Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Passive Speaker Cables.

Default Passive Speaker Cables.

Anyone using non-powered loud speakers will use cables from the amplifier to the speakers. The bigger the better as losses are reduced.

Has anyone used "welding cables" for this purpose?

Of course powered speakers will have short lengths of internal cables in the cabs, so the cable size should be adequate for the intended purpose and are sized by the makers.

With long runs of cables the bigger the better for band or disco use.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9C&FORM=WRVORC

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Anyone using non-powered loud speakers will use cables from the amplifier to the speakers. The bigger the better as losses are reduced.

Has anyone used "welding cables" for this purpose?

Of course powered speakers will have short lengths of internal cables in the cabs, so the cable size should be adequate for the intended purpose and are sized by the makers.

With long runs of cables the bigger the better for band or disco use.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9C&FORM=WRVORC

Zog.
    Last time I hooked up passive cabs to amplifiers I used 1.5mm sq. mains flex. Did the job fine & losses weren't noticable. I didn't terminate them to banana plugs though. Only Neutrik Speakons for a proper long lasting install. I can't remember the power involved but there was a rack of 6 Citronic PPX900 amps for the tops & bins. For anything temporary I wouldn't use any PVC coated cable these days though - only arctic/rubber/synthetic rubber sheathed cables.. I can't be having kinks in my cables when they're cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Last time I hooked up passive cabs to amplifiers I used 1.5mm sq. mains flex. Did the job fine & losses weren't noticable. I didn't terminate them to banana plugs though. Only Neutrik Speakons for a proper long lasting install. I can't remember the power involved but there was a rack of 6 Citronic PPX900 amps for the tops & bins. For anything temporary I wouldn't use any PVC coated cable these days though - only arctic/rubber/synthetic rubber sheathed cables.. I can't be having kinks in my cables when they're cold!
    Your last point is a good one. I ask my roadies not to coil the 13 Amp. flex around the 4 way 13 Amp trailing sockets when packing away, as the flex turns into a spring when unravelling it at the next set up. That poses a floor tripping hazard.

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Like this.....https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...88&FORM=WRVORC

Zog.