Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 1st returning gig music advice (40th Birthday)

Default 1st returning gig music advice (40th Birthday)

Hi all,

Ive got my first gig after a good few years away from dj'ing this weekend, which is a females 40th Birthday Party.
    As you can imagine, im rather nervous.

Ive been given some ideas of what to play by the client, as it needs to cater for both kids (early doors) and adults alike, which to be honest, has been a great help.
    George Ezra, Sing movie soundtrack, Trolls movie, etc, but steer clear of the ultra cheesy young child stuff like Bob the Builder. For the rest, cheese. Take That, Girls Aloud, Elton John, but with current pop/dance music thrown in the mix too and Some Motown (no Northern Soul).

Now, as its a 5 hour gig, thats quite a lot of music, but also, as far as gigs go, most would probably say its probably an easy night in terms of music. Obviously ive already got ideas, and a fair amount of music to delve into, but with me being absent from mobile discos for a while, im just wondering if anybody can suggest whats been working on the dancefloors regularly in terms of middle/late/end of night, especially with tastes changing year on year.

Is it worth going to the years when the client was most likely out partying growing up? Dance/Pop from the 90's/2000's?

All suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

S.

Two styles I'm getting asked for a lot currently are 90's Dance, and Indie. Worked well at a 50th on Saturday. You will definitely need Sweet Caroline, Proud Mary, Uptown Funk and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Despite what some may say, The Usual Suspects are still popular.

Re current/recent charts, well that's slim pickings.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Two styles I'm getting asked for a lot currently are 90's Dance, and Indie. Worked well at a 50th on Saturday. You will definitely need Sweet Caroline, Proud Mary, Uptown Funk and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Despite what some may say, The Usual Suspects are still popular.

Re current/recent charts, well that's slim pickings.
    Thanks for that.

When you say Indie, i take it that youre referring to the usual suspects (Killers/Kings Of Leon/The Jam etc..)?

90's Dance shouldnt be a problem. Its just a question of do you stay with the favourites Ultra Nate/Livin Joy, or push it with a bit of JX?...

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Thanks for that.

When you say Indie, i take it that youre referring to the usual suspects (Killers/Kings Of Leon/The Jam etc..)?

90's Dance shouldnt be a problem. Its just a question of do you stay with the favourites Ultra Nate/Livin Joy, or push it with a bit of JX?...
    Yes. Re Indie, Oasis appear to be making a comeback request wise. Gerry Cinnamon- Belter is often asked for, Reytons are a good leftfield call.
    Re 90's Dance, you're spoilt for choice. Pretty Green Eyes, Sandstorm, Whistle song, you're spoilt for choice. If I can get Felix- Don't You Want Me, Lil Louis- French Kiss on, and Nightcrawlers- Push The Feeling ( which has had soooo many samples lately ) on, I'm a happy bunny. Your crowd should guide you as to what direction you're headed.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk