Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Liability Insurance

Default Public Liability Insurance

This one might appeal to those further up north...

I've found a PLI for less than even the "cheap" name...

I've just paid £31.23 for a 1 year PLI for £5m.

Got it from https://www.insure4music.co.uk/

Nearly £9 saved over the "usual" name.

I also use them for my equipment insurance - mainly because it was the only one that offered terms and conditions that actually gave me any cover for the equipment.

Mod Note:
    References to the stereotypical fiscal prudence of certain areas of England and Scotland could easily be construed as Racism, in the current climate of taking offence at such things.

On a serious note, years ago, someone told me that there is a floor below which the price can't fall, as that's what the underwriters charge for the policy. I can't remember what that is, but that must be awfully close to it.
    Also, mine is for £10million, and I have seen venues/jobs requiring that figure.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Something to bear in mind - there are whisperings out there that very soon such cheap policies will no longer be available. Something to do with providers offering training or something and a new underwriter being involved.

Whether it comes to fruition or not is another matter, but something to keep an eye on

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Something to bear in mind - there are whisperings out there that very soon such cheap policies will no longer be available. Something to do with providers offering training or something and a new underwriter being involved.

Whether it comes to fruition or not is another matter, but something to keep an eye on
    And it appears to have come to fruition

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mobi...89167027364029

From Pete Williams at Mobile DJ Network

ADMIN NOTICE - Our current Insurer have decided not to continue offering cover for DJs and Photobooth operators to all organisations from 1st October (This Sunday)
    We have been working hard to secure a new insurer, but this is taking longer than we hoped. We’re close but not finalised yet, so want you to be aware of the situation
    Although we do expect to have cover available very soon, it’s probably not going to be ready for Sunday.
    So, if your Membership expires in the next 2-3 weeks, you may want to renew before this Saturday (30th September).

Reading between the lines - and I'm making some assumptions here - but I wonder if this is more linked to the equipment insurance aspect than the PLI aspect?

I can't imagine there being many PLI payouts - yet I can see equipment insurance being something that gets paid out more - and therefore harder to offer a blanket insurance policy.

I've always done my equipment insurance separately with the only company that provided me with the protection I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Reading between the lines - and I'm making some assumptions here - but I wonder if this is more linked to the equipment insurance aspect than the PLI aspect?

I can't imagine there being many PLI payouts - yet I can see equipment insurance being something that gets paid out more - and therefore harder to offer a blanket insurance policy.

I've always done my equipment insurance separately with the only company that provided me with the protection I needed.
    Also reading between the lines and a lot of the comments I've seen...

Hencilla are apparently losing money on this particular cover. Is it any wonder when you see muppets with tripods barely extended and lasers pointed at eye-level?
    The grapevine as alluded to in an earlier post suggests that only organisations that provide "training" (and I use that term very loosely) will be allowed to be agents for the policy.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 28-09-2023 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Removal of possibly unhelpful comments, with member's approval.

Also reading between the lines and a lot of the comments I've seen...

Hencilla are apparently losing money on this particular cover. Is it any wonder when you see muppets with tripods barely extended and lasers pointed at eye-level?
    The grapevine as alluded to in an earlier post suggests that only organisations that provide "training" (and I use that term very loosely) will be allowed to be agents for the policy.

At the risk of being sued, I'm actually wondering how much input said organisations have had into the decision to exclude certain other organisations from offering the policy so that people join their diminishing ranks?

Just my personal thoughts....

As a rank and file member: Define " training". I remember speaking to a haulage yard manager once, and he said they only had one person with a certificate to say he had been trained and approved in the use of the yard forklift.

And who did he think was the member of staff most likely to cause accident or injury with that machine?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 28-09-2023 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Define " training". I remember speaking to a haulage yard manager once, and he said they only had one person with a certificate to say he had been trained and approved in the use of the yard forklift.
    For me, the training would be around how to create RAMS Documents.

Really, there should be one in place by each DJ for every venue we work at.

Of course, most of it is common sense - but we know that sadly common sense isn't all that common, so it would at least force people to stop and think about what they will be doing.

It might then help an insurer deny some claims where an appropriate risk assessment hadn't been carried out - putting the liability on the DJ.

It would be quite the game changer. Many DJs have asked for years for there to be some form of "accreditation" to show a DJ operates professionally. Such paperwork requirements would definitely achieve that. Venues are very accustomed to asking for a PLI certificate - it wouldn't take long for them to also get used to asking for a RAMS document too.

About time people realised DJing and Photobooths are 2 completely different businesses. Hopefully this is the start of things.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    About time people realised DJing and Photobooths are 2 completely different businesses. Hopefully this is the start of things.
    Oh don't start that one! And Dancefloors, Candy Carts, Post Boxes, light up letters,.......................................... .............................

Seemingly there's more money to be made from not DJ'ing.