Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do we think about this mobile setup?

Default What do we think about this mobile setup?

Given that the video is 12 years old, it doesn't really feel fair to make any comments.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

"The past is a foreign country", as the saying goes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Why are you asking ?
    Genuine question.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Why are you asking ?
    Genuine question.
    1. Because I can, and

2. I am interested in your responses.

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    "The past is a foreign country", as the saying goes.
    A line from the story "The Go Between" by J.R. Hartley. A very good period film as well.

But some things never age.

Zog.https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...177D64DA22A940
    Last edited by Excalibur; 25-09-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Honestly, I've been there and done that and I'm SO glad that technology has moved on to give us brighter, more compact lights with less weight. I'm definitely not going to miss the moving heads and scanners that either blew halogen bulbs like they were bubblegum or weighed 15kg a go.

I'm not going to talk about the speakers though as tech hasn't really moved that far in the last decade when it comes to audio.

Hats off to anyone who decides that they want to stick with this stuff to provide a true "retro" rig.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Hats off to anyone who decides that they want to stick with this stuff to provide a true "retro" rig.

Julian
    You know Julian, I was with you right up to that line. A couple of acres of lightboxes didn't take a lot of wiring up. Unless you had an infinity tunnel, it didn't weigh a lot either. Young Wayne offers a very nice line in retro rigs, and I know where he's coming from with it. It's a nod to nostalgia, and something he can offer that many others don't. He's still feeding it with the latest gear, and not black plastic, so it's not truly authentic in that respect. Not a problem in my eyes.

Done in that way, it's not as arduous as it used to be. Now tons of vinyl in milk/beer crates, delicate styli in turntables and other things would indeed make it a penance. Where's Nigel/Mike when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You know Julian, I was with you right up to that line. A couple of acres of lightboxes didn't take a lot of wiring up. Unless you had an infinity tunnel, it didn't weigh a lot either. Young Wayne offers a very nice line in retro rigs, and I know where he's coming from with it. It's a nod to nostalgia, and something he can offer that many others don't. He's still feeding it with the latest gear, and not black plastic, so it's not truly authentic in that respect. Not a problem in my eyes.

Done in that way, it's not as arduous as it used to be. Now tons of vinyl in milk/beer crates, delicate styli in turntables and other things would indeed make it a penance. Where's Nigel/Mike when you need him?
    It gets me quite a bit of business believe it or not. It's different and people like different. Now if I could find a backup for the Pulsar Zero4000 I'd be a much happier bunny but they appear to be as rare as rocking horse faeces at the moment.

It's still a pain in the wassits though having taken it out on Saturday just gone. It literally only just fits into the van these days and yes, that centre screen containing the infinity tunnel weighs in the region of 4 stone! I was actually ruing the decision to replace the lamps with LEDs on Saturday though once the sun went down.

As for latest gear, Saturday's photo did indeed show a brace of Kam Powerbars. I have got incandescents but was expecting a slightly bigger area to light. The audio side is always digital I'm afraid. I'm not a martyr

Despite the fact it took three people who knows how long to lug that lot in & set it all up there really isn't very much light output evident in the video or the photos later on. Was that video really only 12 years old? How old was the gear in the video? Fully programmable lights (with a still photo of a mover not doing anything)!

If that's how people want to work - carrying loads of gear in that doesn't really do much - that's their lookout. For me it's all about maximum output for the least possible effort without looking like an eyesore, within a reasonable budget. Yes I really said least possible effort. I'm in this business to have a bit of fun making some money without putting my back out (or resorting to buying Chauvet Gigbars).

Tastes vary of course but for me that rig just wasn't worth the effort put in. I know from bitter experience what a chew on those bolt together booths are (unless you have a big enough van to keep it assembled all the time & venues don't challenge its entry) & running individual power cables to each fixture gawd... spare me all that!

As for retro rigs in general they're really not my cuppa at all. If that's what people want to do, and if people want to book that let em have it but we've never had it so good with compact, lightweight fixtures that don't cost the Earth & do a bang up job lighting a place up right. Yes the older gear makes a nice change though, from all the identikit discos out there rocking black cloth draped booths adorned with little twinkly lights (or worse, white scrims ugh), and amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Yes the older gear makes a nice change though, from all the identikit discos out there rocking black cloth draped booths adorned with little twinkly lights (or worse, white scrims ugh), and amen to that!
    USP!

As Wayne alluded to, it's a marketing point, and I applaud anyone who spots this, and capitalises on it.

Me, baa I'll baa, stick baa with baa, my baa modern baa black booth baa and lights. Baa.