Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chauvet Gigbar Move + ILS

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    In what I am sure is a much anticipated update on this, I bought a second one and used the pair for pretty much every gig since the above post. I also chucked the tripods to one side and invested in gravity stands, as well as wireless uplighters to help make things pop. The Chauvet D-Fi system also helps speed things along.

I've had compliments from clients, guests, venues, photographers and videographers. I've also had criticisms from DJs who use two Helix's/Obsessions and a mirror ball.

Take from that what you want.

(FYI, if you've taken offence to the Helix/Obsession comment, you're exactly who I'm talking about. )
    It is amazing isn't it - I actually ditched the gigbars to go even simpler and now use a chauvet colorband bt which works from my phone/computer/ipad. Below this sits a acme mirrage (which is controlled from and on/off switch) and wireless par cans (which are again controlled with phone/ipad). A LOT are actually going for just par cans and no disco type effects at all.

The result has been great feedback especially from photographers/videographers (unfortunately I think recommendations from these don't hold as much power as in years gone by, but still a bonus)

Now I have to say I ONLY do weddings which may affect things, but certainly the simpler effects seem to win through - so to bring that back to the Gigbar ILS, I think it is overpriced, but a great solution to anyone not interested in spending hours over their lighting rig, UNFORTUNATELY 99% of DJs focus on their lighting and playout system so don't think the Gigbar will ever be a popular choice with DJs
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    It is amazing isn't it - I actually ditched the gigbars to go even simpler and now use a chauvet colorband bt which works from my phone/computer/ipad. Below this sits a acme mirrage (which is controlled from and on/off switch) and wireless par cans (which are again controlled with phone/ipad). A LOT are actually going for just par cans and no disco type effects at all.

The result has been great feedback especially from photographers/videographers (unfortunately I think recommendations from these don't hold as much power as in years gone by, but still a bonus)

Now I have to say I ONLY do weddings which may affect things, but certainly the simpler effects seem to win through - so to bring that back to the Gigbar ILS, I think it is overpriced, but a great solution to anyone not interested in spending hours over their lighting rig, UNFORTUNATELY 99% of DJs focus on their lighting and playout system so don't think the Gigbar will ever be a popular choice with DJs
    Hmmmm, we're not a million miles away from each other here, Chris. My standard white wedding rig is four par cans ( and if I were buying now, there's a white powerbar available for a lot less money and setting up ) and one/two Helix. I can remember looking at my rig many many years ago for a lovely Harrogate venue ( Sub Pavilion, awful access unless they let you in the park ) with two 15" cabs, booth, and a Powerbar. Classy and understated, I thought, and I see little reason to amend that view now.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I know who Benny is talking about with the 2x Helix and a mirrorball comment.

Anyway, back on topic... I folded in the middle of last year and paid out for a pair of white Helix to give me a cheaper/simpler/lighter option for couples with smaller budgets and venues with stairs. That rig consists of 2x Helix XP, 6x battery pars, 2x 12" tops, booth, speaker stands, playout and maybe a set of Freedom sticks and/or a pair of Jellydomes if I'm feeling generous. 15-20mins to get in and running, but still bright and effective. I do have to tame the Helix XP's for first dances as they are just so :censored: bright.

I might go for a gigbar yet...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Sigh...I've bought one.
    So has Mr Jackson. As per usual, he's got every bell and whistle available. I'm going to play with it on Saturday. I suspect he and I will both report our findings in due course.

I've also had criticisms from DJs who use two Helix's/Obsessions and a mirror ball.

Take from that what you want.

