

Of course, I only request this for all day weddings - never evening only ones.

Typically, I get the wedding breakfast. Occasionally it's an allowance for food at the bar - tends to vary depending on the venue. Every time I've eaten, I'm with the photographers (who aren't there until the very end), so it's not an unusual request.

So my day looks like this:

I'll get up and have breakfast. Head off and get everything set up. If it's a 1pm or later wedding, I'll have my lunch (that I took with me). Usually this is a sandwich and ceral bar or something similar.

Then the wedding breakfast comes - always after the guests get served. So around 5pm ish.

I'll then have some light snacks with me for the evening, such as flap jacks in case I get a bit peckish. I'll then also have one in case I'm hungry at the end of the night, although I've been tempted into the Wild Bean Cafe "tea and bacon roll" deal on the way home recently (I mean it's only slightly more expensive than just the tea!).

So I try as best as possible to keep my calorie count to the usual amount.

Plus, I take *lots* of bottles of water with me to stay hydrated throughout. A cup of tea at some point always goes down really well!

But apart from lunch, which is eaten just a couple of hours after I've left home, I don't need to worry about trying to keep food cool.

Plus, a proper hot meal in the afternoon makes all the difference for being suitable satisfied and fueled for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's really simple - I do the opposite. I absolutely insist on being fed a hot meal.

I don't hide it away in my terms and conditions (it is in there), but it's also a question on my planning forms. "Details of hot food being provided for me". That way, I know I've been accounted for because they've detailed what I'm getting. I've not had any objection to it.

Of course, I only request this for all day weddings - never evening only ones.

Typically, I get the wedding breakfast. Occasionally it's an allowance for food at the bar - tends to vary depending on the venue. Every time I've eaten, I'm with the photographers (who aren't there until the very end), so it's not an unusual request.

So my day looks like this:

I'll get up and have breakfast. Head off and get everything set up. If it's a 1pm or later wedding, I'll have my lunch (that I took with me). Usually this is a sandwich and ceral bar or something similar.

Then the wedding breakfast comes - always after the guests get served. So around 5pm ish.

I'll then have some light snacks with me for the evening, such as flap jacks in case I get a bit peckish. I'll then also have one in case I'm hungry at the end of the night, although I've been tempted into the Wild Bean Cafe "tea and bacon roll" deal on the way home recently (I mean it's only slightly more expensive than just the tea!).

So I try as best as possible to keep my calorie count to the usual amount.

Plus, I take *lots* of bottles of water with me to stay hydrated throughout. A cup of tea at some point always goes down really well!

But apart from lunch, which is eaten just a couple of hours after I've left home, I don't need to worry about trying to keep food cool.

Plus, a proper hot meal in the afternoon makes all the difference for being suitable satisfied and fueled for the evening.
    Oooh I drink LOTS of water during a gig (probably more than is healthy). A tip I learned during my "lockdown" job as a Sainsbury's delivery driver was to deep freeze a couple of bottles and let them defrost into a cool and chilling drink later on.

It's the actual grub that's the problem. I'd never even thought of flapjacks!

As Peter has mentioned (and he's in the same boat as me seemingly), we're often forgotten.

I'm doing a lot of all day/part day weddings now, and although lunch isn't a major problem (depending on how far I have to travel/what time I have to be onsite), dinner is definitely becoming an issue. I'm living on Scotch eggs, cocktail sausages and chocolate at most weddings at the moment.

Would you mind sending me the clause in your contract which mentions food please? I'm getting bored with the 'togger gorging on food whilst I stand there starving for the same number of hours!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I don't do that many all day gigs (single digits for the entire year), but I am getting more photo work.

Protein cookies from MyProtein are the way to go. They are dry though, and best consumed with a cuppa.

As long as I know, I'm ok with not being fed. I did a photo gig once where the guests enjoyed a proper meal, whereas I, my second shooter and a Videographer were given an £8 platter of sandwiches from Morrisons to share between us (the label with the price was still on it). In that instance,I would have preferred not to have been fed. Quite the middle finger, I thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Would you mind sending me the clause in your contract which mentions food please? I'm getting bored with the 'togger gorging on food whilst I stand there starving for the same number of hours!
    As my client, you agree:
    To provide a hot meal to the DJ when the performance time is in excess of 6 hours (ie, for ‘All Day Wedding’ and ‘Wedding Breakfast and Evening’ packages)

Obviously just one clause within a load of others around the what the client must do.

In my DJEP Planning Form, as part of the "Wedding Breakfast" section which asks questions about the music for the wedding breakfast, microphone for the speeches etc, there is also the following question:

"Please detail hot food arrangements provided for me."

Here's some of the recent responses:

"A full set dinner ( as the rest of the guests ) will be provided & table "
    "The wedding breakfast is a BBQ which you can help yourself to, as well as the various canapes. The evening food is a cornish pasty."
    "Main part of the wedding breakfast meal. "

Sometime, I even get to find out exactly what I'll be enjoying:

"Steak Pie, Creamy mashed potatoes, fresh vegetables with gravy
    Chocolate brownie/
    Cheesecake.
    feel free to help yourself to the evening hog roast and anything else available. "

or

"Starter: Leek and Potato Soup
    Main: Breast of Duck
    Dessert: Orange and Chocolate Torte "

So it's definitely been a big help for me. I couldn't imagine now turning up to an all day event not knowing exactly what food is available. It's too long a day to be forgotten about, and for many o the venues I work at, there's nowhere nearby that I can easily get to, and as many venues are exclusive for the wedding, there aren't any food options available at the venue.

Plus it's nice to sit down and spend some time chatting with the photographers etc during the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Plus it's nice to sit down and spend some time chatting with the photographers etc during the meal.
    You've obviously not worked with some of the togs I have!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Part of my healthy living kick since the start of year is having fuel shakes (amazon knock off huel basically). It's so bloody convenient and after a couple of days you get over the whole not having "food" for a meal. I tend to work all day but not stuck at one venue but it's miles better than getting crappy meal deals from garages etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You've obviously not worked with some of the togs I have!
    Worth bearing with though, most of my referrals from non venue people are togs. Play the long game Stanley
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

One of my favourite starters I've had
    Name:  Warbrook starter.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  32.4 KB

A typical main meal I get
    Name:  Main.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  52.7 KB

And this was amazing
    Name:  Main1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  68.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Part of my healthy living kick since the start of year is having fuel shakes (amazon knock off huel basically). It's so bloody convenient and after a couple of days you get over the whole not having "food" for a meal. I tend to work all day but not stuck at one venue but it's miles better than getting crappy meal deals from garages etc.
    Neil - this is something I've been looking at but the price of Huel is shocking. Which brand are you using, do they do any sample packs (I don't want to shell out £30+ for something I'm not going to like the taste of). And do they really make you feel like you've had a meal? (because the crap I'm eating at the moment leaves me more hungry than when I started)