Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: clipping and distortion

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I’m using the prosound ones that they sold us from maplin
    I've heard many a time of the mystical 'DJ With Maplin Gear', but I don't think that I've ever seen one out in the wild before.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I've heard many a time of the mystical 'DJ With Maplin Gear', but I don't think that I've ever seen one out in the wild before.
    That was me. 15 years ago. With exactly the kit he's got.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    That was me. 15 years ago. With exactly the kit he's got.

Julian
    Ah yes, the MMX-410 mixer. It was mandatory with them to spend the first fifteen minutes of the gig machine gunning the audience, with a mortar or two thrown in for good measure.
    Never mind the Legendary Prosound amps, I ran for many years with Tandy copies of a Gemini amp. Top cooled, a colleague cooked one of mine by stacking kit on top of it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well I must be the first one 臘♂️若

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ah yes, the MMX-410 mixer. It was mandatory with them to spend the first fifteen minutes of the gig machine gunning the audience, with a mortar or two thrown in for good measure.

Weirdly enough I saw someone advertising one on Facebook the other day as brand new, in box etc.

Looked online to see if they were still being made/sold by shops but no results.

Must of been sat in storage for some time!
    Nathan.

Well I must be the first one 臘♂️若
    On a serious note what system would you recommend for a budget of around £400 for amp and mixer

On a serious note what system would you recommend for a budget of around £400 for amp and mixer
    Slightly surprisingly, I could do that with a few sensible choices. More later. There's a Marmite recommendation for £39 over budget at first glance, but perhaps the best option might be the Karaoke Jock's weapon of choice, a Dynacord Powermate if you could find a nice one s/h.

Initial searches show they're not plentiful, and not around £400. One in Liverpool at £650 s/h. That could push you towards my Marmite choice. I'll hold that one back for now, until we see other suggestions, come on lads and lasses.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'd suggest that you don't need to contemplate parting with any pocket money right now. Job one is determining if what you have is fit for purpose, or is it a system stopping you doing from what you need it to. The troubleshooting suggestions already mentioned will certainly go a long way to help come to the right conclusion. Visual aids would also help us be able to walk you through as best we can while not being in the same postcode.

One thing at a time is the best approach.

At that budget, you're starting to replace the same with the same.

It depends what you're set up is (it sounds like this is an installed set up you're using?).

But for sound, the best thing you can do is invest the right money, as it will pay off long term. There are no simple upgrades to Sound - hence why needing to invest to get it right.

I'd suggest that you don't need to contemplate parting with any pocket money right now. Job one is determining if what you have is fit for purpose, or is it a system stopping you doing from what you need it to. The troubleshooting suggestions already mentioned will certainly go a long way to help come to the right conclusion. Visual aids would also help us be able to walk you through as best we can while not being in the same postcode.

One thing at a time is the best approach.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    At that budget, you're starting to replace the same with the same.

It depends what you're set up is (it sounds like this is an installed set up you're using?).

But for sound, the best thing you can do is invest the right money, as it will pay off long term. There are no simple upgrades to Sound - hence why needing to invest to get it right.
    I'd say we're climbing slightly up the quality ladder, but we could be rocketing up in the suitability stakes. If we're going from a five channel rotary mixer to a twelve or so with faders, that's likely to be a step up in that area.