Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.J. Ruined My Wedding........................

Default D.J. Ruined My Wedding........................

So many facetious and whimsical comments spring to mind, but obviously I can't post any of them.

I'd venture to suggest that it's a result of prioritising price over service. If it's even true, as this is a discussion site, I believe.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

That's hard to comment on without being in the room at the time.

What one person might describe as "being at the bar all night" could meean "DJ queued 10mins to get a drink because he allowed the bar to prioritise guests ahead of him". Now if the music stopped while he was at the bar... then that's a different story (I've seen that happen!!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

What one person might describe as "being at the bar all night" could mean "DJ queued 10mins to get a drink because he allowed the bar to prioritise guests ahead of him". Now if the music stopped while he was at the bar.. then that's a different story (I've seen that happen!!)

Julian
    Ah, the smug feeling in the old days, when we learned how to lash a cassette player into the rig for such occasions.

Hard to say without having been there but it's probably a bit of both parties at fault - the DJ doesn't sound particularly professional and the couple could and should have done something about it when it was happening.

I check in with my couples a few times throughout the night to make sure they're having a good time and in our planning meet I always tell them that I'll never be offended if they come to me during the night and tell me they're not enjoying the tunes or need me to change something up, I'd much rather that than them being polite but unhappy with the service.

I remember once getting accused of 'ruining my wedding' by a groom for refusing to play Prince - Purple Rain of all songs after I was already a few minutes past finishing. The night was one that can only be described as 'challenging'

With nobody around I informed him that is that had spoiled his whole wedding day, he must have had a wedding and a bit of an insult to his new wife on her 'terrible' wedding planning.

Dunno why, but that always stays in my head - but is true, no matter how bad a DJ is, even if they don't turn up, in the grand scheme of things this shouldn't totally ruin a wedding - all we really do is play music for a few hours.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'd be more concerned about having friends and family think so little of me that they feel confident enough to criticise an aspect of my wedding day to my face weeks after the fact.

Or - more likely - that bit never happened, and it's just an embellishment to add more weight to his side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

What one person might describe as "being at the bar all night" could meean "DJ queued 10mins to get a drink because he allowed the bar to prioritise guests ahead of him". Now if the music stopped while he was at the bar... then that's a different story (I've seen that happen!!)

Julian
    "All night" really means for a long time in their opinion. It is like many expressions such as "everyone agrees with me" meaning many but not all, in their estimation.

Zog.

I'd guess this is probably one of those budget venues where the DJ is included in the package, and is paid at a Sid rate.

They probably sent over a track listing of songs they wanted - and I've seen such DJs posting on Facebook groups about their residency and how the song list provided was rubbish and they knew better

Depending on what the music tastes of the couple were, even the wedding big hitters could very much be seen as "cheesy".

It also doesn't surprise me about the rude DJ aspect - again I've come across a number of DJs who don't really understand customer service or how to interact.

So totally plausible.

Of course, had they sought out their own DJ then they probably would have had a different outcome...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Of course, had they sought out their own DJ then they probably would have had a different outcome...
    Devil's advocate mode engaged> Had they sought their own DJ using low prices as the main criteria, ( because we all know a Disco is a Disco, is a Disco, don't we? ) they probably would have had the same result. < Devil's advocate mode disengaged.

Too many variables, too little information, and possibly a shortage of indisputable truth. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.