Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: How do you restrain your kit?

Default How do you restrain your kit?

Following on from this...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I just picked up a vivaro. Same van, different badge as we've already discussed. Why didn't they keep the lashing points on the walls like the 2012 Vivaro?? And what's with the mirrors!
    I'm curious, how do people restrain their kit in vans? In the old Vivaro I had a range of lashing points all over the walls and floor so the booth frame had a permanent home over one of the wherl arches (restrained by ratchet strap) and I had the option of transporting various other large bits of kit vertically using restraints against the walls or the bulkhead, or just stopping kit from moving by lashing it to the walls.

I've been looking at adding lashing loops and the track based systems used in trucks but just curious what other people do?

I'm especially interested in what people do with transits as they don't seem to have ANY factory fitted restraint points (and the last one I borrowed also had a composite floor tray that was like a skid pan!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

A smaller van.

My kit fitted in perfectly in that there was no movement possible because of the size of van.

I had about the smallest van possible - a Citroen Nemo, and it was perfect for a mobile disco. Never needed to lash anything down as it just all kept itself in place.

My son's last two transit Customs ( I realise there are differences between the real Transit and the Custom in many ways ) both had lashing points fitted as standard.

My method is simple, and probably less than optimal. Deckstand on long edge against bulkhead, speakers next, playout cases on floor round them. Lights sit on cases or floor as possible. Gravity plates are flat on floor at rear, probably not the ideal place, but there's likely to be a cable bag on them, and a Rock'n'Roller beside them upside down.

When I had castor equipped kit, I used some of these rivetted to the side of the van. These are not expensive, and this sort of thing is the doggy's dangly bits. Just be careful you're not drilling through the floor into a cable loom, or fuel tank, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    A smaller van.
    Wash your mouth out with soap!
    I still miss Thunderbird 2 / Incredible Hulk when I have to fit the 18" subs in an SWB Transit.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

A smaller van.

My kit fitted in perfectly in that there was no movement possible because of the size of van.

I had about the smallest van possible - a Citroen Nemo, and it was perfect for a mobile disco. Never needed to lash anything down as it just all kept itself in place.
    It's a good theory as long as the kit you carry doesn't vary much. I sometimes take a booth, decks, 2 speakers and 4 lights, on other days I have 6 giant letters, a full disco and 2 Photobooths On some weekends I could camp in the back alongside the kit, others I'd be lucky to squeeze in an extra reel of gaffer tape.

I think I could get away with adding 6 lashing rings mid-height in the van, either side of each of the 3 doors. Basically what I had in the old van They ought to be trivial to fit on either rivnuts or screws/rivets.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    It's a good theory as long as the kit you carry doesn't vary much.
    The only variation for me was extra speakers when doing all day.

Other than that, it's one setup for all events. Made life so much easier, and I get the best ROI for my kit, because it's at every event.

Dancefloors/love letters etc were subcontracted to a third party. I never had the desire to own/maintain or cart about a dancefloor. Made more sense just to make some profit from the markup from the company I'd hire from.

A smaller van.

To be serious, and fair, I have just loaded the van this morning, and although there is extra space available still, I do in fact follow that principle as much as possible.

Dancefloors/love letters etc were subcontracted to a third party. I never had the desire to own/maintain or cart about a dancefloor. Made more sense just to make some profit from the markup from the company I'd hire from.
    Make a note in the diary folks. Gavin and I are on the same page. Apart from Karaoke, my only add on bit the dust years ago, when I sold the uplighters. I'm a DJ/Entertainer, not a purveyor of floors, candy carts, post boxes, light up letters........................................... ...

The only stuff in my van is for my use. ( And just as an aside, when you're hiring out stuff for others to use, if you've got a big enough van, you can fall foul of various regulations, especially tachographs).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Maybe I have just been lucky, but my gear loads in a way where everything is nicely packed in and it's been that way for a long time now. The fact that almost everything is flightcased certainly helps add to the bulk, meaning that I've not had to tie anything down.

After my accident in December, I opened the rear doors to find everything in it's place. I dare say that my kit probably did have a bit of a jump when wotsits went down, but no damage was found and everything was where I left it. The only thing that did move significantly was a can of Pepsi Max - it leapt out of the cupholder, flipped over onto it's head and landed back into said cupholder. I couldn't recreate that if I tried.

Mine is all in flightcases and most have very grippy bases too so it's unlikely to move.

There is some stuff like the letters you do need to secure though. I think fitting rachet points is the best move but crazy they're aren't fitted as standard.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk