Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: clipping and distortion

Default Pictures

Hi I’ve uploaded some pictures of the set up hopefully you can help with the setup thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hi I’ve uploaded some pictures of the set up hopefully you can help with the setup thanks in advance
    Ok, you're going to need some different cables.

1. Change the connection to the amp to use the main mix out, not the aux out. This is going to be causing all sorts of level weirdness and means you must be controlling the mix using the aux send levels.

2. Switch the audio feed from the mono mic 2 channel into a stereo channel (channel 3/4 or channel 5/6). Set the gain control to 12 o'clock position.

3. Turn down the outputs on the mic receiver (probably to 12 o'clock position, possibly lower, depending on the receiver output levels). Then talk into the mic and adjust the gain on the mic 1 channel until you see the peak light and then turn it back down until you don't see the peak light any more.

Then you'll have a properly connected mixer with the levels set somewhere close to correct and you should be able to adjust the levels on each channel, the main mix out level and the amp levels until you get the mix and volume you want.

Hope this helps a little?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

So it's as I expected. You're going to be driving the amp inputs really hard to get any volume out of it.

Turn those dials all the way round to 0db on the amp.

You'll then be able to pull back on everything else, especially the mic receiver output - bring that back to 12 o clock. And you'll also be able to turn down to the gain on the input. Be aware that the output will be much louder on the amp, so bring those gains right back on the mixer and start from there.

Julian offers some sensible solutions above, but the above should at the very least provide an immediate fix.

You should then be able to send a much lower signal to the amp, and let the amp do the work of amplifying that signal.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Ok, you're going to need some different cables.

1. Change the connection to the amp to use the main mix out, not the aux out. This is going to be causing all sorts of level weirdness and means you must be controlling the mix using the aux send levels.

2. Switch the audio feed from the mono mic 2 channel into a stereo channel (channel 3/4 or channel 5/6). Set the gain control to 12 o'clock position.

3. Turn down the outputs on the mic receiver (probably to 12 o'clock position, possibly lower, depending on the receiver output levels). Then talk into the mic and adjust the gain on the mic 1 channel until you see the peak light and then turn it back down until you don't see the peak light any more.

Then you'll have a properly connected mixer with the levels set somewhere close to correct and you should be able to adjust the levels on each channel, the main mix out level and the amp levels until you get the mix and volume you want.

Hope this helps a little?

Julian
    Hi thanks for your reply do I use a pair of Jack leads into the main mix connectors then run them to the input on the amp also you say use a stereo lead for the mic receiver on ch3/4 is that the same lead as it says mono on one side hopefully il get there in the end I appreciate your help sorry if I seem a bit clueless in this situation
    Last edited by Excalibur; 09-03-2023 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Fixed duplication

Hi thanks for your reply do I use a pair of Jack leads into the main mix connectors then run them to the input on the amp also you say use a stereo lead for the mic receiver on ch3/4 is that the same lead as it says mono on one side hopefully il get there in the end I appreciate your help sorry if I seem a bit clueless in this situation
    Julian and Gavin are on the money. The reason why it says Mono on the line channels is that in common with other kit, if you only have a mono signal, it's usual to feed it to the left channel, and I believe that if there is no connector in the right channel, the left will feed to both. You have stereo, use both connectors, that joiner you have is not helping. Use the main output out, as Julian says.

Turn the amp up, turn the mics down. Gain controls don't want to be almost off, or almost flat out, except for the amp. They want to be in the middle, where you'll get most control of them.

Edit: Also, by using channel 3/4, or 5/6 for the laptop, you'll free up a mic channel. Now use individual XLR leads like this example for each mic into each mic channel, not that awful mixed output, you'll get a better signal. Any questions, ask away.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 09-03-2023 at 07:18 AM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Mics

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Julian and Gavin are on the money. The reason why it says Mono on the line channels is that in common with other kit, if you only have a mono signal, it's usual to feed it to the left channel, and I believe that if there is no connector in the right channel, the left will feed to both. You have stereo, use both connectors, that joiner you have is not helping. Use the main output out, as Julian says.

Turn the amp up, turn the mics down. Gain controls don't want to be almost off, or almost flat out, except for the amp. They want to be in the middle, where you'll get most control of them.

Edit: Also, by using channel 3/4, or 5/6 for the laptop, you'll free up a mic channel. Now use individual XLR leads like this example for each mic into each mic channel, not that awful mixed output, you'll get a better signal. Any questions, ask away.
    Hi thanks again for all your help with this issue can I still use the microphones as wireless if I connect the leads you have sent on a link to me

Hi thanks again for all your help with this issue can I still use the microphones as wireless if I connect the leads you have sent on a link to me
    Hi I think the penny is dropping now so I get a pair of the microphone leads and plug into receiver then into line 1-2 on the mixer that way get better signal from the mics to receiver

Hi I think the penny is dropping now so I get a pair of the microphone leads and plug into receiver then into line 1-2 on the mixer that way get better signal from the mics to receiver
    Yes, the back of that unit has 2 x XLR outputs.

If you buy 2 x xlr female to xlr male cables (microphone cables), you can run them from the mic receiver XLR outputs into the XLR inputs on channels 1 and 2.

Turn the output of the mic receiver down so they are both at 12 noon.

Then on the mixer (with the master output turned down), turn the Channel 1 Level (bottom knob) to 12 o clock.

Then turn the gain right down and shout fairly loudly into the mic. Keep turning it until you see the Peak light (just above the 1) come on. Then back off the gain a bit until the peak light no longer appears. In normal operation, you don't want that peak light coming on. If it does, back off the gain a bit.

Repeat for channel 2 - it'll likely be the same Gain setting.

Then, with the amp turned all the way round to 0db (as far right as possible), start turning the Master up on the mixer. You might not need to turn this very far... but this is where you'll set your desired output. Just make sure the lights on the levels above it on the mixer never go above 0.

And that should give you a decent sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

If you buy 2 x xlr female to xlr male cables (microphone cables), you can run them from the mic receiver XLR outputs into the XLR inputs on channels 1 and 2.

Then on the mixer (with the master output turned down), turn the Channel 1 Level (bottom knob) to 12 o clock.

Then turn the gain right down and shout fairly loudly into the mic. Keep turning it until you see the Peak light (just above the 1) come on. Then back off the gain a bit until the peak light no longer appears. In normal operation, you don't want that peak light coming on. If it does, back off the gain a bit.

Then, with the amp turned all the way round to 0db (as far right as possible), start turning the Master up on the mixer. You might not need to turn this very far... but this is where you'll set your desired output. Just make sure the lights on the levels above it on the mixer never go above 0.

Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Hi thanks I’ve just ordered some leads from Amazon I’ve got the 2 mic leads 2 Jack leads and a Jack to mini Jack lead il give it a go once these arrive see what happens thanks again for all your help and support il let you know how I get on with it all much appreciated