Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do I begin?

Sorry for the late reply.

This add-on is for a regular gig at a regular venue. They've asked me to source information on what is needed to provide a few karaoke songs (one or two just spattered throughout the night) between my set. It's not really a situation I could sub out, as it's a may or may not happen during any given night, just something to have on hand really.

I currently use RX2's, so my thinking is if I got a FOH mixer I could just hook it into the RX2's and PA system. The venue owner (hirer) plays a bit music and he had a spare Mackie DFX-12 mixer to donate to the karaoke cause, so mixer sorted. As a stop gap I'll just use my own radio mics till I come across a decent set for karaoke second hand. For the music I've opted for a subscription based streaming service. We have great wifi in the venue and during testing it had pretty much all I searched for. So we're ready to roll at this point (almost) for around a cost of approx 30 quid P/M for the subscription service.

The main issue during testing is feedback from the mics. The layout in the venue isn't the best, and the speakers are not far enough away from the performers and their screens (which are fitted on the walls already of the venue). Anyone have any experience of feedback destroyers (behringer), do they work quite well?

As always, thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    The layout in the venue isn't the best, and the speakers are not far enough away from the performers and their screens (which are fitted on the walls already of the venue). Anyone have any experience of feedback destroyers (behringer), do they work quite well?
    Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but feedback is all based on frequencies.

If it's a high-pitched squeal, turn down the high frequencies - if it's a low rumble, turn down the bass. For something more advanced to really get on top of it, a multiband EQ gives you a lot more control over the specific frequencies.

Sadly, the Behringer feedback destroyer unit isn't quite the magic wand you'd hope it is.

Having the right mic helps too - a dynamic mic is important in this situation, over a condenser mic. Along with the correct placement of the mic (close to the mouth)

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Along with the correct placement of the mic (close to the mouth)

Singer/speaker/numpty holds mic around groin level,or stick hand over grille like a rap star. Mic isn't loud enough to hear themselves, forcing DJ to turn it up into the danger zone. Never mind the fact that they've seen you use it loud and clear because you put it near your mouth.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but feedback is all based on frequencies.

If it's a high-pitched squeal, turn down the high frequencies - if it's a low rumble, turn down the bass. For something more advanced to really get on top of it, a multiband EQ gives you a lot more control over the specific frequencies.

Sadly, the Behringer feedback destroyer unit isn't quite the magic wand you'd hope it is.

Having the right mic helps too - a dynamic mic is important in this situation, over a condenser mic. Along with the correct placement of the mic (close to the mouth)
    Yep, the wireless I have is a dynamic. I've pretty much tweaked the the high frequency eq right down to minimum but it just sounds terrible. Managed to pick up a feedback destroyer for 40 quid on ebay. Worth a punt. I'll let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Singer/speaker/numpty holds mic around groin level,or stick hand over grille like a rap star. Mic isn't loud enough to hear themselves, forcing DJ to turn it up into the danger zone. Never mind the fact that they've seen you use it loud and clear because you put it near your mouth.
    Gaffa tape the mic around their head. Could be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Gaffa tape the mic around their head. Could be a solution.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=bad+ka...DAF1=1&PC=ASTS

Zog