Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powered Speakers Reliability.

Default Powered Speakers Reliability.

Powered speakers are popular these days. They are compact and easy(ish) to set up and use, BUT, are they reliable.

Commentators on powered speakers list the following about potential vulnerabilities.

1. Vibration of internal parts such as electronic components that may cause damage and failure, caused by the speaker.

2. Overheating of the internals, as ventilation is poor and most heat generated by the internals can not escape easily, especially with the internal wadding acting like a blanket.

Any thoughts on this please.

Zog.

Once upon a time, I would have shared your misgivings. Nowadays, as long as you avoid certain known problematic models, they're as reliable as the amps that drive passive cabs.
    Thus, I now run actives, not passive.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

My 12 year old active RCFs haven't skipped a beat.

Even the Alto TS212s are still running, despite going through a number of tweeters in their life. The only failure I've had has been the amp module in a FBT J8, but I have 4 of these and only one has had this issue.

I would, however, say that they have their place. For mobile gigs they're an accepted part of normal life, for installs where speakers are often placed in hot dusty corners near the ceiling and aren't often maintained, passive speakers and amp racks are probably the better option.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Even the Alto TS212s are still running, despite going through a number of tweeters in their life.
    Ah yes, but:

The main/usual cause of failure, especially with lower quality cabs, is people buying a box with a sticker on the front saying " 10 Gigawatts of awesome power " or similar, and winding everything up to 11, expecting a pair of 12" cabs to deafen 500 people in an aircraft hangar. More red lights than a house of ill repute, signalling imminent failure.

We both know that used within acceptable parameters cheap speakers can have a long and reliable life, producing perfectly acceptable sounds. At one point in my life, I was usually running with a pair of QTX cabs, which were very acceptable, as long as you didn't max out any dials.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    At one point in my life, I was usually running with a pair of QTX cabs, which were very acceptable, as long as you didn't max out any dials.
    I got through several of those things until enough was enough and they started sounding nasty in a marquee wedding. The 15" subs I had to match were even worse.

I think I'll stick with my drainpipes in a flowerpot look for now - they seem more than capable of anything I throw at them

Used actives for the past ten years and think I had to repair one (mackie).

Love my RCF Evox 8 system, so easy to carry in and gives a nice overal sound.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Used actives for the past ten years and think I had to repair one (mackie).

Love my RCF Evox 8 system, so easy to carry in and gives a nice overall sound.
    Having researched the R.C.F. Evox 8s I am impressed. They pack down well within all bits stowed away in the bass bin section. An excellent design

The amplifier part which will produce heat, is in contact with the room air as it is external to the wooden cabinet, and is thus cooled well. It protrudes out of the bass cab at the back.

I came across the Evox 12 on line. (15 inch driver). The top box stows separately from the bass bin. It looks heavy and cumbersome, but apparently really delivers for a larger venue than normal, and it has built in wheels, and a big price tag.

Zog.
    Last edited by Zog; 01-08-2023 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Having researched the R.C.F. Evox 8s I am impressed. They pack down well within all bits stowed away in the bass bin section. An excellent design

The amplifier part which will produce heat, is in contact with the room air as it is external to the wooden cabinet, and is thus cooled well. It protrudes out of the bass cab at the back.

I came across the Evox 12 on line. (15 inch driver). The top box stows separately from the bass bin. It looks heavy and cumbersome, but apparently really delivers for a larger venue than normal, and it has built in wheels, and a big price tag.

Zog.
    Evox 8 - highly recommended.

Not seen such rave reviews about the Evox 12. If you're needing greater volume than the Evox 8, then it's time to look at a proper sub + top system.

The increase in volume that you get from the Evox 12 over the 8 doesn't really justify the extra weight and how cumbersome it is in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Not seen such rave reviews about the Evox 12. If you're needing greater volume than the Evox 8, then it's time to look at a proper sub + top system.
    Hallelujah Brethren, he has seen the light! A wise man once said " ye cannae change the laws of physics".

To move big amounts of air, you need big drivers. I've lost count of the number of people ( including myself ) who buy Ev50, Polar 10/12, Evox 8, LD 5/11/28 and then decide they aren't loud enough for some functions.

Strike me pink, but when will folk realise that one size does not fit all?

If like Gavin, most of you gigs are the same, then you pick one suitable PA. For the more varied among us, recently, my PA requirements have ranged from one or two Maui 5s or 10" Db Cromos to 18" HK bins under 12" HK tops, and if I'm honest, for some of the ones that have come up recently, I'd have liked a six box rig.

The best advice I could give anyone buying any column system is that there is a ceiling, and it's in the area of 150 people. Under that number, they tick all the boxes, look good, sound good, and transport fairly easily. Over that number regularly, or big venues, it has to be subs and tops.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The best advice I could give anyone buying any column system is that there is a ceiling, and it's in the area of 150 people.
    Context plays a big role in determining whether the column array systems are appropriate - playing to 100 folk in a room with solid walls will more than likely be achieved with these systems, but probably not 50 in a marquee.

Regardless, I'd suggest that 150 guests in any scenario would be pushing these systems too much.