Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are we playing music for? Do we take requests?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I hear what you say/see what you type. You're not wholly wrong, but you're definitely not right. Done correctly, it's one of the most powerful aids we have.

Yes, I'm prepared to turn up at a gig with no advance requests, but a general steer, and a few tracks can really cut down the amount of " ranging " tracks we throw out to test the water, until we get in sync with the guests.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I hear what you say/see what you type. You're not wholly wrong, but you're definitely not right. Done correctly, it's one of the most powerful aids we have.

Yes, I'm prepared to turn up at a gig with no advance requests, but a general steer, and a few tracks can really cut down the amount of " ranging " tracks we throw out to test the water, until we get in sync with the guests.
    As you know, my work is predominantly weddings and when you learn about the couple's taste in music, you indirectly find out what music their social circle likes too. They all go out together to the same places, and house parties tend to have very similar playlists.

Obviously, the proverbial cap is doffed to all genres and decades to make sure everyone hears something that they enjoy, but I've found that the most successful nights are the ones where you build around that core group.

The couple dosn't need to do any extra work because I can find that stuff out by talking to them. I don't see how anyone can get value from any service by paying someone to do it for you, and then taking on some of the work yourself, in much the same way that I wouldn't get value paying an electrician to install a couple of sockets in my living room and then saying "Give us yer screwdriver!"

The couple doesn't need to do any extra work because I can find that stuff out by talking to them. I don't see how anyone can get value from any service by paying someone to do it for you, and then taking on some of the work yourself, in much the same way that I wouldn't get value paying an electrician to install a couple of sockets in my living room and then saying "Give us yer screwdriver!"
    But if he installs the wrong sockets, you'll wish you had taken the screwdriver away from him.

I had a wedding where if I'd played exactly what the couple wanted musically, we'd have had three people in the room for the last three hours. Their guests definitely did not share their love of Delta Blues!

But if he installs the wrong sockets, you'll wish you had taken the screwdriver away from him.
    I would make sure that I hired the correct person who understood my needs. How would I do that? That would be a conversation, not a spreadsheet.

I had a wedding where if I'd played exactly what the couple wanted musically, we'd have had three people in the room for the last three hours. Their guests definitely did not share their love of Delta Blues!
    Which is why I build a night around the core group, but not for the core group. We get paid to shoulder the responsibility so our clients don't have to, and sometimes that means taking ownership of the event. There is a reason why we don't let children teach in schools.

OK, Boys and Girls, and grumpy Old Mods. We're drifting away from the purpose of this section, so can we try to keep posts to gig reports, please? If I can master the technology, the last few posts may magically disappear, and reappear in a shiny new purpose built home. Thank You.

As you know, my work is predominantly weddings and when you learn about the couple's taste in music, you indirectly find out what music their social circle likes too. They all go out together to the same places, and house parties tend to have very similar playlists.

Obviously, the proverbial cap is doffed to all genres and decades to make sure everyone hears something that they enjoy, but I've found that the most successful nights are the ones where you build around that core group.

The couple dosn't need to do any extra work because I can find that stuff out by talking to them. I don't see how anyone can get value from any service by paying someone to do it for you, and then taking on some of the work yourself, in much the same way that I wouldn't get value paying an electrician to install a couple of sockets in my living room and then saying "Give us yer screwdriver!"
    The wedding guests may not all go out socially together. Some live a good distance away and others enjoy a different lifestyle to the happy couple. The guests' musical tastes can vary greatly.

Zog.

No play list or requests to guide the D.J. is like ordering food in a restaurant for a party of guests with no menu.

Z.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 22-08-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Default Who are we playing music for? Do we take requests?

Well as Good Gig Bad Gig seems to have become " do the bride and groom's friends all like the same music " if I can do this correctly, they will all appear here. If I do it incorrectly, the forum could look like a bomb has gone off in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    The wedding guests may not all go out socially together. Some live a good distance away and others enjoy a different lifestyle to the happy couple. The guests' musical tastes can vary greatly.

Zog.
    Did...did you see me type something to the contrary?

Right, well here we all are in the beautifully appointed new thread. Lots more room in here, and the decor is nicer. The one thing beyond my control is dates. The Forum works in Date Order, and older posts will take precedence. Hence why the introduction is nearly twenty posts along! Right, now we seem to have two concurrent themes in this one, do we take requests, and is the music we play ( requested or otherwise ) tightly focussed, or widely spread. Both options can have pitfalls.

I will offer my thoughts shortly, hopefully, meanwhile, carry on, Boys and Girls.

Did...did you see me type something to the contrary?
    Why do you ask?

Zog.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 24-08-2023 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.