Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: is Karaoke dying?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliners View Post
    i wouldent say karaoke is harder than disco because the punters choose what they wanna sing but in disco you have to read the crowed
    It's not that side of things that is harder.

Try taking requests, while eq-ing singers, sorting out the order of the singers, making sure you've got your eye on the volume in case people start screaming and finding the next track at the same time and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliners View Post
    i wouldent say karaoke is harder than disco because the punters choose what they wanna sing but in disco you have to read the crowed
    Totally disagree here. Its not so bad if you are doing just karaoke, but then you get those singers (who cant sing to save their lives), but think you can make them sound just like the record, so they moan. This is in spite of the fact that you have adjusted the key to try and suit their out of tune voice, and pushed the gain up on the mike, so they can be heard, (because they hold the mike about 12 inches away from their mouth) which then results in you having to monitor the mike for feedback quite carefully, but you still get feedback, irrespective of where the singer is positioned.

There is also those who just keep putting the wrong numbers on the request slip, meaning you have to check each disc number, so as to prevent you looking like a complete amateur.

Then there are those, who wont fill out a request slip, only coming up to you, just as you are checking a disc no, or loading a disc, to say, "can I do so and so, no artist given, or worse someone asking to do a song, giving you only a line from the song - - "nightmare".

The hardest ones are when you are doing disco and karaoke, especially if you are providing the full mashings - lots of lighting, smoke machine, etc., etc., You then have a double wammie, the karaoke hastle, and reading the crowd. Not to mention of course the need to hire a 40 footer just to carry all the gear you need, (a bit of an exaggeration here I know).

We do a lot of corporate gigs, for karaoke, and I must admist when people want karaoke, they do tend to come to us, or so it seems. So by providing karaoke as well you get that extra work, when its available, on top of your normal disco.

It is expensive to run karaoke, in comparison to disco, expecially running karaoke as well as disco.

Martyn
    Kaira Solutions - DK Karaoke & Disco

Covering Leeds, Yorkshire wide, Central, North Eash, and North West and Southern England
    No hearing aids required, but sunglasses may come in useful.

In my area I dont think it is, in fact i would say its rising, Pubs are now starting to do more karaoke as most people dont have the equipment at home so its bringing more people back to the pubs after the smoking ban.

If you get what I mean