Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Well Hello, A Question and update from me!

Smile Well Hello, A Question and update from me!

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me, some may not. I was active on this forum in my younger days and got myself into all kinds of online (hopefully friendly) arguments with some members here.

Anyway, about 10 years have passed and hopefully a shade more mature and wise now, I come to you for help!

I am getting married this year, and want to take care of the uplighting myself (we've booked a band and I have some experience in this field)

My question is: Can anyone point me into what is the best product to purchase for uplighting a fairly large barn venue these days? I'll need probably 12 or so and am happy to consider all budgets. Even better if somebody here is selling a complete "kit" (I have no kit any longer)

Thanks for reading, and if any of the old faces are around still - I hope you are doing well.

Cheers!
    Matt

Hi Matt,

I would have joined since your break, so wouldn't have talked before. Welcome back

My thoughts from my experience (and spoiler alert, it won't directly answer your question).

Uplighting has become quite expensive to buy. To do the job, you're looking at units starting at £150 each. The maths on 12 of those quickly adds up.

And yes, you can sell them on afterwards, but you'll take quite a hit on it.

Being a barn, electric options are rarely in abundance, so you'd be needing battery powered uplighters.

So my recommendation would be to find a local 'wedding venue decoration" company that hires out uplighting. You'll probably find the cost of hire isn't too expensive.

Oh go on, I'll answer it.

This is what I'd consider the "industry standard" now: https://www.djkit.com/chauvet/chauve...par-tri-6.html

And these would be a good entry level option: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...-QCL-Spot/46SA

Keep an eye on some of the DJ selling groups on Facebook - if you can pick up a set second hand, then provided the batteries are in good health, then that could work out quite well, and you should be able to resell for about the same amount once you're done with them.
    Last edited by rth_discos; 29-01-2024 at 06:43 PM.

Hi Matt! I do remember you from before, apps and stuff, too.... welcome back!

I'd just hire them personally in your position.

Naturally most uplighters now are wireless which have their own pros and cons but does make them more expensive than they use to be. Depends on colour too I've got some very basic uplighters which do the job but are only RGB so colour choices are somewhat limited.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

As mentioned hire would be the best way - you can get it cheap as chips too
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Hello Matt. Welcome back.

Sadly, I have bad news for you. Maturity does not guarantee or even encourage wisdom.

Only jesting young 'un, at least by now you should know what mistakes to avoid repeating.

My two pennorth of advice is to hire the kit, or hire a DJ who has the kit.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

If you're hell bent on buying, this is an erstwhile member of the Forum, Tony Tiger.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk