Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash bang and flash again

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
    Would it be worth us all posting our 'feedback forms' so we can see what everyone else is asking?????

I'd be happy to do that, because whilst I feel mine is pretty good I am sure that someone is probably asking a question that I am not, or that they are phrasing it better than me.

I'm never too old to learn and I'm never too proud to steal (errrr use with permission) someone else's good idea.

Anyone else up for doing that??????

Mossy
    Why not start a new topic and see if it generates any interest.

I hope i'm not going off topic too much here. Referring back to a couple of the earlier posts regarding lighting. Unless the client ask for a particular type of lighting then for the most part thay won't pay much attention to your rig. after all it's the entertainment that counts. A top class light show won't make up for a bad playlist and nobody on the dancefloor.

As for the comment that sometimes the client doesn't always know what they want. whilst it is their day (talking about weddings here) and you try to do what they want, they want their guests to enjoy the day as well. So there is no point playing everything that the b&g ask for if your not getting a (favopurable) reaction from the crowd.

In a nutshell. Ask what they want, then make a few polite suggestions based on your past experiences. They kmow (most of) the people at the party and you know what gets people moving (to the floor or to the door )

In my experience I would say that most customers couldn't care less about the lighting (as long as you have some), most will remember if you played a good mix of music, most will remember if it wasn't too loud and most will remember if you 'entertained' them.
    Spot on, I agree.

Having said that, there is still a certain 'standard' for lighting that I like my DJs to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Spot on, I agree.

Having said that, there is still a certain 'standard' for lighting that I like my DJs to have.
    Exactly. A client may not fully notice the difference between a rig consiting of 4 50w moon flowers, and a full DMX'd rig with moving heads and scanners, they wont think "oh he's got no DMX lights" - obviously, but they will notice the quality to an extent.

Lighting is what makes provide a "disco" instead of just a DJ, without lights, technically we wouldn't be a disco, so they are important.

When I started this post I knew exactly where I was going....and now I don't soooo....

In conclusion, lighting does matter, however only to a certain extent, and because a client doesn't always notice a shiney lighting rig, it doesn't mean you can't have one.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Stop agreeing with me Will.

You're starting to worry me...

Would it be worth us all posting our 'feedback forms' so we can see what everyone else is asking?????

I'd be happy to do that, because whilst I feel mine is pretty good I am sure that someone is probably asking a question that I am not, or that they are phrasing it better than me.

I'm never too old to learn and I'm never too proud to steal (errrr use with permission) someone else's good idea.

Anyone else up for doing that??????

Mossy
    I actually am very bad at this. I don't have a standard feedback form and I generally don;t send one out - I would love to see what you do and maybe pinch some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    Exactly. A client may not fully notice the difference between a rig consiting of 4 50w moon flowers, and a full DMX'd rig with moving heads and scanners, they wont think "oh he's got no DMX lights" - obviously, but they will notice the quality to an extent.

Lighting is what makes provide a "disco" instead of just a DJ, without lights, technically we wouldn't be a disco, so they are important.

When I started this post I knew exactly where I was going....and now I don't soooo....

In conclusion, lighting does matter, however only to a certain extent, and because a client doesn't always notice a shiney lighting rig, it doesn't mean you can't have one.
    crikey were all agreeing with each other on this thread.... i have to confess i got my dmx lighting as i think it gives the impression of a better quality more up market show imho rater than just loads of colour all over the place just get that "oooooooooh look his lights are all doing the same thing / opposite as each other magic" that as ive said is my opinion.....

all the feedback ive got have commented on the "great mix of music" "my commitment to getting people up and dancing" "you played great music" etc yeah ive had one or 2 that have said "maybe a touch more x music" as people will know i dont profess in any way to be perfect but the key is to act on these comments after all that is what feedback is really for not to say hey look how brilliant i am but to help you improve what you do and make it an even better experience for those paying you.

only 2 people have commented directly on my lighting one a 10 year old girl who thought my lasers were the most amazing thing shes ever seen and on the other side a school i do regularly when i first started with 8 spots 2 screens and 2 twister asked if they could possibly have a touch more lighting as it was a big hall they used and the teachers were struggling to spot snoggers....
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 03-12-2006 at 09:58 AM.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

I started taking an interest in this industry probably rather older than the rest of you, and had many many years of attending parties, weddings, etc where mobile discos and DJs were employed - even booked a couple myself, so I have probably seen hundreds in my time, but as a punter rather than someone involved in the business...... and I can honestly say that I cannot remember the lighting from a single one; nor can I recall any other guest ever mentioning it.

What I remember was whether they played the right music to get everybody dancing, and that is when everybody says it was a great night.

I also remember a couple of rigs looking 'tatty' and comments being made about that (doesn't go down too well when everything else has been decorated beautifully)

I agree with you about not noticing the lighting at the numerous functions I have attended over the years. It all used to be low level light boxes and sequencers so unless you were at the front, you couldn't see it anyway! Its also strange how you become totally oblivious to the lighting after the alcohol takes effect but you can still appreciate the music I probably dance with my eyes closed after a few drinks!

having done some market research this weekend with friends families they have all said music is most important both right music and right level .... the only comments on lighting was if people have been to functions with no stands people seem to remember the lights when they are just perched on tables / chairs / speakers ...... although this may have come to mind because they know what i take out.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote