Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings - getting back in the game.

Default Greetings - getting back in the game.

Good afternoon all

I am returning to the Mobile Disco fold after a long break. Me and a college friend used to offer discos between 01 and 05, using some very outdated and cheap equipment (our speakers were literally large house speakers) but we always had a full dance floor and got bookings. Charging pennies probably helped get them I do admit. Can't remember the name of the lighting effects but they resemble the NJD Blitzer light - we had 2 of these plus a mini strobe and a rope light.

I tried to get back into it in 2008/9, bought some higher end gear but starting a family and losing hours at work when the recession hit meant I couldn't invest and gave up rather than offer a substandard service.

Fast forward to 2022 and I am back again, hoping to make a better fist of it - I had planned on this 12 months ago but issues with my kids being bullied and moved out of school for a spell scuppered it.

My equipment this time around is as follows;

Gorilla DBS Pro Booth and Overhead Lighting Kit
    Alto TS315 Speakers + stands
    Fujitsu Lifebook Laptop x 2 (1 spare)
    2 x wireless mics
    NuMark Mixtrack Pro (looking to upgrade to a bigger one if venture is a success to advice on this greatly appreciated)
    2 x Equinox Onyx
    2 x Equinox Boogie Lights
    2 x Novopro Laser Par 3R
    2 x QTX GoboPar 35
    ADJ Boombox FX 2
    Equinox Domin8r 2
    2 x Unbranded Jelly Balls from Amazon to sit under booth
    2 x moving head gobo lights

Any advice on the above, what you think is good and what you think is less than good is greatly appreciated. I am relearning it all again. Did a couple of family parties recently, and on the first one I froze when it came to speaking on the mic again, but nailed the second one. Now off to promote the product and hopefully earn some money, but above all enjoy the ride.

Hello Mark, and

Re gaining business going forward, I'm not the font of all knowledge. All I can suggest is to build up a good relationship with the multi ops and successful DJs in your area. Prove that you're reliable, and doors may open.

Re kit, you seem a bit heavy on lights, but if it allows choice of what you use, that's a good thing. Resist the urge to use it all at every gig, and on sound to light. Less is often more.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Excellent first post, and in the right section, too... you'll fit right in here!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

Excellent first post, and in the right section, too... you'll fit right in here!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hello Mark, and

Re gaining business going forward, I'm not the font of all knowledge. All I can suggest is to build up a good relationship with the multi ops and successful DJs in your area. Prove that you're reliable, and doors may open.

Re kit, you seem a bit heavy on lights, but if it allows choice of what you use, that's a good thing. Resist the urge to use it all at every gig, and on sound to light. Less is often more.
    Thank you for the response, and yes I do have a few lights but I won't be using them all together, the wouldn't fit for one, and also I'd need so many free sockets. I did a small get together last weekend and my boombox and 2 novopro lights did the job lovely. But it's nice to have variety and backups.

Thinking of getting a couple of spare speakers for obvious reasons too. Probably smaller ones that I will use for the ser gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

Many thanks for the welcome.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 09-10-2022 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Welcome back to the game.

As said above, introduce yourself to multi ops. get regular work and respect the rules of the game (don't go poaching gigs etc) and you will get more and more work that way.

With regards to setup. investing smart is the best thing to do. Personally i'd buy a proper starcloth to fit your booth. Don't buy one and try make it fit. i'd get rid of most of your lights and buy 4 simple LED Pars such as the ADJ Mega Tri or similar, or if you can stretch to it Stairville Crown FX par 9s. learn DMX and i promise if you do those 4 lights could give a better lightshow than most have. a program like QLC+ is free or soundswitch is cheap enough on a monthly subscription if you want to go that way.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Welcome back to the game.

As said above, introduce yourself to multi ops. get regular work and respect the rules of the game (don't go poaching gigs etc) and you will get more and more work that way.

With regards to setup. investing smart is the best thing to do. Personally i'd buy a proper starcloth to fit your booth. Don't buy one and try make it fit. i'd get rid of most of your lights and buy 4 simple LED Pars such as the ADJ Mega Tri or similar, or if you can stretch to it Stairville Crown FX par 9s. learn DMX and i promise if you do those 4 lights could give a better lightshow than most have. a program like QLC+ is free or soundswitch is cheap enough on a monthly subscription if you want to go that way.
    Re the Pars, I have four more expensive ones, and with even a cheap DMX controller they make a good show. For years I was the world's biggest fan of the Thomann Powerbars, which I have used as a complete lightshow more than once. I only moved on because they're just so big and heavy. I replaced mine with Equinox COB Microbars, which aren't as mighty, but they're half the price, half the size, and a fraction of the weight. Never underestimate wash lights. They're ( in my humble opinion ) indispensable. You only need to add a couple of moonflowers to this to have a great lightshow.

As other esteemed members are/were wont to say, sometimes, " less is more".

Re the Pars, I have four more expensive ones, and with even a cheap DMX controller they make a good show. For years I was the world's biggest fan of the Thomann Powerbars, which I have used as a complete lightshow more than once. I only moved on because they're just so big and heavy. I replaced mine with Equinox COB Microbars, which aren't as mighty, but they're half the price, half the size, and a fraction of the weight. Never underestimate wash lights. They're ( in my humble opinion ) indispensable. You only need to add a couple of moonflowers to this to have a great lightshow.

As other esteemed members are/were wont to say, sometimes, " less is more".
    Or you could be like us amateurs and use a gigbar. Can't go wrong lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Or you could be like us amateurs and use a gigbar. Can't go wrong lol

I have long been a fan of the Gigbar family, ever since using one of the early ones when subbing for a colleague. As you can guess, they offend my religion on one vital point.

They're ing expensive!

I have long been a fan of the Gigbar family, ever since using one of the early ones when subbing for a colleague. As you can guess, they offend my religion on one vital point.

They're ing expensive!
    I've considered the gigbar at times but having repaired a few would steer well clear! Dud. power supplies, LEDs going off ... And the build quality is just shocking for something that's supposed to be a professional product for mobiles. As for the programs. Mmmmmm flashy flashy strobey flashy.

No, if you're thinking of going that way invest in a multihead COB LED wash system instead. Who even wants a cluster laser and puny 'strobes' anyway? Sure you can disable them but why are you paying money for stuff you're not likely to use? Bonkers.

Anyway good luck to the OP & welcome aboard!