Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for my beloved Chauvet Intimidators

Default Replacement for my beloved Chauvet Intimidators

Well...they've been with me for a good few years now (8 to be precise!), and I've noticed recently that they're losing a LOT of their brightness. They're struggling now to cut through the wash lights which means they're on the way out

My Intimidator 305 barrels have been to more parties and weddings than I care to remember, and they've worked without fault each and every time. BUT...it's time to look to replace them.

I've not been keeping up with kit recently and local "show nights" keep getting cancelled, so no idea what's on the market at the moment.

What I DO know though is that I'm not interested in the Helix (or equivalent) gobo spewers, and I absolutely don't want moving heads (unless they can be mounted vertically to a pole which most I've seen won't do). I'm looking for something at LEAST 80w a side (preferably more), something where I can put in custom Gobos (such as hearts, snow and stars) and preferably available in white (although that's not a showstopper as modern vinyl is awesome at recovering fixtures). Whether they're a barrel or a scanner...I'm not too fussed so long as there's a prism mode.

So gents.....what's out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Well...they've been with me for a good few years now (8 to be precise!), and I've noticed recently that they're losing a LOT of their brightness. They're struggling now to cut through the wash lights which means they're on the way out

My Intimidator 305 barrels have been to more parties and weddings than I care to remember, and they've worked without fault each and every time. BUT...it's time to look to replace them.

I've not been keeping up with kit recently and local "show nights" keep getting cancelled, so no idea what's on the market at the moment.

What I DO know though is that I'm not interested in the Helix (or equivalent) gobo spewers, and I absolutely don't want moving heads (unless they can be mounted vertically to a pole which most I've seen won't do). I'm looking for something at LEAST 80w a side (preferably more), something where I can put in custom Gobos (such as hearts, snow and stars) and preferably available in white (although that's not a showstopper as modern vinyl is awesome at recovering fixtures). Whether they're a barrel or a scanner...I'm not too fussed so long as there's a prism mode.

So gents.....what's out there?
    The short answer is... Nothing new. All of the development recently has been in moving heads and moonflower style effects.

When I looked at barrels a few years ago I got the list down to a pair of Showtec Shark Barrel One's or Chauvet Intimidators.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I have a friend who is selling some intimidator barrels if you are just looking to replace, don't think his have been used much iirc
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Not asking for much, are you sonny? Only the Moon on a string!

I reckon Julian got it spot on when he said Shark or intimidator.

New/newish lights? Only the immensely disappointing Chauvet Gobozap.

Other suggestions? Well they fail on so many of your requirements, but Chauvet Swarm Wash, or Crossfire XP. I still wouldn't discount Helix/Obsession myself.

There is one totally leftfield option, which again is almost certainly disqualified on many grounds, but out of curiosity check the QTX Mesmerizer. It is totally awesome, but perhaps overpriced, and not suitable for you.

Sorry I can't help further, basically cos you're searching for The Holy Grail. In my quick search, I did spot some amazing and amazingly cheap and cheerful ones though, which would have been ideal for quick set up pub gigs and similar.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Sounds like sir would like a pair of moving heads without having a pair of moving heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Sounds like sir would like a pair of moving heads without having a pair of moving heads.
    That was basically what I was looking for when I last bought a barrel.

I ended up with a pair of ADJ Innoroll HPs (80w led) as a pair be ame available 2nd hand for a bargain price. These fit a lot of your needs, but these fall short of some of your requirements. They're an 80w led barrel scanner with separate colour and gobo wheels with rotating gobos. Gobos can be changed, but that requires screwdrivers and pliers as well as invalidating the warranty, and there's no prism either.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

No, what Wayne has cannot be achieved with a moving head.

As a previous owner of them, they are by far the best lights I have seen for room coverage.

The only replacement option is, another pair. Which is likely a second hand job now.

Wayne, have you contacted Chauvet to see if they can offer a replacement LED for them?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    But based on the list if features that he is looking for:

- 80w fixtures
    - Changeable gobos
    - Prism feature

That's a moving head.

- Prism feature

That's a moving head.
    Barrel with a prism? That's basically a Wizard?

To be honest, most people I know have gravitated towards the new moonflowers as they give a similar brightness and spread to barrel fixtures in a package with a similar size/weight (unlike a Wizard). The thing that I still find underwhelming about them is the movement.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

As a previous owner of them, they are by far the best lights I have seen for room coverage.

The only replacement option is, another pair. Which is likely a second hand job now.

Wayne, have you contacted Chauvet to see if they can offer a replacement LED for them?
    Not necessarily, unless he's in a rush.

The Scan 360 is available from some dealers, and his local dealer has B Stock in sub £400 each.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk