Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your end of night closing song?

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    I should have said "over" 20 years old.

Zog.
    A couple of years away from being 30 years old.

But seems to be more popular now as a "classic" than it was when it came out.

When I was a bar & club dj the company I worked for had a directive saying anyone who didn't end the night on Dean Martin's That's Amoré would get sacked on the spot. Not could - would! So we did when I'd decided to leave I played Talisman - Only You to finish the night. 5 minutes later I had my very last pay packet in my hand!

These days it just depends. Sometimes I get instructions & it's usually some mush like Never Forget or Semisonic Closing Time (oh please). If it's a wedding & I'm stumped I often just go for a reprise of the first dance.

Sometimes I think you want to go out with the high juuuust tailing off or you'll get hounded for songs by that Juan Moore bloke.

As for old blue eyes. I haven't played NYNY for aeons & nobody's asked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    A couple of years away from being 30 years old.

But seems to be more popular now as a "classic" than it was when it came out.
    Oasis and Abba now seem to be at least as popular now as they were in their heydays. I've said before that this game is cyclical!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

These days it just depends. Sometimes I get instructions & it's usually some mush like Never Forget or Semisonic Closing Time (oh please). If it's a wedding & I'm stumped I often just go for a reprise of the first dance.

Sometimes I think you want to go out with the high juuuust tailing off or you'll get hounded for songs by that Juan Moore bloke.

As for old blue eyes. I haven't played NYNY for aeons & nobody's asked for it.
    Agreed entirely.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

A while back I was playing the bride & groom's chosen last song & a guest came over. He wanted me to yank it & put his choice on. You'll Never Walk Alone, because it's the groom's favourite.(a likely story !). I politely told him no chance. He persisted so I showed him that I didn't actually have it (pro tip: search where you know it won't be found). He got more irate. Anyway after the end of the night song the couple got a huge round of applause, the house lights came on & I started packing down.

The Gerry & The Pacemakers fan came back, again loudly turning the air blue. He said I was a stuck up c-bomb & that he'd make sure I never work in the town he's from. The remaining guests looked stunned. The happy couple looked disgusted. Quick as a flash I replied "mate. I'm already way ahead of you.". That got a few laughs & someone dragged uncle idiot away.

Oh! That reminds me of another last song incident too! I'd had a request from the groom to end the night on Never Forget (if possible,). So I did. What I didn't expect was the bride's face to turn to thunder & scream "I HATE Take That!!!". Oopsie. I quickly replaced it with Bohemian Rhapsody if memory serves... oof.

I usually finish with something quite upbeat - Pretty Green Eyes, Cascada or the bootleg of Still into You seems to be very popular - nightmare is when they want Children of the Night to finish and you get hounded all night to play it haha.

Lately I have done a lot of Rock based weddings so (if my choice) the song of choice has to be no other than The Who - Won't get fooled again however their choice is often AC/DC - Thunderstruck - out of all the great AC/DC songs why do they pick that one ??

Scottish weddings are my favourite as nearly always end with Loch Lomond - to most probably as cheesy as Come on Eileen but I think it is the best finish you can have still.

So suppose it is a bit variety - as for NYNY, must be 10 years since I played it I think, certainly before I started using VDJ
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Parts of it are in line with what I and others have found.

Other parts are laughable.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Parts of it are in line with what I and others have found.

Other parts are laughable.

Zog.