Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BPM 2022.....

I went on the Sunday with my wee lad. The size of the show has diminished hugely, I was really disappointed. I got to have a play around with the pioneer XZ and RX3 though, I'm looking to upgrade from the RX2 so it was good to have a fiddle about with the upgrades.

I think this trip will probably be my last venture down to BPM.

Anything else I was impressed with? Loved the look of these in person. Very impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEslqxsP0sA

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I went on the Sunday with my wee lad.
    Whaaaaat? You great Celtic This is hard to believe ( because for those who know Shaun, he's not exactly diminutive. Vertically challenged, yes, but not diminutive)I never saw you!
    The size of the show has diminished hugely, I was really disappointed.
    Actually, I went last year, and I'd say it could actually have been bigger than last year, by a whisker. It's never again going to be the extravaganza it was at the NEC. Expecting it to be the same will undoubtedly lead to disappointment, but for what it is, I think it's worthwhile.

I think this trip will probably be my last venture down to BPM.
    Understandable, quite a few others think that way. Next year might be my last.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Anything else I was impressed with? Loved the look of these in person. Very impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEslqxsP0sA
    That made me go "Ooooo" and do a bit of research on them. On their own, very nice.

Then I saw this video and suddenly felt a bit 'meh' about them. If they look like bit part players behind a couple of Chauvet Gigbars, they've got no chance of standing out in my setup.

I need to have a look and play with them. There is something about them that has piqued my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    That made me go "Ooooo" and do a bit of research on them. On their own, very nice.

Then I saw this video and suddenly felt a bit 'meh' about them. If they look like bit part players behind a couple of Chauvet Gigbars, they've got no chance of standing out in my setup.

I need to have a look and play with them. There is something about them that has piqued my interest.
    It's not like the freedom sticks would fare any better placed at the back of the room 12ft from the dance floor

£1,500 for 4 with wired processor unit and no battery option. I mean, OK, I can see a place for them in big shows and installs, but I can't see them being a hit with mobile DJ's?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    It's not like the freedom sticks would fare any better placed at the back of the room 12ft from the dance floor
    Can you honestly say that - based on that video - you can see them being more impactful anywhere else in that room?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Can you honestly say that - based on that video - you can see them being more impactful anywhere else in that room?
    Maybe, maybe not. But I can't think of a worse place to put them
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

It feels that the development of products has become a bit stale. There have not really been any major developments in the last few years.

In addition, I've noticed more DJs operating a slimmer setup.

And then there's the cost of living crisis: with the uncertainty ahead, more DJs are finally now operating like businesses, and only investing in kit where they can see a clear return on investment.

Beyond the networking/catching up with people, I sadly can't see a huge amount of value to such an event at the moment, especially now it's lost the element that the old show had at the NEC with events and seminars etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It feels that the development of products has become a bit stale. There have not really been any major developments in the last few years.

In addition, I've noticed more DJs operating a slimmer setup.
    To be fair, how many different ways can you make lights flash? Seems to me that the growth/innovation is coming in the control area, particularly wireless. The Chauvet ILS was awesome in this respect. Sceptical souls would say that they seem to bring out a new system weekly!
    Re setups, this forum was at the forefront of the " less is more " policy. I regularly go out with two wash lights, and two effects, and don't feel undergunned.
    And then there's the cost of living crisis: with the uncertainty ahead, more DJs are finally now operating like businesses, and only investing in kit where they can see a clear return on investment.
    Shiny. Must have.
    Beyond the networking/catching up with people, I sadly can't see a huge amount of value to such an event at the moment, especially now it's lost the element that the old show had at the NEC with events and seminars etc.
    I'm led to believe that there were seminars available. There were also speaker demos in a dedicated room. I must say I think it's a bit " rose tinted spectacles " about the NEC events. Yes, it had good points, but rather than looking back nostalgically to something which will never return, why not embrace what we do have, and seek to make it suit us better? ( And yes, despite almost every working DJ I know saying so, it seems Monday/midweek is off the table).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

To be fair with covid and the impact it's on production and such I can see why product development hasn't really been great the past couple of years. Hopefully next year we'll see a raft of "next gen" DJ tools and toys but we shall see.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    To be fair with covid and the impact it's on production and such I can see why product development hasn't really been great the past couple of years. Hopefully next year we'll see a raft of "next gen" DJ tools and toys but we shall see.
    I would like to see:

More all in one lighting products - but with proper spec light output. There's a few around that on the surface look good, but simply have underpowered led lights.

More compact DJ booths. This has become the biggest piece of kit I carry now - and I really don't need anything that is as large, particularly in the way it packs down (or rather doesn't pack down!)