(FYI, if you've taken offence to the Helix/Obsession comment, you're exactly who I'm talking about. )
    OK, I'll stick my head above the parapet. It doesn't look classy until you switch it on. I spent years using rigs that looked great in the dark, I've moved on. Dave was showing me his early doors wedding setting, it's the gigbar doing an impersonation of two Helix and a Mirrorball. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hmmmm, we're not a million miles away from each other here, Chris. My standard white wedding rig is four par cans ( and if I were buying now, there's a white powerbar available for a lot less money and setting up ) and one/two Helix. I can remember looking at my rig many many years ago for a lovely Harrogate venue ( Sub Pavilion, awful access unless they let you in the park ) with two 15" cabs, booth, and a Powerbar. Classy and understated, I thought, and I see little reason to amend that view now.
    And in a policy of continual improvement, I am indeed re-inventing the wheel. My Colorbands have seen very little action this year ( due to there being next to no work at the venue they were mainly bought for ), the large light rig with t-bars has been out once this year, I think. The COB Microbars have done what I wanted, but they don't lend themselves to adding fixtures above ( or below, really ) as I'd like, and they too can be moved on. There's a Powerbar type effect on the market which will allow me to put Intimidators/Crossfires/Hadrons above easily. That's the sort of area I'm headed for.

And in a policy of continual improvement, I am indeed re-inventing the wheel. My Colorbands have seen very little action this year ( due to there being next to no work at the venue they were mainly bought for ), the large light rig with t-bars has been out once this year, I think. The COB Microbars have done what I wanted, but they don't lend themselves to adding fixtures above ( or below, really ) as I'd like, and they too can be moved on. There's a Powerbar type effect on the market which will allow me to put Intimidators/Crossfires/Hadrons above easily. That's the sort of area I'm headed for.
    Well I have 3 weddings in the next 10 days that only require my 'standard' lighting of 4 par cans and nothing else. Usually great nights when they opt for that for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Well I have 3 weddings in the next 10 days that only require my 'standard' lighting of 4 par cans and nothing else. Usually great nights when they opt for that for some reason.
    Basically a par bar then? Or do you put the 4 pars somewhere other than on a bar?

Side note : I've had a few gigs with a few uplighters and nothing else (mostly Karaoke where shining a ton of flashing light into people's faces while they're trying to watch people sing just doesn't make sense).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Basically a par bar then? Or do you put the 4 pars somewhere other than on a bar?

Side note : I've had a few gigs with a few uplighters and nothing else (mostly Karaoke where shining a ton of flashing light into people's faces while they're trying to watch people sing just doesn't make sense).

Julian
    Sorry, 4 par cans uplighting

Default ILS - DMX for people who don't want to spend hours DMXing

Let me start by saying the Gigbar ILS is not cheap, especially when you decide not only to buy the bar but to add a couple of Pars and a 4 par bar and the 'command controller'.
    Then you buy the DI FI USB's to make the whole thing complete.

The good - Each unit is easy to control. The bar has a laser which is not powerful but looks quite good in a smallish function room. 2 Derbys, 4 white Strobes, two moving heads and two pars.
    It comes in a nice padded case or upgrade to a proper touring case which is big but a little more practical.

The Di-fi units pop into the USB slot and once ILS chanel saved and unit set to Slave you can use the Command unit which gives you more control than the supplied remote.
    The bar is not light but not too heavy. You can program the controller to do certain things with a push of a button and also pr program one of the heads to start at one spot and finish at another IE B&G entrance to the floor.

BAD - Price All additional ILS units are more expensive than std units, Sound to light needs looking at and the Strobes are not powerful enough.

AT the end of the day I could have cut costs by buying a similar bar and adding DMX, but this works straight from the box and I love it.

I used Dave's Gigbar rig recently, and he's quite right that it's very easy to make it light up, especially with the control panel. You're not checking that everything is on the correct fader on the correct fixture.
    While I appreciate that on its own, it's a one unit solution for small gigs/rapid setup ones, I feel its strength is in controlling more powerful peripherals. I was blown away at one DJ show by about a dozen fixtures all changing colour simultaneously, without any DMX cables.

Until they made this one with moving heads on board, I could achieve everything a Gigbar could with my Hadrons.

I feel its strength is in controlling more powerful peripherals. I was blown away at one DJ show by about a dozen fixtures all changing colour simultaneously, without any DMX cables.

Until they made this one with moving heads on board, I could achieve everything a Gigbar could with my Hadrons.
    Agreed - The more units you have the better it looks! If the extra Moving heads were not £1000 a pair I would deff have some, My regular venue is quite small and has a low roof the bar is perfect on it's own. The controller is a bonus and I hope Chauvet introduce more onto the iLS syatem.