Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I begin?

Default Where do I begin?

I have a regular client wanting karaoke. Really just looking for any help with sourcing what I'll need to provide this.

A relatively inexpensive mixer, something that has some sort of limiter / feedback reducer?
    A source for karaoke files. Maybe subscription based streaming might be an option?
    Sound card suggestions?
    Microphone suggestions?

As a complete luddite when it comes to karaoke (and even working with a laptop at gigs) any help and assistance would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I have a regular client wanting karaoke. Really just looking for any help with sourcing what I'll need to provide this.

A relatively inexpensive mixer, something that has some sort of limiter / feedback reducer?
    A source for karaoke files. Maybe subscription based streaming might be an option?
    Sound card suggestions?
    Microphone suggestions?

As a complete luddite when it comes to karaoke (and even working with a laptop at gigs) any help and assistance would be appreciated.
    Please bear with a befuddled Old GFit, but rather than starting from scratch yourself, might it not make sense to sub this part of the process out to someone? Karaoke always goes better with two people.

I must point out that the initial outlay could be considerable. £250 for a sensible mixer, £300 for VDJ ( although cheaper options exist ) £300 for a cheap controller ( or did you ever get an MC6000)? £200 for a pair of decent radio mics, £300 for cheaper quartet radio mics, and a lot of money for Karaoke collections.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Cheapest option for something that will 'do the job', and be perfectly adequate :

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/citronic-cs...RoCZGkQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TONOR-Micro...ps%2C74&sr=8-7

https://www.karafun.co.uk/subscribe.html

That is assuming you have a laptop. You will also need a TV screen for the words - any second hand Cheapo and a stand will do, you don't need anything fancy,

There are better alternatives to everything, depends what you want to spend but for the cost the above would be ok to start then make a decent backup.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Blimey Chris, there's basic, and then there's Basic!

Still think I'd either sub the karaoke bit out, or at least shadow an established operator first.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Still think I'd either sub the karaoke bit out, or at least shadow an established operator first.
    And that's where you come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Blimey Chris, there's basic, and then there's Basic!

What more do you need ?
    Thing with karaoke is often operators over complicate things, yeah there are maybe some bigger professional nights, but (not being cheeky) they’d hire a professional host

For general karaoke it’ll do the job, I actually used similar for quite a number of years before stopping doing it.

What mixer/controller do you currently use?

My Denon MC6000mk2 has 2 mic inputs - so would work best with just 1 wireless mic, leaving me to have the "main mic". The controller has built in reverb too.

There are some wireless units that will output up to 4 mics on one channel output, which would work fine.

As a cheap and cheerful starting point - https://www.djkit.com/q-audio/qwm-11...ne-system.html

Add on the Karaoke "content unlimited" option on Virtual DJ and you're away - only screens left to worried about.

So could be done as a very low-cost add on if something only being done very infrequently.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

As a cheap and cheerful starting point - https://www.djkit.com/q-audio/qwm-11...ne-system.html
    Bit of a bargain they are

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Bit of a bargain they are
    I bought a Thomann special a few years ago - it was €48 for a wireless mic. My main, expensive wireless mic is rackmounted, and comes with me to weddings etc when speeches are required, or any other planned event. The Thomann one, the receiver sits under the MC2000mk2 and is there more as a backup or if someone suddenly needs to do an announcement etc. And I *love* it. The mic capsule on it surpassed any expectations I had. I actually really enjoy using it, and it works great for making announcements in front of the booth.

So yeah, those cheap and cheerful bits of kit can sometimes be a good surprise!

Ah, they still sell it! I recommend this as a cheap backup/something small that's easy to carry around... https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.bone...ne_c_vocal.htm

Cheers for all the replies guys. Very helpful.

I'll reply in a bit more detail to all later.