Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: clipping and distortion

Default clipping and distortion

hi im looking for some help and advice ive been doing the karaoke and disco in my local pub but im not sure if ive got the system set up correctly its a prosound 1600 amp amd alto mixer i seem to get lots of clipping and the meters on the amp go crazy i how do i set the amp up volume wise to accommodate the mixer levels the singing from the mics is awful its all distorted any help appreciated

My approach has always been to start from the speakers and work backwards.

I start with the Amps on 0db. Sometimes this can be "max", but depends on the amp.

Then I'll head back to the mixer, and set the levels on mics, so that they peak no louder than 0db, and then adjust the master output as needed for the right volume.

Typically, that should work nicely.

If it'd distorting, it's likely you need to turn things down on the mixer, and turn up the amp.

Gavin is correct with his advice. Microphones are dangerous things for turning everything red when " enthusiastic " singers give the full Boanerges*. The big problem is that you get someone singing softly, and holding the mic away from the body, so you keep creeping up the gain on the mic. Then the next one swallows the damn thing, and screams into it, lighting the mixer up like a christmas tree.

It's often better to drop the music, rather than lift the mic on quiet singers. Don't forget, Billy Ocean's advice to all sound engineers.

Red light spells danger.

* Google it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    My approach has always been to start from the speakers and work backwards.

I start with the Amps on 0db. Sometimes this can be "max", but depends on the amp.

Then I'll head back to the mixer, and set the levels on mics, so that they peak no louder than 0db, and then adjust the master output as needed for the right volume.

Typically, that should work nicely.

If it'd distorting, it's likely you need to turn things down on the mixer, and turn up the amp.
    Hi thanks for your help il give it a go next time I’m in the pub hopefully this works I know it’s not the best system but for what we need it does the job hopefully I can get it to sound a bit better I use Chord microphones are these ok or would you suggest a different type

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hi thanks for your help il give it a go next time I’m in the pub hopefully this works I know it’s not the best system but for what we need it does the job hopefully I can get it to sound a bit better I use Chord microphones are these ok or would you suggest a different type
    I think most would agree that budget mics are best for karaoke, as most punters don't give much respect to the microphone. You almost need to treat them as disposable items, so it's not the end of the world when one gets dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I think most would agree that budget mics are best for karaoke, as most punters don't give much respect to the microphone. You almost need to treat them as disposable items, so it's not the end of the world when one gets dropped.
    I have the receiver plugged into the mixer with a phono plug on channel 1 with the laptop plugged into it with same type phono plug is that correct I do get sound from them both but as I’ve said terrible it is I must have the gains too high and the amp too low il have to swap them over to amp high and mixer low maybe that will help

Wait... If the meters on the amp are going crazy and you're seeing clip lights on the amp, then you're driving the amp to the max and nothing you can do to the rest of the signal path is going to fix that.

If it's not going as loud as you want, then either the amp is underpowered for what you want or your speakers may be poorly matched to the amp.

What speakers do you have connected to the amp?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Wait... If the meters on the amp are going crazy and you're seeing clip lights on the amp, then you're driving the amp to the max and nothing you can do to the rest of the signal path is going to fix that.

If it's not going as loud as you want, then either the amp is underpowered for what you want or your speakers may be poorly matched to the amp.

What speakers do you have connected to the amp?

Julian
    Hi thanks for your reply I’m using the prosound ones that they sold us from maplin they are very big like mounted on the walls it’s very loud but i only have the amp turned up to like -3 I think then use the mixer to make the volume up that’s how I’ve been using it I’m not sure what to do to be honest

I've owned a Chord quad pack, and they're acceptable. Not the best, not the worst. Now definitely turn the amp up to near maximum, and feed it with the mixer not turning red. That will make a huge difference.

Any chance of a picture of the mixer and connections? At least the model would help. Alto are not the worst, and also not the best.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've owned a Chord quad pack, and they're acceptable. Not the best, not the worst. Now definitely turn the amp up to near maximum, and feed it with the mixer not turning red. That will make a huge difference.

Any chance of a picture of the mixer and connections? At least the model would help. Alto are not the worst, and also not the best.
    Hi thanks for your help il get a picture of the set up and put it on the forum asap thanks again for your time to reply to me much appreciated