Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit Cards

Default Credit Cards

There have a been a couple of mentions about taking booking fees over the phone. Think that's a great idea, so how do you do it?

I don't have and for my own reasons don't really want a "business" account (although I do have a completely seperate account for the business!), but is there a way of accepting cards over the phone - much like a lot of on-line shops do.

Would rather not do the Paypal thing, gives the client chance to go away and thing. A simple, what's you number over the phone payment would be ideal - but is it possible?

We use Nochex, which although on line is not a paypal type thing (ask Angela when she's on next)
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Rice, You would need a merchants bank account and get a POS (Point Of Sale) machine installed, unfortunately they will insist on a business bank account and the fee's are horrendous unless you have a regular turnover via credit card, basically you will find that you need at least a grand a day via credit cards.

TBH IMHO i don't think it would be worthwhile, best to go down either nochex or paypal routes.
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow

Depends on the number of transactions you put through, but paypal now offer a "Virtual Terminal" option whereby for a monthly fee you can take credit card details over the phone and key them directly into their system online. I think last time I looked there was a free introductory period. Might be worth a look-see?
    Last edited by Vectis; 23-01-2007 at 01:56 PM.

or you could just take paypal- the customer can charge it to their card.

to be honest though, i wouldn't have thought it would be worth the cost and hassle- why not just suggest people use bank transfer- costs nothing.

to be honest though, i wouldn't have thought it would be worth the cost and hassle- why not just suggest people use bank transfer- costs nothing.
    I think the idea at hand is that whilst the client is on the line, a booking fee can be taken.

I used to use Quickbooks as my account programme, it uses the Worldpay system to allow you to take credit card payments over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    I think the idea at hand is that whilst the client is on the line, a booking fee can be taken.

I used to use Quickbooks as my account programme, it uses the Worldpay system to allow you to take credit card payments over the phone.
    but you can do that with paypal can't you?

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    but you can do that with paypal can't you?
    As I understand it, in it's basic form, Paypal would require the person paying to log on and make a payment themselve - something which is hardly likely to happen during a phone call.

The idea was as has been suggested, to take a card payment directly over the phone - "Can I book you then"? and "certainly sir, booking fee of £50, do you have a credit card and we can do it now"

There is a way to take credit card payments through PayPal, and possibly Nochex over the phone, although I'm not sure that PayPal would approve of the method, so I won't mention it here. The only other option is only worthwhile if you take regular payments, as mentioned before..

i don't see that paypal whilst on the phone is a problem- most people have broadband and a land line.
    only takes 2 mins.
    still think a cheque or bank transfer is enough though given the 5% costs you are likely to incurr