Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash bang and flash again

Default Flash bang and flash again

Time for a challenge for everyone. Something to make you think and question what you do.

There was a thread about clients and lighting that sort of branched off into another angle, so I thought maybe it would be good to explore this a little more.

Now I am a firm believer that a successful booking and happy client is about entertainment and has nothing to do with flashy lighting. But I also love my flashy lighting and wouldn't be without it.

So what is it that clients want from a disco. This is actually a very very very hard thing to answer, so please think carefully before you jump in. I can guarantee you that in most cases, what we think the client wants is actually exactly that, what WE think they want and not at all what they really want. We think they want a good light show, when the client couldn't care less. We think they want a DJ in black tie, when they wanted jeans. WE think that our clients want a DJ that doesn't talk, when they actually want one who won't shut up, WE think that light boxes are old hat, but our client thought that was what a disco was all about.... I could go on.

Now I always intend to send out feedback forms to my clients and never do - so maybe those of you who do will have some real answers to this one?

For me, it is painfully difficult not only to recognise what my clients really want, but more so to be bold enough to do it. So not only am I asking what we honestly think our clients want from our disco's, but are you brave enough to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    We think they want a good light show, when the client couldn't care less.
    For the majority of bookings, yes.

However, I have two bookings this month based on the rig I use.

Quote Originally Posted by whitehousejamie View Post
    For the majority of bookings, yes.

However, I have two bookings this month based on the rig I use.
    Can you give us more details Jamie - what is it that made them book - is this a large corporate gig or simply someone who likes the lights - keen to know!

Can you give us more details Jamie - what is it that made them book - is this a large corporate gig or simply someone who likes the lights - keen to know!
    One is a corporate booking, where they want a nice static look for pre disco schedule, the second is a private party where the client that doesn't want an "average" sound and lighting set up.

Regards,

Jamie

the drastcally simplified answer is ..... everyone is different..... lighting wise ive had people call up really after parcans lightscreens etc and others that have said you dont use those rubbish spotlights and boxes do you??

i think what they do expect is to have a good time listening to the music that they like at a level they like it getting what they have asked for from a service.... some like a chatty personality dj some like you to shut up and play the **** music....

unless you actually ask clients "what is it you are after from your evening you are just guessing allbeit an experienced educated guess"

you would be suprised how many venue managers/clients ive spoken too that think bass bins are the most ridiculous invention ever...
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Now I am a firm believer that a successful booking and happy client is about entertainment and has nothing to do with flashy lighting. But I also love my flashy lighting and wouldn't be without it.
    Good topic.

I totally agree with you to a point. The exception being youth events where good lighting is expected.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Good topic.

I totally agree with you to a point. The exception being youth events where good lighting is expected.
    absolutely but that goes back to my point of finding out exactly what the client expects from their experience. some will say i want a nightclub in my village hall some will say granny hates all those flashing strobe things what can you do?
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

I think the dreaded paylist is always a good start-however at the last Wedding despite being supplied with a playlist plus Guns n Roses and Metallica music --not my cup of tea-- a little girl said can we have oops up inside yre head---

I got her to ask the bride---- no problem went down well.

So possibly Rice not only we do not know what the client always wants--they dont either!!!

I can only say I think a playlist can help BUT im doing an Xmas Party Thursday and they couldnt be bothered to complete a playlist --they said your quote said Mainstream and Xmas party Music---brilliant just what we want---carry on !

Maybe the answer is to incorporate some questions in your responder form when getting enquiries to see if you can get a better idea.

Next year with the help of Richie im concentrating on using responder forms to hopefully get more quote requests and also as you highlight find out what the preferences MIGHT be.

CRAZY K

Mossy

Great topic

After almost 20 years DJing, I honestly do not know the answer to that.

When I take a booking I spend about 10 minutes discussing their expectations, their wants and after listening to what they have said I throw in a few suggestions. I welcome play-lists either by letter or email and if they send one I use it at the event.

Mid-way through the event I always ask the host if everything is OK

At the end of the event I always ask if they got the night they wanted

In my experience I would say that most customers couldn't care less about the lighting (as long as you have some), most will remember if you played a good mix of music, most will remember if it wasn't too loud and most will remember if you 'entertained' them.

Having said that I don't really have a standard light rig, the lights I take to an event are determined by the type of party and the venue (size etc), if it's an 18th I take scanners, lasers, smoke etc if it's a wedding I take Cham 3e's and set the Gobo's to 'Wedding' and 'Congratulations' and have those hitting the walls and use Datamoons for the floor.

I usually try and do something according to how I would want it doing if I was the person hosting the party, but that's difficult in this instance because I am a DJ and I know about lights etc etc, so as long as they are happy at the end of the night then I am happy.

Mossy

Mossy

Would it be worth us all posting our 'feedback forms' so we can see what everyone else is asking?????

I'd be happy to do that, because whilst I feel mine is pretty good I am sure that someone is probably asking a question that I am not, or that they are phrasing it better than me.

I'm never too old to learn and I'm never too proud to steal (errrr use with permission) someone else's good idea.

Anyone else up for doing that??????

Mossy