Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powered Speakers Reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Context plays a big role in determining whether the column array systems are appropriate - playing to 100 folk in a room with solid walls will more than likely be achieved with these systems, but probably not 50 in a marquee.

Regardless, I'd suggest that 150 guests in any scenario would be pushing these systems too much.
    In most videos of disco dancers at gigs, they all seem to migrate to the dance floor which in most cases in positioned just in front of the disco speakers, and is limited in size. Surely there is a finite number that can occupy that position. Most of our events are not large festivals. So a modest set up can work well. And some guests like to sit and talk at the back, rather than be deafened at the front by the speakers.

Some D.Js have commented about too loud live bands that cause pain to the ears.

Zog, (running to take cover)

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hallelujah Brethren, he has seen the light!

Strike me pink, but when will folk realise that one size does not fit all?
    I guess it depends on your regular and local venues however I have two PAs. Evox 8 and then a DB sub with FBT 112As for larger events and I think the latter has been used twice in two years.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I guess it depends on your regular and local venues however I have two PAs. Evox 8 and then a DB sub with FBT 112As for larger events and I think the latter has been used twice in two years.
    I'm guessing you don't often cater for 300 Young Farmers in a grain store the size of an aircraft hangar?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm guessing you don't often cater for 300 Young Farmers in a grain store the size of an aircraft hangar?
    I know we've had this conversation before, but I would simply turn away such work.

It's easy to accumulate equipment to deal with every option, but for me, the return on investment is not there.

Having one set of speakers that goes to every function provides the best ROI for me. Of course, others will get an ROI from having larger rigs, as there is clearly a market for those too. Just the extra space to store, transport and extra weight to carry into position doesn't appeal to me.

No I do classy events

Funny enough when I started out I seemed to do more events like that which required much larger PAs. Now it's very rare to do a gig for more than 80 people in a room that's much larger than my living room.

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I know we've had this conversation before, but I would simply turn away such work..
    Have we really? I forget so much nowadays

OK, tablets taken, yes I'm being facetious. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's easy to accumulate equipment to deal with every option, but for me, the return on investment is not there.

Having one set of speakers that goes to every function provides the best ROI for me. Of course, others will get an ROI from having larger rigs, as there is clearly a market for those too. Just the extra space to store, transport and extra weight to carry into position doesn't appeal to me.
    Gavin, you're absolutely correct of course, and a business model like that is hard to fault.
    However:
    In my humble opinion, variety is the spice of life. I did a wedding on Saturday in a village hall where I took probably less kit than Gavin might have, and it was a breath of fresh air, simply because it wasn't an Hotel with the same old drapes/lights/table settings/other ephemera we see regularly. It was decorated by family in a very personal manner, and was a lot of fun. I like different things. I like blank canvas weddings in tents in fields, you get leeway, personality and idiosyncracy.
    On the downside, Gavin is absolutely correct, I run a Transit van, not a sporty SUV, my gear lives in a big shed, not a cupboard under the stairs, and I also appear to have much in common with a black and white bird of the Corvid family.

Do I envy Gavin? Absolutely not, but I certainly admire him. We're all different, and long may it remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    No I do classy events

Funny enough when I started out I seemed to do more events like that which required much larger PAs. Now it's very rare to do a gig for more than 80 people in a room that's much larger than my living room.
    Oh Neil, you mean you no longer get to see tractors being driven through the middle of your marquee at 1.30am? That was fun. I quite like fun.

Aren't the acoustics a bit churchlike?

I have just discovered that "young farmers" do not have to be young or farmers. I learn something every day

But, apparently cows milk better with music in the background

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Aren't the acoustics a bit churchlike?
    Acoustically challenging venues are nothing new. I once set up in an Army gymnasium, with my beloved LD subs and tops. I stood back, and thought " let's see the band beat that"! They turned up with touring grade HK gear. Strangely enough, the extra power seemed to work against them, and it actually sounded worse than my rig.

I have just discovered that "young farmers" do not have to be young or farmers. I learn something every day
    Same with Young Conservatives, we had one or two Communists when I was a YC.

B
    ut, apparently cows milk better with music in the background

Zog.
    But it has to be soothing and relaxing. None of your Anthrax or Slayer! Similar principles are sometimes applied to humans in factories, having music playing to distract them from the daily drudge.

Thumbs down

Acoustically challenging venues are nothing new. I once set up in an Army gymnasium, with my beloved LD subs and tops. I stood back, and thought " let's see the band beat that"! They turned up with touring grade HK gear. Strangely enough, the extra power seemed to work against them, and it actually sounded worse than my rig.

Same with Young Conservatives, we had one or two Communists when I was a YC.

B

But it has to be soothing and relaxing. None of your Anthrax or Slayer! Similar principles are sometimes applied to humans in factories, having music playing to distract them from the daily drudge.
    At a local village hall event in a "hard" room with hard walls and lots of glass the acoustics were very poor. Much reflection and delay from thed back walls. A professional sound engineer was present at the event and he suggested that speakers on poles, should, if possible be angled downwards a little to avoid problems. I suppose if that is possible then it is worth a try, rather than the sound being reflected by the far wall and causing trouble. I have not tried it yet as I do not have adjustable speaker brackets as yet.

I worked in a facory once where the "piped music" ran all day and repeated about three times a day. It drove me l o o p y.

Zog.

I feel like you have a folder on your laptop titled "Songs to milk the cows too"

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk