Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D.J. Ruined My Wedding........................

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Devil's advocate mode engaged> Had they sought their own DJ using low prices as the main criteria, ( because we all know a Disco is a Disco, is a Disco, don't we? ) they probably would have had the same result. < Devil's advocate mode disengaged.
    Got a very nice: "thanks for getting back to me but you're by far the most expensive quote we've had so we'll have to pass." On Facebook this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Got a very nice: "thanks for getting back to me but you're by far the most expensive quote we've had so we'll have to pass." On Facebook this afternoon.
    Obviously Jim, you're " reassuringly expensive ", and they want to live dangerously.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'd guess this is probably one of those budget venues where the DJ is included in the package, and is paid at a Sid rate.

Of course, had they sought out their own DJ then they probably would have had a different outcome...
    Don't knock it, I am one of these DJs included, can guarantee the fee I get for the work involved will put most to shame and the experience couples receive will be far superior to most other local DJ companies.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Don't knock it, I am one of these DJs included, can guarantee the fee I get for the work involved will put most to shame and the experience couples receive will be far superior to most other local DJ companies.
    Do you work in a budget venue, being paid a budget rate?

I'm guessing you've spoken to the couple before the evening, even though you're included in the package. That's the difference.

I've been included in packages too. It's not ideal sometimes, but largely works fine, especially when there's good pre-event communication.

But the budget venues with budget DJs often just rattle through the same old set each week, not even considering what the tastes of each couple would be.

I'd guess this is probably one of those budget venues where the DJ is included in the package, and is paid at a Sid rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    And tomorrow night Matthew, I will be. ( Yeah, I know Chris isn't called Matthew, it's a reference to Stars In Their Eyes )

There are many sweeping generalisations in this game, and one of them is that " all resident DJ's are cheap/rubbish/related to the manager/ or offering inducements to get the work. Nowadays, with the explosion in communication, it's not difficult ( or shouldn't be ) to get an idea of the happy couple's aims and wishes, and do your best to provide them. We're a service industry, is that too difficult a concept for some DJs?

And to back up Chris's claims, I covered one for him, and I was given every bit of information I needed to give the clients what they wanted. ( The lad with the saxophone was brilliant too. He was a very happy little bunny when he turned up late, and I offered him a table, live mixer, and cables ).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Do you work in a budget venue, being paid a budget rate?

I'm guessing you've spoken to the couple before the evening, even though you're included in the package. That's the difference.

I've been included in packages too. It's not ideal sometimes, but largely works fine, especially when there's good pre-event communication.

But the budget venues with budget DJs often just rattle through the same old set each week, not even considering what the tastes of each couple would be.
    I have one very budget venue that does NOT pay me a budget rate, in fact they are less hassle than a couple of high end venues when it comes to increasing fees. I don't actually speak to any couple beforehand (whether a private booking or not) unless they insist, but yeah I do contact them direct to gain info - I am not one of these that just turn up on the night and ask the B&G to bring their first dance on a memory stick lol

In honesty though, these venues are my safety net. If needed they bring in enough income to survive without me needing to look for any more work - in reality it is very rare I actually work at them myself, unless the couple have upgraded. One venue 9/10 upgrade to my all day package, apart from one residency they nearly all choose uplighting to the extent, 3 venues I have par cans permanently stored there - this is where I make a bit money mainly from them.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Really? on facebook of all places?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Really? on facebook of all places?
    Fb is the only avenue where I don't initially respond with a full quote.

"I have packages from £x, if that's within your budget let me know your email address and I'll get a full quote and breakdown of service over asap." Is usually suffice to see the back of 80% of them.