Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public Liability Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh don't start that one! And Dancefloors, Candy Carts, Post Boxes, light up letters,.......................................... .............................

Seemingly there's more money to be made from not DJ'ing.

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Certainly in my case!

Oh don't start that one! And Dancefloors, Candy Carts, Post Boxes, light up letters,.......................................... .............................

It's only when you do branch out you realise just how bloody cheap even the average DJ actually is (Mod head on let's avoid turning this into a pricing thread).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    It's only when you do branch out you realise just how bloody cheap even the average DJ actually is (Mod head on let's avoid turning this into a pricing thread).
    Then isn't it exceedingly fortunate that none of our esteemed number are indeed " average"?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I disagree, to play music for 5 hours I think we are well paid.
    Without all the fluff that is really all we do, the problem most have is spending (wasting) too much money on expenses. Hate to say this, but any more senior members will remember Rob, who (can't believe I am saying this) had the right idea behind running his business.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I disagree, to play music for 5 hours I think we are well paid.
    But it never is five hours. Mine are usually at least ten, taking into account travelling and set up/derig. That's halved the rate instantly. There's the prep work too, which can be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Without all the fluff that is really all we do, the problem most have is spending (wasting) too much money on expenses. Hate to say this, but any more senior members will remember Rob, who (can't believe I am saying this) had the right idea behind running his business.
    Correct, I can't believe you're saying this.

We're soon going to get into the discussion of value, and pride. Value that the customer got a top quality product, and pride that you gave him that product to the best of your abilities. I take pride in what I offer, service wise, and equipment wise.

I've long been saying that I'm going to build ( and I now have built ) a " Sid Rig". One/two basic lights, no internet access to Tidal, no radio mic for announcements, and cheap PA, for those low fee gigs in less than salubrious surroundings.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

But it never is five hours. Mine are usually at least ten, taking into account travelling and set up/derig. That's halved the rate instantly. There's the prep work too, which can be significant.

Correct, I can't believe you're saying this.

We're soon going to get into the discussion of value, and pride. Value that the customer got a top quality product, and pride that you gave him that product to the best of your abilities. I take pride in what I offer, service wise, and equipment wise.

I've long been saying that I'm going to build ( and I now have built ) a " Sid Rig". One/two basic lights, no internet access to Tidal, no radio mic for announcements, and cheap PA, for those low fee gigs in less than salubrious surroundings.
    Once that bolt of lighting strikes you will never look back haha

Honestly, for reasons you know, my outlook has completely changed lately. The way I work I would have classed as lazy - BUT no, I am actually doing what people are looking for, and using a lot more common sense. Next year I am probably fully booked (being a full time multi-op you never really get fully booked but Mr VAT man won't be happy if I take many more), I am enjoying things more and getting better feedback than ever.

My lighting gets slated (a light bar and a acme mirrage) but you know what it does the job and customers (you know the people who's opinion really matter) have never complained - in as much as they never compliment if I has £2k moving heads.

All this turns to fee, which I don't really know where I sit if honest, BUT next year am almost flying solo, realistically about fully booked, and only now work a total of around 25/30 hours a week - that includes the 5/6 minutes to pack/unpack the van, 15 minutes to setup, 20 minutes to pack away, 5 minutes to download a couple of songs I don't have .............

As the age old saying goes - work smarter, not harder.

And NO, I still can't believe I said Rob was correct haha - but joking aside, he was the one that retired at 50
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I refuse to live in a world when Rob has the right idea. I don't think being clever with your incomings and outgoings is the sole reason you're retired at 50 either.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk